123 Last

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Default Is there a universe or not?

I've noticed NTs and I tend to disagree a lot on interpretations of physics and I'm curious as to others perception of this. I think that science was heavily influenced by being generated in a monotheistic culture. Thus the holy grail of physics being the toe, the classical concept of "universe", even perhaps the idea of irreducible bits (which again are being integrated in the concepts of strings) all of which act as remnants of/are used to prop up monism. I find that many of these people also have trouble thinking in terms of non-linear time, of time as not having constant rate, of positionality as time in a static universe, etc. So what say you?

Note: I am also dubious of proof by negation which I've noticed is a hallmark of many tj types.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'm having trouble understanding what you are getting at here. Universe has always meant 'everything that exists'. So it doesn't parse when you ask if everything that exists exists.

I assume you are asking whether everything that exists has some sort of specific properties or attributes?

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

is there a universe? How can you define what you do not know. Universe is a funny idea, sure it follows with the "law of one", but how do we really know there is only one/uni universe?
    1+1=3 OMFG

FigerPuppet

Tell me, how does one think in non-linear time?

It's one thing to argue against certain concepts of the universe and laws in physics, but another to question whether the universe exists at all. Or what it has to do with monotheism. Are you questioning the existence of matter and space? That is the universe, more or less. Including you and I. Or are you saying that the universe is so infinitely big that it may as well not be a thing at all? If it was infinite, it would not be expanding, and starting from a smaller point.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    If it was infinite, it would not be expanding, and starting from a smaller point.
    ?

could you explain, because my idea is the exact opposite. Infinity being such an inconceivable concept i just wonder how you fully grasped it to make a comment like that.
    1+1=3 OMFG

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    If it was infinite, it would not be expanding, and starting from a smaller point.
    ?

could you explain, because my idea is the exact opposite. Infinity being such an inconceivable concept i just wonder how you fully grasped it to make a comment like that.
    1+1=3 OMFG

Quote Originally Posted by Munchies View Post
    ?

I don't claim to grasp infinity, but growth and expansion don't seem like qualities associated with "infinite". Wouldn't the infinite just "be"?

I might say that there's something beyond our universe (a mega universe or multiverse) that could be infinite, and that our universe is expanding within it. Whether it contracts into a smaller form (the "Big Crunch") or keeps expanding and gets colder and stagnant, I don't know. Either way, it undergoes change.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti

There is no universe. It's all made up. Trust me, I'm a scientist*

*computer scientist
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

well... if the universe is everything that exists, has existed and will exist then I suppose that it would have to exist since this thought is existing... even if there wasn't anything then nothing would exist... which would bring up the question of "does nothing count as something?"

and questions are something
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett