• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Human Needs: Creativity

Lark

Carrying on my thinking about Erich Fromm's typology and outline of human needs the next one is creativity, Fromm saw the productive, creative individual as the healthy one, in that sense he saw man as a frustrated producer rather than a frustrated consumer and was in congruence with Marx and some of the other romantic critics of classical economics.

2. Creativity

Fromm believes that we all desire to overcome, to transcend, another fact of our being: Our sense of being passive creatures. We want to be creators. There are many ways to be creative: We give birth, we plant seeds, we make pots, we paint pictures, we write books, we love each other. Creativity is, in fact, an expression of love

Unfortunately, some don't find an avenue for creativity. Frustrated, they attempt to transcend their passivity by becoming destroyers instead. Destroying puts me "above" the things -- or people -- I destroy. It makes me feel powerful. We can hate as well as love. But in the end, it fails to bring us that sense of transcendence we need.

http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/fromm.html

I find this one interesting because a lot of the creative drives at present I see invested in a sort of innovation which isnt stand alone innovation but an innovation which aims to destroy the legacies of the past.

Its not something I think is a good thing, sure there are aspects of tradition which fresh insights render questionable but I think there are also positive legacies which are dispensed with, sort of like throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Although I wonder if its possible to be creative in a manner which is in no way destructive or if there's just conflict like that and its necessary?

gromit

likes this
I find this one interesting because a lot of the creative drives at present I see invested in a sort of innovation which isnt stand alone innovation but an innovation which aims to destroy the legacies of the past.

Which?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think creative types are destroying the past at all or attempting to. It's just that the needs of the world have changed because circumstances have changed. They're just responding to those basic needs because they aren't being met in the older system.

On a different more creative note! I believe the universe is geared toward infinite complexity and the act of creation "makes the universe anew" helps it to interact in new never before seen ways. To me this is god. I think parts of god are hell to itself because there is a stanard deviation of 6+ magnitudes in the experiential matrix. This is when angels are incarnated to reintegrate god into itself.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Which legacies of the past?

Innovation that doesn't require resources that have already been used is one. Innovation that is so far removed from those legacies that they are inculcated from the change produced.

Also, I just think of creativity as the most healthy response to stress (as opposed to anger, depression, or other coping mechanisms)

Also, on an interesting note people living on less than $2/day who can afford to buy enough calories to maintain healthy weight will instead eat less and splurge on entertainment. I tjink this shows that the NEED for creativity is very real (which upon reading the post title is what I thought this thread was about)

Lark

Which legacies of the past?
Innovation that doesn't require resources that have already been used is one. Innovation that is so far removed from those legacies that they are inculcated from the change produced.

Also, I just think of creativity as the most healthy response to stress (as opposed to anger, depression, or other coping mechanisms)

Also, on an interesting note people living on less than $2/day who can afford to buy enough calories to maintain healthy weight will instead eat less and splurge on entertainment. I tjink this shows that the NEED for creativity is very real (which upon reading the post title is what I thought this thread was about)

Mainly memory.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Interesting! Reminds me of Proust. I don't know about that. Actually, I believe in a "probabilistic" past precisely because usable information sustained in memory tends to degrade over time as its structure collapses. I believe Maxwell's demon circumvention was done in 2006 with single photon cooling using conservation of angular momentum though

Lark

Interesting! Reminds me of Proust. I don't know about that. Actually, I believe in a "probabilistic" past precisely because usable information sustained in memory tends to degrade over time as its structure collapses. I believe Maxwell's demon circumvention was done in 2006 with single photon cooling using conservation of angular momentum though

To a certain extent I believe in that too but I think that if circumstances were correct then the learning of one generation could be transmitted to the next and permit them not to have to repeat so much of the experience of the previous generation themselves meaning that true progress could begin to happen rather than just a series of learning, forgetting and going over old ground.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ah! I guess what worries me is that when we create structures to satisfy human needs some tend to be valued as more important than others. The people who disagree get marginalized. If there is nothing to degrade this we become trapped in stereotypes of of action which influences our thoughts and eventually our soul. If that were to happen it would make me very sad. I don't think it is about choosing between the two though but rather of discovering new holistic ways of being that allow for either. The beauty of humanity is that we DO both, we just tend to get "locked" in one. Perhaps you and I should make babies Lark :D

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
“Happiness is not the mere possession of money; it is the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort; it has such a magic that is indescribable. It has such an eternal essence that quite literally grabs on the heart strings in our very soul.

