User Tag List

First 234

Thread: Beliefs

Smile It's all good

Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    And there's nothing inherently wrong about the idea that Sun goes around Earth.
    It is actually wrong.

Our senses have deceived us for almost as long as we have been on Earth. But since the Enlightenment we have been able to prove mathematically that the Earth goes round the Sun.

In general we are familiar and practised with things our own size, but once things get too big or too small, they become counter-intuitive, and we can't imagine them anymore.

So outside our own size the universe is hard, even impossible, to understand except mathematically.

MBTI, for instance, can be shown to be mathematically false, but no one cares because we prefer to trust our common senses rather than mathematics - and so naturally we are led into delusion.

And we are led into delusion by institutions who need to control us such as the military and business, called by President Eisenhower, "The Military/Industrial Complex".

But hey, really, it's all just a joke, nobody takes it seriously, it's all good, it's all just good clean fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    People have to believe in something.
    I suppose this depends what you mean by "believe".

We can act on tentative "beliefs." There are varying degrees of confidence in these beliefs.

I cannot explicitly give my algorithm for my confidence, but generally, the more solid evidence I have about something, the more confidence I will have for it.

If you dont believe in something, you'll fall for anything.
    I think this is B.S. "Believing in" something is quite different from having a certain degree of confidence in something due to evidence (as above).

I have actually found that better agreement and more stable truths are discovered through doubt than faith.

Do you agree with either of these statements? Why? Why not?
    I somewhat agree with the first statement.

The second statement is evidently false. Since, I don't really "believe in" anything, and didn't fall for that particular statement.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It is actually wrong.
    No it's not.
    The universe doesn't exist on a grid.

Our senses have deceived us for almost as long as we have been on Earth. But since the Enlightenment we have been able to prove mathematically that the Earth goes round the Sun.
    Mathematics hasn't proven anything outside of itself.

It is actually wrong.

Maybe we should somehow prevent the earth from rotating on it's axis so that a day would last for six months. a sunrise per year. Do you think this would lead people to appreciate our sunrises and sunsets a bit more, and our environment and the species that populate it? Do you think they would become more compassionate and military powers would melt down all of their guns and reshape them as plows and rebar to make free homes for everyone?
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

hmm seems I have won, WINNER! ( Walks out room with self-validation, with arms raised in air)
    1+1=3 OMFG

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

People have to believe in something.
    No.
    If you dont believe in something, you'll fall for anything.
    Nah. That's theist pseudologic.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

How do we even define "belief"? As an emotional state, like strength of conviction? As a degree of certitude on some basis? And then on what basis, and how do we agree on this basis?
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --