• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How it is to be an atheist?

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have a question for the atheists here:

If a religious family member/friend/loved one/etc. comforting you in times of distress made any mention of praying for you or whatnot, would you be okay with that?

I only ask because I would want the people closest to me to understand that if I say such things, regardless of whether or not they believe in the existence of God, that it's simply my way of expressing my love for them and that they truly are in my thoughts and prayers.

Why would I not be okay with it? It's not like they're going to kill infants in the process (unless they're in some creepy cult of course).

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

If a religious family member/friend/loved one/etc. comforting you in times of distress made any mention of praying for you or whatnot, would you be okay with that?

I only ask because I would want the people closest to me to understand that if I say such things, regardless of whether or not they believe in the existence of God, that it's simply my way of expressing my love for them and that they truly are in my thoughts and prayers.
Generally speaking, good vibrations should be appreciated, so I'm ok with that.

Just don't expect reciprocity. :D

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)

I'd just like to add on to what Comaback Girl said. Sure, I wouldn't have a problem with it, it's a nice gesture. That is, unless they were asking me to pray. If someone said, "Oh man, that sucks. You really need to pray about that to make everything better," I'd be a bit irritated.

I bring this up because recently my dad has gone through some things and has gotten wildly into religion. It seems like every five minutes he tells me how much he prays and goes to church and that I should always be praying and thinking about God. It gets very irritating.

I suppose you could think of it this way. Suppose you just hate cheese. It's not your thing. But then your friend won't stop going on and on about how you should just eat this cheese with him because it tastes so good.

If he knew I was an atheist, I'm not sure how he'd react. I'm very open about my atheism if someone were to ask me (no one does anyway) with the exception of my parents.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Atheists tend to mock religious people in my home country for lack of rationality. For that matter, most religious people are religious out of habit/tradition first and foremost - we are still known as a catholic country, due to this. Being religious isn't something you want to necessarily spread around as it easily gets you looked down on as silly and naive and taken less seriously. Being agnostic is definitely more favourable, though you re better off steering clear of religion completely and acknowledge it more in its historical role.

Oddly, catholic school is highly favoured as they have a reputation of being extremely high in standard and thorough, so most children still gets introduced to it at some point. More and more people are no longer baptising their kids though, compared to my generation and the communion is being replaced by 'spring festivals' as a coming of age ritual.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd just like to add on to what Comaback Girl said. Sure, I wouldn't have a problem with it, it's a nice gesture. That is, unless they were asking me to pray. If someone said, "Oh man, that sucks. You really need to pray about that to make everything better," I'd be a bit irritated.

I bring this up because recently my dad has gone through some things and has gotten wildly into religion. It seems like every five minutes he tells me how much he prays and goes to church and that I should always be praying and thinking about God. It gets very irritating.

I suppose you could think of it this way. Suppose you just hate cheese. It's not your thing. But then your friend won't stop going on and on about how you should just eat this cheese with him because it tastes so good.

If he knew I was an atheist, I'm not sure how he'd react. I'm very open about my atheism if someone were to ask me (no one does anyway) with the exception of my parents.

Ah, I see. Thanks for sharing this! :)

You've got nothing to worry about with me and any talk of religion, either. I may be spiritually inclined, but my mom did after all raise me to be loving and respectful towards others, regardless of their background.

Plus, a number of my friends are atheists. :D

Alea_iacta_est

1 - How it is to be an atheist?
It feels freeing a little, but since I live in the South I have to be wary of it.

2 - Have you ever gotten in a less favorable situation because of it?
Only when I first told someone I was an atheist (which was like 6th grade or before that even), that caused a big schism between me and my friends at the time that lasted a few months. Hilariously, after those 3 months (or so), my friends came back to me and told me I was right.

3 - Are you open about about it?
I'm open about it in the sense that if someone asks me, I will tell them directly. Otherwise, it doesn't matter.

4 - Do your family and co-workers know it? Yes.