It takes a gift to capture an essence as a flower, and these gifted men and women are as considered too be wise. They are after all mortal. But yet they capture the imagination, they pull upon the draw strings of our heart. Playing upon our conscious as such a gifted poet or artist, indeed musician extraordinaire can be added to the pantheon that stir and echo our deepest most heartfelt emotions and bring them to the air and light of day.

I need to get my soul to communicate. It is much as a type of valve; at times words rush out of me, i am in a flow being. I try not to let ego get in a way of communication. I do try to listen what the universe can whisper. Writing, anything artistic in which one can leave their individuality to connect with the greater world, all is one and as such it is a trance; a form of meditation and a talk to a higher power. Time it does stand still

I shall share, it is a belief any sharing, feeling, deep thought, abstraction based sharing or a sharing of experiences helps to fortify a corps de espirit. It is profound. It is no mistaking it. I said endorphins were arising. It is how I feel at times when I write. It is as if tapping into a universal well filled brimming with wise sayings. They come unbidden to me. I am in flow, for I certainly feel creative. An ecstasy if you will. Yes, a deep true sharing feels deep richness. As such it adds spice to life.

The less the ego is involved, the better and more beautiful the art is, it apparently is to act or do without thinking. That is to let the right creative side take over. Let it flow out of you. When thinking we seek to control the end, rather than have a preliminary thought or concept and let it unfold naturally. From one's veritable unconscious. When we over think, we can end spoiling what was meant to be vs. what we wish it to be and so spoil it that is the end result.

I believe each of us has a gift. Doing this gift, one achieves a sense of happiness as well as utter timelessness. Finding one's gift will allow the spirit the freedom to soar. This is what life this life is. Find your gift and thus you find yourself. Doing your gift benefitting the world upon which we live on called earth. Reaching a heightened state of consciousness called flow.

For each of us are interrelated with every other life form. Combining our gifts can also produce the added benefit of a byproduct called synergy or the synergism of which the sum is greater than the parts. This experience is as rapture, which is beyond heavenly words to describe. Only for one moment do we feel like we have experienced a little slice of heaven on earth. It is confounding as it is in effect beyond description.

I think each unique individual as a distinct path which may of course cross with other belief. Personally i think to find self, develop the gift you were born to do in the world and give back toward humanity love and reason, a balance between both.

I call this an aberration. If I am under the weather, or stressed or even depressed I can no longer so easily tap this well of the universal consciousness. I find it disconcerting. I happen to be quiet and go into a sort of shell and don't communicate. I wait once again I tap into an inner resonance. It is like what I would call a more rational, cognizant as well a compassionate way with what words I choose.

It has more of an essence of truth. If I cannot speak with inner truth I prefer to not speak so much. If one cannot speak truth they add to chaos. I avoid this. I seek to bridge all differences as well modes of communication. I seek in capturing nuances and thus help understanding, plus an extant peace. I am a diplomat. I deescalate arguments. I want truth in every one’s way of speaking. With if it is learned, less distortions and more easily truth.

My writing style has definitely been brought up. I write what I "Feel." If I don't or can't capture the essence in words I rearrange it so that it resonates in my being. It is as if (and this is not schizophrenic) I write a Morse type code on what the universe communicates unto me. I try to let go of ego, and let a universal mind speak through me. I try to write what I perceive truth in my being so that it resonates with spirit. I must confess.

I write. In an intellectual sense I can detect some grammatical anomaly and know it to be incorrect. I however will write on how I feel and this is totally regardless of known, correct way. I am striving for a truth. If I write what may be grammatically correct, it takes away the essence of the truth.

