• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you need or do you have a frame of reference?

Lark

Do you need or do you have a frame of reference?

I've read about how religion and ideology can be typified as frames of reference, they provide an object of devotion, ie God, community, leaders, homeland, and a code of ethics as a guideline to behaviour and choices.

By that measure or description do you think you have a frame of reference? Or do you think you need one?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The earth is the closest thing I have to an external frame of reference. I measure time with respect to its seasons, speed with respect to its motion, and distances with respect to its surface. To some extent, I measure good by what cares for the earth and keeps it healthy, functional and beautiful for all who depend on it.

G

garbage

I prefer to take in a whole boatload of frames of references, then strive to come up with a unified, all-encompassing whole. I'm not devoted to any of them; it'd be a lie to say that I'm not affected by societal expectations, but I do try to dig into what it's really about, which means continually chewing and spitting out different worldviews.

I think that the scientific method is the best method that we have to determine the fundamental truths of our world, though it's not without its limitations. One place where it's not so limited, however, is course-correction in the face of the discovery of new evidence or of new ways of looking at evidence--which is important as the zeitgeist changes. I may or may not, therefore, be said to use it as a frame of reference.

One thing I'm interested in, for example, is how our innate neurology has driven our moral sentiments, which we have then codified into standards and laws that have certain cultural and specific differences but many general aspects in common. These core 'truths' are as close to an external moral frame of reference that I can come up with, and they're very nebulous; so it's a lifelong search, but an important one.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
The earth is the closest thing I have to an external frame of reference. I measure time with respect to its seasons, speed with respect to its motion, and distances with respect to its surface.

Yep, that.

Regarding behavior and choices, the general perception of what is considered "normal," as defined by the people that I like, is my external reference.

KDude

Whatever is fun, doesn't kill me, and doesn't attract too much attention. I'm a little sketchy on the second one, especially with health. Not all things that kill you are immediate. And it's hard juggling 1 and 3 sometimes.

Space Socks

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I prefer to take in a whole boatload of frames of references, then strive to come up with a unified, all-encompassing whole. I'm not devoted to any of them; it'd be a lie to say that I'm not affected by societal expectations, but I do try to dig into what it's really about, which means continually chewing and spitting out different worldviews.

I think that the scientific method is the best method that we have to determine the fundamental truths of our world, though it's not without its limitations. One place where it's not so limited, however, is course-correction in the face of the discovery of new evidence or of new ways of looking at evidence--which is important as the zeitgeist changes. I may or may not, therefore, be said to use it as a frame of reference.

One thing I'm interested in, for example, is how our innate neurology has driven our moral sentiments, which we have then codified into standards and laws that have certain cultural and specific differences but many general aspects in common. These core 'truths' are as close to an external moral frame of reference that I can come up with, and they're very nebulous; so it's a lifelong search, but an important one.

I agree. We have the forms of morality or standard of truths that is relative to some given culture, but the universal aspects become absolutes when these differences are acknowledged to exist. Every culture has some level of ethnocentric view, and I think as individuals we defend and live by our own truths and laws in order to readily be able to adopt a new(better) one. Of course, this isn't always the case, but I'd like to think so.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree. We have the forms of morality or standard of truths that is relative to some given culture, but the universal aspects become absolutes when these differences are acknowledged to exist. Every culture has some level of ethnocentric view, and I think as individuals we defend and live by our own truths and laws in order to readily be able to adopt a new(better) one. Of course, this isn't always the case, but I'd like to think so.

How can they be absolutes, if they are different?

Don't mean to nitpick, just trying to understand.

I think of absolutism as One Way.

Space Socks

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Thank you for pointing that out

I should clarify. I use (absolute)s to encompass for what is potentially true.

It may also be in my error to apply it so to ideas, so perhaps implicational rather than absolutes.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, unlocked infinite potential & unconditional love for all entities.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I'm kind of insecure, so I guess I keep trying to find some sort of heuristic...

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In Einstein's Theory of Relativity, light is the reference point all speeds are compared against.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's kind of difficult not to imagine having a frame of reference for things.

Maybe its just in my nature to compare and contrast things.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Me too.

My frame of reference is static but constantly being adjusted - added to and taken away from. I find that many frames overlap and fit into one another, and many add up to form a better defined picture just like adding axes to a graph - like using both the Enneagram and MBTI to describe personality. They are different systems but can work alongside one another without discounting one another's validity.

As for needing - I think it is part of human nature to seek consistency in worldview.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i call it worldview. and that includes my understandig of human nature and my selfimage. and it's the most relevant thing to me. i consciously navigate in life, by working hard on this 'reference'/worldview. then, how i act follows from this reference in automatic, spontanous, unplanned manner, for the most part. so it's my main area of intra-personal intelligence.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you only have one frame of reference you're boring and wrong. Genius is how many contradictory ones you can hold before going insane