User Tag List

First 12

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    @ygolo Let me test you too.
    Suppose you had 100 billion dollars. You are now given this challenge:
    A person is gonna pick a number between 1 and 10 and write it in a paper. He's gonna tell you that if you get it right you lose everything, but if you get it wrong you get to be a trillionaire (and I'm not talking about somalian shillings).
    Do you take the challenge?
    No. Money isn't that important to me, but I want enough to live on. You could say that I have reached the "bliss point."

Even a 10% chance of loosing everything is too much for me. The two scenarios I gave had a 90% chance, and a 35% chance of ruin. You were more generous But still, I would not have taken the challenge.

But this is exactly the type of thing I was trying to test. Because, I know a few people who accuse me of being "irrational" for choosing that way.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    No. Money isn't that important to me, but I want enough to live on. You could say that I have reached the "bliss point."

Even a 10% chance of loosing everything is too much for me. The two scenarios I gave had a 90% chance, and a 35% chance of ruin. You were more generous But still, I would not have taken the challenge.

But this is exactly the type of thing I was trying to test. Because, I know a few people who accuse me of being "irrational" for choosing that way.
    Interesting. Must be the same ones that endorse the efficient-market hypothesis. :p
    They fail to recognize that, 10x as much money as you currently have most likely isn't 10x as good.
    Is the potential to acquire a yacht worth risking retirement money? I guess not. But some people would disagree.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------