User Tag List

12 Last

Default Do you need or do you have a frame of reference?

Do you need or do you have a frame of reference?

I've read about how religion and ideology can be typified as frames of reference, they provide an object of devotion, ie God, community, leaders, homeland, and a code of ethics as a guideline to behaviour and choices.

By that measure or description do you think you have a frame of reference? Or do you think you need one?

Anew Leaf

I am my frame of reference.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I am my frame of reference.
    +1
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

The earth is the closest thing I have to an external frame of reference. I measure time with respect to its seasons, speed with respect to its motion, and distances with respect to its surface. To some extent, I measure good by what cares for the earth and keeps it healthy, functional and beautiful for all who depend on it.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

garbage

I prefer to take in a whole boatload of frames of references, then strive to come up with a unified, all-encompassing whole. I'm not devoted to any of them; it'd be a lie to say that I'm not affected by societal expectations, but I do try to dig into what it's really about, which means continually chewing and spitting out different worldviews.

I think that the scientific method is the best method that we have to determine the fundamental truths of our world, though it's not without its limitations. One place where it's not so limited, however, is course-correction in the face of the discovery of new evidence or of new ways of looking at evidence--which is important as the zeitgeist changes. I may or may not, therefore, be said to use it as a frame of reference.

One thing I'm interested in, for example, is how our innate neurology has driven our moral sentiments, which we have then codified into standards and laws that have certain cultural and specific differences but many general aspects in common. These core 'truths' are as close to an external moral frame of reference that I can come up with, and they're very nebulous; so it's a lifelong search, but an important one.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    The earth is the closest thing I have to an external frame of reference. I measure time with respect to its seasons, speed with respect to its motion, and distances with respect to its surface.
    Yep, that.

Regarding behavior and choices, the general perception of what is considered "normal," as defined by the people that I like, is my external reference.

Whatever is fun, doesn't kill me, and doesn't attract too much attention. I'm a little sketchy on the second one, especially with health. Not all things that kill you are immediate. And it's hard juggling 1 and 3 sometimes.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    I prefer to take in a whole boatload of frames of references, then strive to come up with a unified, all-encompassing whole. I'm not devoted to any of them; it'd be a lie to say that I'm not affected by societal expectations, but I do try to dig into what it's really about, which means continually chewing and spitting out different worldviews.

I think that the scientific method is the best method that we have to determine the fundamental truths of our world, though it's not without its limitations. One place where it's not so limited, however, is course-correction in the face of the discovery of new evidence or of new ways of looking at evidence--which is important as the zeitgeist changes. I may or may not, therefore, be said to use it as a frame of reference.

One thing I'm interested in, for example, is how our innate neurology has driven our moral sentiments, which we have then codified into standards and laws that have certain cultural and specific differences but many general aspects in common. These core 'truths' are as close to an external moral frame of reference that I can come up with, and they're very nebulous; so it's a lifelong search, but an important one.
    I agree. We have the forms of morality or standard of truths that is relative to some given culture, but the universal aspects become absolutes when these differences are acknowledged to exist. Every culture has some level of ethnocentric view, and I think as individuals we defend and live by our own truths and laws in order to readily be able to adopt a new(better) one. Of course, this isn't always the case, but I'd like to think so.
    I just want to float.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Space Socks View Post
    I agree. We have the forms of morality or standard of truths that is relative to some given culture, but the universal aspects become absolutes when these differences are acknowledged to exist. Every culture has some level of ethnocentric view, and I think as individuals we defend and live by our own truths and laws in order to readily be able to adopt a new(better) one. Of course, this isn't always the case, but I'd like to think so.
    How can they be absolutes, if they are different?

Don't mean to nitpick, just trying to understand.

I think of absolutism as One Way.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ISFJ

Thank you for pointing that out

I should clarify. I use (absolute)s to encompass for what is potentially true.

It may also be in my error to apply it so to ideas, so perhaps implicational rather than absolutes.
    I just want to float.