User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Default How it is to be an atheist?

Personally, I think it's pretty incovenient.
    To name a few issues:

-A lot of people think you're less trustworthy.
    -A lot of theists assume you believe in God (''dood, just trust in God and everything will be fine'').
    - Some people seem to think that being an atheist is like being a satanist. Atheist->
    - Theists seem to demand words of comfort involving the word ''God'' when they lose someone dear to them.

Question to atheists:

1-How it is to be an atheist? Have you ever gotten in a less favorable situation because of it?

2-Are you open about about it? Do your family and co-workers know it?
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

1 - How it is to be an atheist?
    Normal. The religious are the strange ones.

2 - Have you ever gotten in a less favorable situation because of it?
    Not that I am aware of.

3 - Are you open about about it?
    Yes.

4 - Do your family and co-workers know it?
    Yes, unless they are really slow on the uptake.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTp

I don't believe it works like this in France at all. People here aren't very interested in religion, I remember seeing that our population is about 1/3 religious, 1/3 atheist, 1/3 agnostic. I almost never mention being an atheist (nor does anyone ask me or care about it). It's the same for most of western Europe, I think.
    I know America is more religious than we are, but is it that much? Or is Brazil an even different case?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

It has no practical relevence for my everyday life.

What? Hell, no.

Sure, why shouldn't I?

My immediate family knows and they are all atheists or agnostics too. But religion almost never comes up as a topic of conversation with the wider family or at work, so who knows...why should it matter to anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Nales View Post
    I don't believe it works like this in France at all. People here aren't very interested in religion, I remember seeing that our population is about 1/3 religious, 1/3 atheist, 1/3 agnostic. I almost never mention being an atheist (nor does anyone ask me or care about it). It's the same for most of western Europe, I think.
    I know America is more religious than we are, but is it that much? Or is Brazil an even different case?
    This.

My social circle includes both atheists and believers, sometimes we have friendly debates. But none of the believers are so religious that it would matter to them that I am an atheist. Actually, they only people I know to whom religion is that important are all non-Europeans.
    I met a nice American gentleman on my trip to Mexico. He suddenly asked me if I was a Christian. I said no. He said, what a shame, because I have found Christ and you seem such a nice young lady. Then he asked me some friendly but very naive questions about atheism that showed that he had probably never met an atheist before in his life. Towards the end of the conversation he seemed relieved that I was a kind person, did have values (I am a humanist atheist.) and probably wouldn't burn in hell. He was very kind and open and interested, but I had to keep myself from grinning at lot of the time.

I have never met somebody who seemed to think less of me for being an atheist once they meet me in person. But where I live religion is a private matter seldom talked about and a large share of the population is atheist or agnostic anyway.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

It's similar here in Britian, though I don't have any figures. Being an atheist draws almost no response.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm not an atheist, but the US polling shows a strong detriment to being an atheist in the political arena:
    http://www.opposingviews.com/i/relig...sident-atheist

In his contribution, polling expert Andrew Kohut cites a 2007 Pew survey showing that atheism is viewed more negatively by voters than virtually any other possible trait of a presidential candidate. A whopping 63% of respondents said they would be “less likely” to vote for a presidential candidate who “doesn’t believe in God” (3% said they would be more likely). This easily exceeds the percentages who say they would be less likely to vote for a candidate who never held elected office (56), a Muslim (46), a homosexual (46), a person who had “used drugs in the past” (45), or a Mormon (30). Opposition to female, black and Hispanic candidates is several times lower (ranging from 4 to 14 percent, though some racists and sexists probably hid their true attitudes from the pollster). A more recent 2011 version of the same survey gets very similar results when it comes to atheists (61%), though there is less hostility towards gays (33%).
    Here's another similar list that shows atheists at the bottom of the barrel:
    http://atheism.about.com/od/atheistb...istSurveys.htm

Can you believe it? It's rather the kiss of death. Atheists were targeted during the Red Scare of the 50's too, along with homosexuals and artists and communists (who were often simultaneously referred to as atheists as part of labeling them an enemy of the state).

Mitt Romney will suffer some damage in the upcoming elections due to being a Mormon, which many protestant Christians seem to label as a cult, but he's still better off not being an atheist. obama has also take a decent amount of politic damage during his tenure from the conservatives, who keep insinuating he's not "really a Christian." Belief in a monotheistic god of SOME sort seems to be the standard in the US, whether one is a Christian or a Deist or whatever...

America’s first colonists were a religious lot. Three-and-a-half centuries later, not much has changed: more than 9 in 10 Americans still say they believe in God, according to a new Gallup poll.

American enthusiasm for the divine has hardly waned since the 1940s, when a whopping 96% confirmed their belief in a monotheistic deity. Still, God’s poll numbers have dipped slightly over the past half-century to 92%, with support among certain subgroups slipping below 90%.

Unsurprisingly, belief in God is lowest among young Americans, liberals, independents, residents of the East Coast and those with postgraduate educations. Also unsurprising: God is still polling well in the Bible Belt and has “nearly universal” support among Republicans and conservatives, according to Gallup.
    http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/06/07/...elieve-in-god/

When I stopped going to church (without anyone even knowing why), my family and community immediately assumed something was wrong with me, and my moral stature in their eyes seemed to immediately drop.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned

Pretty goddamn good.

Not on my part.

Fiercely.

My family is pretty familiar with my preferences.
    I tend to keep my personal opinions just that, personal. I find no reason to bring up a philosophical debate around the water cooler.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I know America is more religious than we are, but is it that much?
    Yes. Jennifer covered this pretty well. Based on some answers here, I'm starting to think Europe could be an exception, which is pretty interesting.
    Or is Brazil an even different case?
    It is more or less like US in this aspect, I think. Perhaps a bit worse, because of the bigger lack of education in this aspect. A lot of schools have a subject called ''religious education'', which is basically 100% Christian bible stuff. People aren't raised to question. Even our Constitution starts with a God reference. Something like ''We, representatives of the Brazilian people, gathered under the protection of God[...]''. But it is a pretty scattered thing...I believe most theists here don't go to a church.
    -----------------

A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Agnostic >atheist/thiest

Disbeleif and beleif are the exact same entity just polar opposites. you don't have to place yourself on any side of the spectrum folks You can just find content in knowing you don't know. And maybe explore within yourself rather then judge other doctrins. Look within yourself for truth and you might find truth everywhere you look. But if you do not look within yourself you will find disbeleif and beleif everywhere you look. The world is not black and white
    1+1=3 OMFG

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Munchies View Post
    Agnostic >atheist/thiest

Disbeleif and beleif are the exact same entity just polar opposites. you don't have to place yourself on any side of the spectrum folks You can just find content in knowing you don't know. And maybe explore within yourself rather then judge other doctrins. Look within yourself for truth and you might find truth everywhere you look. But if you do not look within yourself you will find disbeleif and beleif everywhere you look. The world is not black and white
    I will give you that, you make a good XXXX.
    -----------------

-----------------