User Tag List

123 Last

Permabanned

Default Would you bet your life that the sun will rise tomorrow?

If so, how are you so confident that it will?

If not, do you not consider yourself certain that the sun will rise?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

This thread makes no sense. If I bet my life that the sun would rise tomorrow, and it didn't, I would be dead anyway.

Permabanned

So basically, you wouldn't.

But assume, I guess, that the sun isn't necessary for life..for the purposes of the thread.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yes, the sun is necessary for life.

Permabanned

No, you didn't answer the question.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    This thread makes no sense. If I bet my life that the sun would rise tomorrow, and it didn't, I would be dead anyway.
    exactly. it's like asking if you'd bet your life that you won't get murdered tomorrow.

Permabanned

the difference being one event necessitates the other (death=no life) and the other doesn't (sun may or may not equal life)...in this case assume it doesn't.

In broader terms, at what point does it become illogical to assume that event a will not happen, when it has always happened in the past? At what point does it become logical to assume event a will happen in the future based only on past evidence? Surely not just once, or even twice...what is that number of times that it becomes reasonable to assume that event a will happen, when b happens, simply because it has always done so in the past? 10? 100?

Same question, but in a different context...

Everyday since your birth the sun has risen (assume so, at least). The first sunrise couldn't have indicated to you that it will always rise...and neither could the second...but eventually you get the sense that it will always happen...so much so that I'd imagine many would be willing to "bet their life" (or whatever else is precious to them) on it. How many days would this take? When do you "know" beyond a doubt (enough you are willing to die for it) that the sun will rise tomorrow? Or do you never know?

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

It's not a yes or no just a probability that's the magic of statistics!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    Everyday since your birth the sun has risen (assume so, at least). The first sunrise couldn't have indicated to you that it will always rise...and neither could the second...but eventually you get the sense that it will always happen...so much so that I'd imagine many would be willing to "bet their life" (or whatever else is precious to them) on it. How many days would this take? When do you "know" beyond a doubt (enough you are willing to die for it) that the sun will rise tomorrow? Or do you never know?
    While the precedent for the sun risen is very strong, we also are aware of a standard process for the sun's lifespan; very few things imaginable would be able to derail the sun's behavior, and anything large enough would have already been detectable. You might as well ask if we'd bet our lives on still being able to breathe oxygen tomorrow. So to me, it's not a matter of belief except to the degree that I "believe that gravity will function tomorrow as it has been."

Of course maybe there is some mystical magical ocelot that will eat the sun tonight for kicks, and we'll all be dead. Whatever. Does this discussion have a point?

Maybe you'd do better using an example where people depend on precedents that are not matters of established "natural law," if you have a point to prove or ask about how long a pattern must persist before becoming credible in someone's mind.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

so lame
    1+1=3 OMFG