User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: Beliefs

  1. #1

    Default Beliefs

    People have to believe in something.

    And.

    If you dont believe in something, you'll fall for anything.

    Do you agree with either of these statements? Why? Why not?

  2. #2
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    Sometimes when you open yourself to belief in something, you open the door to believing anything.

  3. #3
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    If you dont believe in something, you'll fall for anything.

    Do you agree with either of these statements? Why? Why not?
    I disagree. It's making belief the only platform for conviction or warding off nonsense. As if you can't stand on reason.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I disagree. It's making belief the only platform for conviction or warding off nonsense. As if you can't stand on reason.
    So you believe in reason?

  5. #5
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    So you believe in reason?
    I don't see why it's a belief. Lets take reason into the practical arena for a second. If I was working on a problem and was a bit out of my element (lets say, with a faulty light fixture), and some alarmist next to me was speculating on how it went wrong and the sky is falling.. I'm not just going to "fall for anything" and accept what they say. I might not have any beliefs of my own about it, but it doesn't mean I'll fall for whoever else comes by and tries to provide an answer. It's in my own power to trace back to where the problem began, and figure out how it works. And reason isn't different in the larger life situations you wish to talk about. It's only controversial because it turns it's focus on things people get charged up about (like religion).

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I don't see why it's a belief. Lets take reason into the practical arena for a second. If I was working on a problem and was a bit out of my element (lets say, with a faulty light fixture), and some alarmist next to me was speculating on how it went wrong and the sky is falling.. I'm not just going to "fall for anything" and accept what they say. I might not have any beliefs of my own about it, but it doesn't mean I'll fall for whoever else comes by and tries to provide an answer. It's in my own power to trace back to where the problem began, and figure out how it works. And reason isn't different in the larger life situations you wish to talk about. It's only controversial because it turns it's focus on things people get charged up about (like religion).
    A very emotive post.

    It is possible to believe in reason like anything else, it is not the only basis for decision making but if you think it is the best then that is a belief surely, I dont see the dichotomy between reason and religion which you're setting up in your post. That would not be one of my beliefs.

  7. #7
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    A very emotive post.

    It is possible to believe in reason like anything else, it is not the only basis for decision making but if you think it is the best then that is a belief surely, I dont see the dichotomy between reason and religion which you're setting up in your post. That would not be one of my beliefs.
    Belief in reason and belief in the supernatural are not similar, except that you call them both 'beliefs'. One has utility is describing phenomena beyond itself. Can you guess which one I'm referring to?

  8. #8
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    A very emotive post.

    It is possible to believe in reason like anything else, it is not the only basis for decision making but if you think it is the best then that is a belief surely, I dont see the dichotomy between reason and religion which you're setting up in your post. That would not be one of my beliefs.
    Just to add, I think you're assuming too much about me specifically. I'm not necessarily standing for a "Reason" (captial R) centric worldview. I have some spiritual beliefs of my own. I'm only saying that someone could stand on Reason, and not be gullible or "fall for anything". It doesn't make sense to me why you'd think that. I tried to illustrate it above, in how it works in a practical way. It's a step by step approach in finding the truth of things. It has nothing to do with expansive worldviews and beliefs.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Just to add, I think you're assuming too much about me specifically. I'm not necessarily standing for a "Reason" (captial R) centric worldview. I have some spiritual beliefs of my own. I'm only saying that someone could stand on Reason, and not be gullible or "fall for anything". It doesn't make sense to me why you'd think that. I tried to illustrate it above, in how it works in a practical way. It's a step by step approach in finding the truth of things. It has nothing to do with expansive worldviews and beliefs.
    I wasnt contrasting spiritual belief or theism and rationalism in my original post you know.

  10. #10
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I wasnt contrasting spiritual belief or theism and rationalism in my original post you know.
    Well, what were you saying? Clue me in.

    "If you dont believe in something, you'll fall for anything."

    It sounds like you're saying that someone who's a skeptic is ultimately gullible.

    I disagree with it. But mostly, I don't even understand it.

Similar Threads

  1. Test: Belief-o-Matic Quiz
    By Totenkindly in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 180
    Last Post: 11-22-2016, 09:04 AM
  2. Infallible Beliefs
    By Kiddo in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-11-2009, 09:49 AM
  3. People have room in their hearts for One Great Belief ...
    By ArchAngel in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-15-2009, 03:05 AM
  4. Be prepared to defend your beliefs!
    By Virtual ghost in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 06-23-2008, 10:58 AM
  5. Different belief systems
    By Kiddo in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-04-2008, 01:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO