• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is there a universe or not?

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Q: Is there a universe or not?

A: No, we are but a thought in a post in a thread in a forum.

Lark

I've noticed NTs and I tend to disagree a lot on interpretations of physics and I'm curious as to others perception of this. I think that science was heavily influenced by being generated in a monotheistic culture. Thus the holy grail of physics being the toe, the classical concept of "universe", even perhaps the idea of irreducible bits (which again are being integrated in the concepts of strings) all of which act as remnants of/are used to prop up monism. I find that many of these people also have trouble thinking in terms of non-linear time, of time as not having constant rate, of positionality as time in a static universe, etc. So what say you?

Note: I am also dubious of proof by negation which I've noticed is a hallmark of many tj types.

What?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Toe = the theory of everything which would unify all the fundamental forces of nature under guage theory should we find higgs or observing something in m-theory observationally like a superstring to "prove" extra -dimensionality required by string theory.

P.S. I didn't mean for this thread to be so technical :( I just wanted to hear how people experience "the univetse" in their everyday lives. To me I experience a lot of phenomena that seem impossible under most standard physics. I think it is because I am aware of alternative conceptualizations so I actively go about trying to experience them in everyday life. This leads to that tension between observer and observed in which they mutually create one another (imo)

I use a lot of physics language because I don't know of any other that has the same concepts (except maybe sufi mysticism, but it is more abstract and less precise)

KDude

Just to clarify further: Toe, as in "toe of God". Contrast it with mystics seeking the beatific vision, the face of God. Physicists are a little less ambitious.

Within

Permabanned
I'm going to stick with my original thought that I had 10 years ago. That our universe is indeed just the smallest part of that which atoms consist of, waiting to be split in a nuclear bomb detonation thereby bringing an instant end to ours, and our reflective realities. If that's the case the balance of terror was somewhat of an understatement.

FireShield98

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
Did you even read the books?

Nope. Actually, I first heard of it from a game on addictinggames.com my younger brother likes to play called "The Impossible Quiz" where question 42 is "What is the answer to life, the universe, and everything?" (and you have to click the 42nd 42 on the page). Only later did I learn that it was from a book (when my biology teacher last year would answer "42" whenever someone asked him a question he didn't have the answer to. One day someone asked him why he says that, and then he explained it). Well, since this is a question about the universe, I decided to answer it with 42.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sensors like me don't care what is real and what isn't real, including the universe! We see it, it works, and we are alive, so whatever you over-intelligent investigators. What you see is what you get!

Mole

Permabanned
Sensors like me don't care what is real and what isn't real, including the universe! We see it, it works, and we are alive, so whatever you over-intelligent investigators. What you see is what you get!

Yes, we can see that the Sun goes round the Earth; and we can see that solid objects are not made mostly of empty space; and it's plain we can see more than 5% of the universe.