User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Beliefs

Default Beliefs

People have to believe in something.

And.

If you dont believe in something, you'll fall for anything.

Do you agree with either of these statements? Why? Why not?

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Sometimes when you open yourself to belief in something, you open the door to believing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    If you dont believe in something, you'll fall for anything.

Do you agree with either of these statements? Why? Why not?
    I disagree. It's making belief the only platform for conviction or warding off nonsense. As if you can't stand on reason.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I disagree. It's making belief the only platform for conviction or warding off nonsense. As if you can't stand on reason.
    So you believe in reason?

So you believe in reason?
    I don't see why it's a belief. Lets take reason into the practical arena for a second. If I was working on a problem and was a bit out of my element (lets say, with a faulty light fixture), and some alarmist next to me was speculating on how it went wrong and the sky is falling.. I'm not just going to "fall for anything" and accept what they say. I might not have any beliefs of my own about it, but it doesn't mean I'll fall for whoever else comes by and tries to provide an answer. It's in my own power to trace back to where the problem began, and figure out how it works. And reason isn't different in the larger life situations you wish to talk about. It's only controversial because it turns it's focus on things people get charged up about (like religion).

I don't see why it's a belief. Lets take reason into the practical arena for a second. If I was working on a problem and was a bit out of my element (lets say, with a faulty light fixture), and some alarmist next to me was speculating on how it went wrong and the sky is falling.. I'm not just going to "fall for anything" and accept what they say. I might not have any beliefs of my own about it, but it doesn't mean I'll fall for whoever else comes by and tries to provide an answer. It's in my own power to trace back to where the problem began, and figure out how it works. And reason isn't different in the larger life situations you wish to talk about. It's only controversial because it turns it's focus on things people get charged up about (like religion).
    A very emotive post.

It is possible to believe in reason like anything else, it is not the only basis for decision making but if you think it is the best then that is a belief surely, I dont see the dichotomy between reason and religion which you're setting up in your post. That would not be one of my beliefs.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

A very emotive post.

It is possible to believe in reason like anything else, it is not the only basis for decision making but if you think it is the best then that is a belief surely, I dont see the dichotomy between reason and religion which you're setting up in your post. That would not be one of my beliefs.
    Belief in reason and belief in the supernatural are not similar, except that you call them both 'beliefs'. One has utility is describing phenomena beyond itself. Can you guess which one I'm referring to?

A very emotive post.

Just to add, I think you're assuming too much about me specifically. I'm not necessarily standing for a "Reason" (captial R) centric worldview. I have some spiritual beliefs of my own. I'm only saying that someone could stand on Reason, and not be gullible or "fall for anything". It doesn't make sense to me why you'd think that. I tried to illustrate it above, in how it works in a practical way. It's a step by step approach in finding the truth of things. It has nothing to do with expansive worldviews and beliefs.

Just to add, I think you're assuming too much about me specifically. I'm not necessarily standing for a "Reason" (captial R) centric worldview. I have some spiritual beliefs of my own. I'm only saying that someone could stand on Reason, and not be gullible or "fall for anything". It doesn't make sense to me why you'd think that. I tried to illustrate it above, in how it works in a practical way. It's a step by step approach in finding the truth of things. It has nothing to do with expansive worldviews and beliefs.
    I wasnt contrasting spiritual belief or theism and rationalism in my original post you know.

I wasnt contrasting spiritual belief or theism and rationalism in my original post you know.
    Well, what were you saying? Clue me in.

"If you dont believe in something, you'll fall for anything."

It sounds like you're saying that someone who's a skeptic is ultimately gullible.

I disagree with it. But mostly, I don't even understand it.