First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm not an atheist, but the US polling shows a strong detriment to being an atheist in the political arena:
    http://www.opposingviews.com/i/relig...sident-atheist
    A whopping 63% of respondents said they would be “less likely” to vote for a presidential candidate who “doesn’t believe in God” (3% said they would be more likely). This easily exceeds the percentages who say they would be less likely to vote for a candidate who never held elected office (56), a Muslim (46), a homosexual (46), a person who had “used drugs in the past” (45), or a Mormon (30). Opposition to female, black and Hispanic candidates is several times lower (ranging from 4 to 14 percent, though some racists and sexists probably hid their true attitudes from the pollster). A more recent 2011 version of the same survey gets very similar results when it comes to atheists (61%), though there is less hostility towards gays (33%).
    See, this is what I cannot understand. - It doesn't seem to matter what you think is right, only where your convictions are coming from.

Apart from that, this poll has its own little curious points. - Not only does atheism seem to undermine your moral authority, but also being a Muslim, or being homosexual, being a woman or black too, to lesser degree. All of these seem to be 'defects' for the common electorate that a potential canditate would have to compensate for.

As to the OP:

1 - How it is to be an atheist?
    It's a non-issue. I'm an atheist, but I don't define myself by it.

2 - Have you ever gotten in a less favorable situation because of it?
    No, never.

3 - Are you open about about it?
    Sure. If someone asks me about it, I'll give them an honest answer.

4 - Do your family and co-workers know it?
    My family is familiar and fine with my world view. As to co-workers, this is something I would not discuss there, simply because I don't see why it would be relevant.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I will give you that, you make a good XXXX.
    i am what i am. And no i am not sam
    1+1=3 OMFG

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    See, this is what I cannot understand. - It doesn't seem to matter what you think is right, only where your convictions are coming from.
    That's exactly what I have experienced. It doesn't matter whether you are a 'good' person morally, it only matters that you believe in God and believe certain things about God. Those kind of values are specifically inscribed in the type of predominant Christianity. (It's not enough to be a "good" person, you have to believe in Jesus/God. Apart from God, you are nothing.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Question to atheists:

1-How it is to be an atheist? Have you ever gotten in a less favorable situation because of it?
    Socially it is less favorable. It gave me an entirely different perspective on Christianity because I spent years on the inside where I focused on Jesus and being super nice, and then being alone in nature to reflect on "God" and the incomprehensible. When my mind gradually dismantled the belief system I was raised with, I did not share my thinking explicitly with life-long friends and family, but they inferred I had changed because I quit going to church and didn't speak about god in the way an insider does. Once that realization came, they assumed the worst about me and distrusted me. Things were said to me that had no basis in reality, but in what they were taught to assume a "non-believer" was on the path to becoming. The two frames provided are that you are really angry at god and need to realize it's the devils fault, or your fault, etc. The second frame is that you are lost in the cares or pleasures of the world and just haven't thought it through carefully enough. The assumption that you are arrogant and mean coexist with both frames. I do not fall into either category, and the process of rejecting an entire framework of reality was quite painful - enough so that I don't force it on others because I don't think everyone can handle the psychological strain of it. I think friends and family are still afraid my life is going to go downhill without god to keep me on the "straight and narrow". They also don't understand the full implications of reason and how that can have important and positive results.

2-Are you open about about it? Do your family and co-workers know it?
    I am only open about it with my husband and on this site. I wouldn't dare proclaim it or I would lose tons of business. Because of my demeanor most people assume I am religious and most of my students and co-workers are. I am a closet atheist and even tell family and friends I'll pray for them when they face difficult times because I do care about comforting them. Ultimately my position is that my internal understanding of reality exists within my personal, private boundaries and I refuse to get into conversations where I have to justify my thinking to family and friends. What has been most shocking is that the people whom I *know* to be really kind, empathetic, and compassionate, take on a completely different personae when the topic of "God" comes up when they speak to you as an outsider. It bothers me because I know that is what happens to people who have their wills subjugated - they have a separate personality for the mindset of that subjugation. I could probably write a book about this issue, and it is a deeply problematic topic. If religious people could really just copy Jesus I think that would be great. The world would have a bunch of mellow, pleasant, accepting people instead of the Right Wing hyper-judgmental control-freak mentality. I'm all for people being like Jesus and would encourage it because I suspect "he" would be just as accepting of atheists as anyone else.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

How it is to be an atheist?

