User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Soul is what makes everything alive. Be it plant or animal.
    Yes. Yes, I believe this. I think that God animates all things and is in all things but I'm not a pantheist at the same time.

The greatest depiction in literature I've read of the idea was in Philip K. Dick's The Divine Invasion in which God is depicted as remembering the universe and should he forget for a moment all that exists ceases to be but when he remembers again it is restored and none of those things in existence are aware of what has happened, that book succeeds in describing good and evil and the incarnation of prophets and Jesus aswell as any other source that I've read and it does so, interestingly, by drawing analogies with the splitting of a human psyche.

I also like the tales of the afterlife in which the recently deceased are met by either the spirit of deceased pets or in which God appears to them in the familiar shape of animals they have loved during their lives. I have read good books and I have one on order which is a sci fi book about how even should an afterlife exist that death and dying could be such a traumatic experience as to render whatever consciousness remains traumatised or mad. The idea that God or some of the heavenly host could manifest in that way to try to save a spirit from that has some appeal.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

@Lark: just out of curiousity, what do you think of Tipler's Omega point if you've seen it?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

They have souls, but not spirits.

One person I read years ago, divided the two according to the emotions associated with them:
    Our 12 basic emotions are the "humane" emotions, (love/hate, desire/aversion, joy/sadness), which are ennobled by our or "intellect" ("intuitive", or "contemplative" mind); thus making up our "heart"; and also our "utilitarian" emotions (hope/despair, courage/fear, peace*/anger), which aid our "reason" ("working" or "discursive" mind) thus making up our "mind".

Upwardly,"the humane emotions are intimately linked with our spirit, and the utilitarian emotions with our reason" [i.e. soul]. Downward, both groups are linked with our body. The humane emotions are from our "pleasure appetite" and cause inner movement within the psyche. They are our responses to what we perceive as "good" or "bad". Our intuitive mind also receives its knowledge from such sources as nature, the arts, and faith. The utilitarian emotions of our "utility appetite" move us to action to make life better or respond to threats to our happiness or well being. Thus, they are concerned with mundane things; what is useful or harmful. It's the humane emotions that distinguish us from animals (hence, "humane"). While they certainly share the utilitarian emotions (anger, courage, etc) with us, the other set of emotions are not "ennobled" in them, being that they have instinct to guide them. Since we have those emotions, our instincts are undeveloped or "sophisticated" (its character altered).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    @Lark: just out of curiousity, what do you think of Tipler's Omega point if you've seen it?
    Never heard of it, what is it?

Junior Member Horrible Aesthete's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Animals don't have souls. Humans don't have souls. There is no heaven and no hell. I do not keep pets, but I am a vegan, so I do afford animals other than the human variety the same measure of respect.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    They have souls, but not spirits.

One person I read years ago, divided the two according to the emotions associated with them:
    Our 12 basic emotions are the "humane" emotions, (love/hate, desire/aversion, joy/sadness), which are ennobled by our or "intellect" ("intuitive", or "contemplative" mind); thus making up our "heart"; and also our "utilitarian" emotions (hope/despair, courage/fear, peace*/anger), which aid our "reason" ("working" or "discursive" mind) thus making up our "mind".

Upwardly,"the humane emotions are intimately linked with our spirit, and the utilitarian emotions with our reason" [i.e. soul]. Downward, both groups are linked with our body. The humane emotions are from our "pleasure appetite" and cause inner movement within the psyche. They are our responses to what we perceive as "good" or "bad". Our intuitive mind also receives its knowledge from such sources as nature, the arts, and faith. The utilitarian emotions of our "utility appetite" move us to action to make life better or respond to threats to our happiness or well being. Thus, they are concerned with mundane things; what is useful or harmful. It's the humane emotions that distinguish us from animals (hence, "humane"). While they certainly share the utilitarian emotions (anger, courage, etc) with us, the other set of emotions are not "ennobled" in them, being that they have instinct to guide them. Since we have those emotions, our instincts are undeveloped or "sophisticated" (its character altered).
    lol
    1+1=3 OMFG

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Tip: the question only makes sense for those that believe in the concept of soul.
    I disagree.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    I disagree.
    Your religion must be a very interesting one.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Your religion must be a very interesting one.
    You are a master of understatement.