Too many times we may ignore the inner universe, searching for peace, as well happiness when these lay within us. If one are miserable inside, then all the money, & riches, all the members of the opposite sex (or whichever sex one is attracted to, fame, material possessions, food, and travel will not soothe the soul, most certainly not for long. It is a search for inner peace that is a mantra of an INF/ENF.

This inner universe is so crucial. This is why one needs to develop self-esteem and a healthy self-concept to truly know and acknowledge the beauty of the world. For an ISP/ESP, it may be different. This is why for greatest harmony to occur; both inner and outer realities need be balanced. Listen to this inner voice. I call it the universal consciousness. It is there. It can help one perceive and pursue activity where one can enter into a state of "Flow." This is to discover one's inner gift. What one was made to do and to become?

I shall share, it is a belief any sharing, feeling, deep thought, abstraction based sharing or a sharing of experiences helps to fortify a corps de spirit. It is profound. It is no mistaking it. I said endorphins were arising. It is how I feel at times when I write. It is as if tapping into a universal well filled brimming with wise sayings. They come unbidden to me. I am in flow, for I certainly feel creative. An ecstasy if you will. Yes, a deep true sharing feels deep richness. As such it adds spice to life.” LightSun

“I love it. To me the quotes are a key to our own inner wisdom. They are the spark so to speak. Words are so hard to come by that adequately express a profound truth.

When a person gets in a state of flow and is connected, it is like magic, to this divine spark, universal consciousness what has you.

Then the words flow like a magical and mystical stream from the unconscious depths of our soul on to the surface, to capture a profound truth that can help inspire future generations.” LightSun

“I however quite frankly am attuned with this inner essence. My speech thus is also poetic. And does have a flow. I am "NF". I can speak scientific when I converse with my "NT" cousin and brethren. But no, I have been told I have the gift of an oratory manner. In this manner what I say resonates with who I speak to. I resonate with whom I converse so the conversation is alive with all such things called Power Words.” LightSun

Mole

Permabanned
When everyone and their dog is going to a creative writing class, we know creativity is over.

And when we are passionate about creativity, we know creativity is dead, for only the worst are full of passionate intensity.

So we haven't come here to praise creativity, but to bury it.

KDude

You guys think too much. Life is simple. Have a laugh.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBluUZ4NnZg]/[/youtube]

Munchies

MBTI Type
XNXP
Enneagram
OMG
Instinctual Variant
sx
creativity is complete disreguard for how things are done in the past, just because of "tradition". The only real traditions taht matter are family traditions, everything else is collective manipulation. so forget about tradition and the little" throw out baby with bath water analogy; the only thing where that would apply is in art. Creativity is the dissonance fromhow things currently work. Striving for something better, by seeing out problems and thus solutions.Creativity is never being trully content with a personal peice of work, since it can be innovated until infinity.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
When everyone and their dog is going to a creative writing class, we know creativity is over.

And when we are passionate about creativity, we know creativity is dead, for only the worst are full of passionate intensity.

So we haven't come here to praise creativity, but to bury it.

WHAT ABOUT THE NOOSPHERE?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The progressive development of man is vitally dependent on invention.

Mole

Permabanned
WHAT ABOUT THE NOOSPHERE?

In the noosphere there is no individual genius because there are no individuals, rather we are all part of electronic tribes. The best we can hope for is the wisdom of the crowd on one hand or the clash of civilizations on the other.

Mole

Permabanned
The progressive development of man is vitally dependent on invention.

Yes, progress and technique have gone hand in hand. And yes, mbti is a good example of technique applied to the psyche to make social progress.

But technique is part of the industrial age which is now giving way to the electronic age.

And more and more the age of technique will seem shallow and alienated from our deeper selves.

The deep self is irrupting into the world, sometimes as a violent religion, and sometimes as peace and plenty, as in the Anglosphere.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
In the noosphere there is no individual genius because there are no individuals, rather we are all part of electronic tribes. The best we can hope for is the wisdom of the crowd on one hand or the clash of civilizations on the other.

Doesn't creativity require genius? Collective genius?