I prefer it this way rather than people thinking that im mentally ill

Have you ever gotten in a less favorable situation because of it?

Nope. Or well how you take it, i have had to visit church few times and it would had been more pleasant thing if i were an theist. Luckily where i live, its at least as acceptable to be an atheist, if not more acceptable.

Are you open about about it?

Yes

Do your family and co-workers know it?

Yes
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti

It feels strange, because I hear all these people talk about what god wants us to do, and if not for god they wouldn't be able to do this, and some other bullshit someone made up. God isn't real. He can't tell us to do things. What are these people hearing? Do they really believe that god cured them, or are they just trying to fit in with everyone else?

We were all born atheists, but somehow we get convinced that there's some invisible man in the sky that is constantly judging us. Some of these people then go on to hold public office and impose their invisible sky-god judgement on the rest of us and the rest of the world. The same people who dismiss evolution as "just a theory" embrace jesus based on a couple of stories, and the rest of the world has to deal with it.

{The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

I think it's inaccurate to say the majority of Americans believe in a monotheistic deity. I think it would be more accurate to simply say that they don't not believe in a god; it's the way they were raised, what they're familiar with, and they've never really thought about it. (And, in most cases, have not developed their rational faculties enough to be equipped to think about it meaningfully at any rate.) It's just a part of the "furniture" of the home of their life; asking them, "Do you believe in a god?" is like asking someone if he "believes in" his curtains or end table.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNDvrLLVibg"]Thank you god[/YOUTUBE]
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The way god is defined changes things. I am an either an atheist or an agnostic depending on how you do that.

I suppose I don't feel particularly bad about it. Certainly not enough to ever wish I were different. It is sometimes socially and intellectually frustrating.

I haven't, to my knowledge, been in any seriously disadvantageous position due to my beliefs. At worst I get into situations that are awkward and I get can be irritated by people or feel somewhat socially alienated. I have not felt threatened or deprived for it. I swear, even the fact that I don't drink alcohol has gotten me more shit than being secular. So, it doesn't pose a significant obstacle.

I have no veil on my beliefs. Anyone who is curious will know that I am not religious. I do not feel a compulsion to tell everyone else first, however.

I think I relate most to Haven's issue. The worst feeling I get in being secular is that kind of anxious discomfort that comes from being befuddled by the behavior of everyone around you. I just don't get why somebody would believe, and yet this is often a pervasive theme of their lives. It makes my brain hurt.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

How it is to be an atheist?
    Not really much of an issue. One of those after thought type things that come up in conversation every now and then. Vast majority of my time and energy are spent on things not at all pertaining to religion.

Still, when something does come into my life that forces the issues, then it's just one of those things I try to keep quiet unless I'm around like minded company.

Have you ever gotten in a less favorable situation because of it?
    I keep my atheism pretty quiet so it hasn't hurt me yet. I am surrounded often by people who feel very strongly about their religious faith and "them atheist people" are just one of the many groups that are responsible for the moral/economic/whatever ills that plague this country.

It's actually quietly amusing to me when these people bash atheists and then in the same breath will tell me what sort of a well mannered, polite, descent guy.

Makes me wonder how many silent atheists these people commend and compliment in there day to day lives

Are you open about about it?
    No. The only people who know about it are my closet friends, my immediate family, and some fellow aquetances of mine who are also atheists. It simply wouldn't do me any good to advertise the fact. Here in the Deep South, if you're not a God Fearing Person (tm) then you're some sort of moral degenerate.

Do your family and co-workers know it?
    My immediate family does (as in, my parents and brothers). I work with my father and a friend of the family, who also knows.

My mother thinks I'm in denial, my father tells me often how sorry he feels for me, my older brother and one of my younger brothers have informed me that they disagree with me but otherwise could care less (In fact, one of my younger brothers has been veering more toward the agnostic persuasion as his attitude toward religion has soured with his time in the Army and his tours of duty in Iraq).

My other younger has since softened on his opinion of my atheism but when I first came out he threatened me with physical violence if I ever "bad mouthed Jesus".

Over all, my life as an atheist is a relatively quiet one but then that's because I keep it to myself. If I were more open about it, I imagine it would get really complicated and frankly I prefer my life to be relatively quiet and simple.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson