• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does Infinity Exist?

Munchies

MBTI Type
XNXP
Enneagram
OMG
Instinctual Variant
sx
light cones perpetually expand. Microcosm has infinite energy based on the lower microcosms. Divide and multiply until infinity; until you hit a "wall". The wall for the microcosm is the "big bang". The wall for the microcosm is the expanding microwave wall. But for this universe to exist there would have to be other simmilar enities on the same dimension outside these micro and macrocosmic walls to structure this universe. There is evidence that things inside this universe are being pulled to one side of the universe, hinting that there is another universe outside this univer getting closer making the inner workings of this current univer gravitate towards that side of the wall. The physics of a none physical pshere will prove there is no center. Projection geometry proves it. I forget the name of the operation bbut basicly absolute nothing ness= absolute everything. It's the same quanitiy, just different direction ie: - and +

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Divide by 0. Short answer, yes. You can multiply any number by 0 and still get zero. And you can divide any number by 0 and get an infinite piece of +/- ∞, an undefined piece, or cannot compute piece.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think there's an edge to this universe. I think we're living inside a singularity.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I'll make it easy without getting too in depth. No, infinity does not exist within the realm that we [the human race] has been cast into.

redacted

No.

There's a huge difference between the concept being descriptively useful and actual things existing in infinite amounts.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, the concept exists. I don't think an infinity of things exist. Possibly time is infinite. I'm out of my depth.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I believe that non-rational perceptions exist for as long as you perceive them. Infinity is like God or Love existing only as long as it is felt.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

Yes. And no. It depends on what kind of infinity you are talking about. Mostly "yes" though.

The only type of infinity which does not exist is something you require to be discovered by science. Science only studies that which can be measured. Infinite things cannot be measured by definition.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Mathematically, yes infinity exists. Yet some aspects of infinity are hard to imagine because they go beyond what we are capable of perceiving and experiencing. Just because its difficult to wrap our minds around it does not mean it can't exist.

G

Ginkgo

Mathematically, yes infinity exists. Yet some aspects of infinity are hard to imagine because they go beyond what we are capable of perceiving and experiencing. Just because its difficult to wrap our minds around it does not mean it can't exist.

I agree. If 1 exists, and 1 includes infinite fractions, then infinity exists.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Either it does or the universe came out of nothingness, which is just as cool.

I'm gonna go fold my pants

xisnotx

Permabanned
Infinity is nothingness....just the opposite way around.

Which is why it's just a system, and since it's a system which was developed by humans (and since humans aren't even capable of conceptualizing systems that reflect reality) then it only exists until someone decides that it doesn't...and builds another system to incorporate that idea.

The only conceptual systems that can be assessed to reflect reality would have to have a source which is entirely independent of us. Some would say god....the answer is 42.

Munchies

MBTI Type
XNXP
Enneagram
OMG
Instinctual Variant
sx
Conceptually, yes.
Realistically, no.

i like that. Because in calculus there is the use of real and imaginary numbers. it can be real. just not in this time place or dimention

Munchies

MBTI Type
XNXP
Enneagram
OMG
Instinctual Variant
sx
Infinity is nothingness....just the opposite way around.

Which is why it's just a system, and since it's a system which was developed by humans (and since humans aren't even capable of conceptualizing systems that reflect reality) then it only exists until someone decides that it doesn't...and builds another system to incorporate that idea.

The only conceptual systems that can be assessed to reflect reality would have to have a source which is entirely independent of us. Some would say god....the answer is 42.
I understand the first part because that was in my first post on this thread but the rest baffles me. Can you elaborate? sounds like you are talking about the matrix

xisnotx

Permabanned
Don't knock the matrix lol

Reality as it is experienced by humans is clouded from actual reality due to the limitations of our senses. For humans to ever achieve actual reality, we would have to be able to experience a total reality as determined by a source that doesn't have these limitations. I'm of the opinion that this reality exists and that one day we will be able to prove it.

The matrix is about lifting the 'reality veil' that a lot of us have...and the super computer is about allowing the computer to dictate what actual reality actually is ( and thus telling us).

But thats tangentinial.

Related back to my post...the nature of existence will be independent of a human determined thought system (even a consistent one) due to these inherent limitations. Thus claiming that infinity does exist is akin to thinking that humans have the capacity to conceptualize reality in the first place. I don't think we do...and seeing as infinity is nothing more than a thought system developed entirely by us...to claim that it actually exists is presumptuous.