User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 38

  1. #11
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I cant understand why people still hate one Roman Catholicism, its been a long time since Luther freed up people to hate but the baton seems to have been safely passed on from believers to non-believers.

    I dont know how anyone could suggest that the Roman Catholic church lost the battle to protestantism, the RCC stands today as a closer approximation to what it always was than any of the reformed churches do to their original founders or creeds, if any of the reformed churches did exist unchanged I suspect that many of their modern supporters would flock to the RCC as the less bigoted alternative.

    Likewise I dont understand the sort of mindset which condemns religion and specifically the RCC and wishes to see its demise, perhaps when I was younger I was more secularist than I am today and I'm sure that locking horns with a lot of haters has probably consolidated my faith and support for the RCC in a manner which may not have otherwise taken place. Although the relentless attacks upon an institution which isnt really fighting back and instead constantly adopts positions of conciliation and moderation with quietism are really and truly unimpressive. I cant be convinced of the good or value of that sort of behaviour. It does not spring from anything other than hatred and the target is objectively less important than satisfying that drive.

    Its a little like saying my parents who have loved and cared for me and sacrificed much that I could even be here are going to die some day, is it a good or bad thing? And the whole tone and pace of the preceeding remarks suggesting that its believed to be a very good thing.

    I would ask, what do you see as changed beyond all recognition? And why would you consider it unrecognisable? If you consider demographic shifts, scientific research and child abuse combining to cause the decline and disappearence of the RCC what do you think those things could do to other institutions? Whatever happens to the RCC will next happen to those institutions, which have nothing like the pedigree or history of the RCC, each of those things existed before and exist independently of the RCC with great social consequences.

    Although perhaps atheist publishing, celebrity culture and homosexuality will fill the void, as it seems to have done for many who hate Roman Catholicism already.

    You know, I understand your beliefs have a place around here, but isn't that a bit much for this thread in particular? The OP just seemed like a person who analyzes trends. In this case, the RCC. I didn't see anything particularly hateful about it.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    You know, I understand your beliefs have a place around here, but isn't that a bit much for this thread in particular? The OP just seemed like a person who analyzes trends. In this case, the RCC. I didn't see anything particularly hateful about it.
    What are you saying? I'm only highlighting the cultural trends being fomented of which much of the hope about the disappearence of traditions such as the RCC is about.

    Really if you met any individual who was so intent on the complete erasing of their personal past and memory it would surely present concerns for their welfare or mental health, yet upscale that to the social and it seems to make perfect sense to many.

  3. #13
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What are you saying? I'm only highlighting the cultural trends being fomented of which much of the hope about the disappearence of traditions such as the RCC is about.

    Really if you met any individual who was so intent on the complete erasing of their personal past and memory it would surely present concerns for their welfare or mental health, yet upscale that to the social and it seems to make perfect sense to many.
    I'm just saying that he seemed to be more detached, rather than attacking. Looks like a "Pi" tangent, if you will. You made it more of a Fi issue. The analysis alone touched a raw nerve. Why not just present an opposing trend? You seemed to be doing that at first.

  4. #14
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    In any case, I happen to appreciate a lot about the RCC. For example, the oldschool Protestant mentality is "sola scriptura". Many evangelicals think this way to this day. If something in archaelogy or science contradicts scripture, then it must be put down. I've found that Catholic materials are far more open. Sometimes they create paradox by leaving room for both academia and tradition, but that's better than being closeminded. Even the standard (American) Catholic bible (umm.. the NAB, I think) is full of critical commentary. They don't try to hide it or rationalize around it.

    Now I guess my point is that this is just one thing I wouldn't want to go away. If religion is going to stick around, it's nice that there are open minded people involved.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I'm just saying that he seemed to be more detached, rather than attacking. Looks like a "Pi" tangent, if you will. You made it more of a Fi issue. The analysis alone touched a raw nerve. Why not just present an opposing trend? You seemed to be doing that at first.
    Rationalising my posts to fit a projected frame and reinforce your prejudices isnt going to serve much of a purpose really now is it?

    Physician heal thyself.

  6. #16
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Rationalising my posts to fit a projected frame and reinforce your prejudices isnt going to serve much of a purpose really now is it?

    Physician heal thyself.
    Yeah, you don't know anything about me. You could ask first though.

    I'll be here when you're ready.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,420

    Default


  8. #18
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    In any case, I happen to appreciate a lot about the RCC. For example, the oldschool Protestant mentality is "sola scriptura". Many evangelicals think this way to this day. If something in archaelogy or science contradicts scripture, then it must be put down. I've found that Catholic materials are far more open. Sometimes they create paradox by leaving room for both academia and tradition, but that's better than being closeminded. Even the standard (American) Catholic bible (umm.. the NAB, I think) is full of critical commentary. They don't try to hide it or rationalize around it.

    Now I guess my point is that this is just one thing I wouldn't want to go away. If religion is going to stick around, it's nice that there are open minded people involved.
    What you're describing is only the thin end of the wedge.

    If you consider the discourse on free will between Erasmus and Luther it will appear that Erasmus is the more reasonable thinker, yet many assume a sort of progressive series of steps in which protestantism and the reformation were in fact the more reasonable and modern, a bridge to the present, in reality many of the trends unleashed at that time were much more atavistic than the RCC establishment, hence the crimes in Calvin's Geneva, almost entirely forgotten, which deliberately aimed to achieve parity in terror with the inquisition, witch hunts and burnings by puritans etc.

    This in turn created the cultural ferment from which arose atheism and secularism either because people were challenging the atavistic or bigoted tendencies or they saw it as a logical next step in the intellectual trend protestantism for them represented.

    When history is examined there is a lot of present day bias imported into it, a lot of "my enemy's enemy is my friend" rationalisation, so someone opposed to roman catholicism or religiosity per se will assume that its historical challengers were all "good guys" believing broadly similar things to themselves.

  9. #19
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Yeah, you don't know anything about me. You could ask first though.

    I'll be here when you're ready.
    Think about what I said, think about your response and then, well, just think instead of emoting.

  10. #20
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Think about what I said, think about your response and then, well, just think instead of emoting.
    You're one of the strangest people here, when it comes to projections. Half of your posts are emotionally charged and accusing people of "projecting" something on to you. It seems to be your biggest pet peeve.. Yet, it's what you do to others. It's at a comical level really.

    I'm not emoting anything. I'm dry as a...umm... well, whatever is "dry". I'm dry as that.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 11-15-2016, 03:27 PM
  2. The Prime Minister of Ireland and the Roman Catholic Church
    By Mole in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-25-2011, 10:36 PM
  3. A Revivified Corpse: Left-Fascism in the Twenty-First Century
    By Sniffles in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-05-2009, 08:33 PM
  4. Power and Pedophilia in the Catholic Church
    By Mole in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 07-01-2008, 07:06 AM
  5. The Emerging Church - Thoughts on Postmodern Christianity
    By Apollonian in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-07-2007, 09:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO