• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would you bet your life that the sun will rise tomorrow?

xisnotx

Permabanned
If so, how are you so confident that it will?

If not, do you not consider yourself certain that the sun will rise?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
This thread makes no sense. If I bet my life that the sun would rise tomorrow, and it didn't, I would be dead anyway. :dry:

xisnotx

Permabanned
So basically, you wouldn't.

But assume, I guess, that the sun isn't necessary for life..for the purposes of the thread.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, the sun is necessary for life.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This thread makes no sense. If I bet my life that the sun would rise tomorrow, and it didn't, I would be dead anyway. :dry:

exactly. it's like asking if you'd bet your life that you won't get murdered tomorrow.

xisnotx

Permabanned
the difference being one event necessitates the other (death=no life) and the other doesn't (sun may or may not equal life)...in this case assume it doesn't.

In broader terms, at what point does it become illogical to assume that event a will not happen, when it has always happened in the past? At what point does it become logical to assume event a will happen in the future based only on past evidence? Surely not just once, or even twice...what is that number of times that it becomes reasonable to assume that event a will happen, when b happens, simply because it has always done so in the past? 10? 100?

Same question, but in a different context...

Everyday since your birth the sun has risen (assume so, at least). The first sunrise couldn't have indicated to you that it will always rise...and neither could the second...but eventually you get the sense that it will always happen...so much so that I'd imagine many would be willing to "bet their life" (or whatever else is precious to them) on it. How many days would this take? When do you "know" beyond a doubt (enough you are willing to die for it) that the sun will rise tomorrow? Or do you never know?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's not a yes or no just a probability that's the magic of statistics!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Everyday since your birth the sun has risen (assume so, at least). The first sunrise couldn't have indicated to you that it will always rise...and neither could the second...but eventually you get the sense that it will always happen...so much so that I'd imagine many would be willing to "bet their life" (or whatever else is precious to them) on it. How many days would this take? When do you "know" beyond a doubt (enough you are willing to die for it) that the sun will rise tomorrow? Or do you never know?

While the precedent for the sun risen is very strong, we also are aware of a standard process for the sun's lifespan; very few things imaginable would be able to derail the sun's behavior, and anything large enough would have already been detectable. You might as well ask if we'd bet our lives on still being able to breathe oxygen tomorrow. So to me, it's not a matter of belief except to the degree that I "believe that gravity will function tomorrow as it has been."

Of course maybe there is some mystical magical ocelot that will eat the sun tonight for kicks, and we'll all be dead. Whatever. Does this discussion have a point?

Maybe you'd do better using an example where people depend on precedents that are not matters of established "natural law," if you have a point to prove or ask about how long a pattern must persist before becoming credible in someone's mind.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't go out of my way to bet my life on things for no return. I would bet somebody my life against $5 that the sun will rise tomorrow. Any less than that isn't worth a conversation.

S

Society

the chosen example is problematic but the discussion idea is good...
so, to make sense of it, let's take an identical solar system, and bet if the sun rises on earth2...

i would say no. i would bet money, since the risk is very low that the earth2 will stop spinning or that it's sun will implode at the very day i am making the bet, but i would not bet my life on it, mostly because there is profit or anything to gain.

if we lower the cost and increase the profit, for example, would i bet a leg on it but gain a billion euro if i win... i'd go for it.

Munchies

MBTI Type
XNXP
Enneagram
OMG
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'd rather talk about favourite chewing gum flavours

Munchies

MBTI Type
XNXP
Enneagram
OMG
Instinctual Variant
sx
Lately I keep buying Stride Spark Kinetic Fruit.

i'm not really a big fan of fruit/gum flavours. The other stride energy gum tastes the best though, and it get's you energized ( appearently, i am always energized anyways). If the only option was to chew fruit gum i would but I just don't understand it. If i wanted to eat a fruit i would eat fruit. But i can't knock it down without trying it, especially since the other spark gum was good, ill buy some today.

xisnotx

Permabanned
Ok, first of all...5 gum is the only one worth even talking about. Either blue or green. But, secondly, and way more importantly...
Maybe you'd do better using an example where people depend on precedents that are not matters of established "natural law," if you have a point to prove or ask about how long a pattern must persist before becoming credible in someone's mind.
Bolded. In number form. Once, surely not. Twice, maybe. Three times, yes?

also

Does this discussion have a point?
lol

Munchies

MBTI Type
XNXP
Enneagram
OMG
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ok, first of all...5 gum is the only one worth even talking about. Either blue or green. But, secondly, and way more importantly...

Bolded. In number form. Once, surely not. Twice, maybe. Three times, yes?

also

lol

5 gum is more cinematics than anything. their whole little multi perspective gum is just three intense flavours in one. It's lies. And The only reason the called it Five is because it sounds similar to Stride, they based it off Strides success.