User Tag List

123 Last

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Default Originality is dead.

Just as the title implies: Do you think originality is dead?

Every time I try to look at something in a new way or I gain a new insight into something, I realise that there is someone who got there first and then I realise that the chances are I had already picked up this information sub-consciously from said person and deluded myself into believing it was my own.

Human beings influence each other all the time; social osmosis is very real and one of the biggest influences in someones life.

Ive noticed a lot of recycled genre's and themes in the world of entertainment and fashion. New breakthroughs seem new, especially in science or medicine, but are usually just building upon what is already there. Although this isn't necessarily bad, (the refining of an idea to greater success or benefit for others is never a bad thing), it does make you think about what might happen once the idea's stop coming....

ps: I also know the irony in making a rather un-original topic on the nature of originality. And yes I think it is silly too.

MBTI
    INTP

There is no such thing as originality

There never was

Prove me wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    There is no such thing as originality

There never was

Prove me wrong
    The wheel?

Fire at least existed before man.

But I suppose ultimately there isnt is there? Thinking about it if we evolved into our environments then the components for the wheel were already there, thus it was never truely new.

What about thoughts and ideas though? Unless we are being sneaky here and claiming that certain animals might have conscious senses of selves in the same way humans do and we have just been unable to communicate with them to understand this.

I suppose even our brains were not invented and made by us if someone wanted to make that argument.

Should I perhaps rephrase the question to be more specific? As in: Is originality dead within the context of the human race and all it's notions of innovations and ideas from it's first steps?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    The wheel?

Fire at least existed before man.
    There is absolutely nothing original about the wheel

Objects turning upon an axis have existed long before humans were inspired by them

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    There is absolutely nothing original about the wheel

Objects turning upon an axis have existed long before humans were inspired by them
    Yeah sorry, I have a habit of editing the rest of my post repeatedly after I have posted it, always new ideas coming up, check it out.

That question was pretty much a faecitious one.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.
    ^^^
    That was written a few thousand years ago. At the very least, the lamenting of the death of originality is not original.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    ^^^
    That was written a few thousand years ago. At the very least, the lamenting of the death of originality is not original.
    ps: I also know the irony in making a rather un-original topic on the nature of originality. And yes I think it is silly too.
    Indeed!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post

Indeed!
    Oh, I don't think it's silly. I often feel immobilized by the feling that I'm just redoing what has probably been done a million times before. It prompts me to change my attitude on how I approach life.

Sniffles

What is originality? Is it the constant search for novelty, or the reconnection with one's origins?

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Oh, I don't think it's silly. I often feel immobilized by the feling that I'm just redoing what has probably been done a million times before. It prompts me to change my attitude on how I approach life.
    I meant silly as in the irony. Like you I change my perceptions all the time.

In fact I have so many different ones that ive started eating one skittle for every 'new' one I have.