User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Default no hope = no fear. no fear = no hope?

That guy on my avatar claims that without hope, there is no fear and i agree:

Id like to point out that im referring to the 'active' hope, the type of that a person has in him, not the 'passive' hope, which the person is unaware and is caused by environment. Like "i hope that im able to impress thi girl", not "there is some hope for jack to get a girlfriend".

To what degree do you guys think it works the other way, no fear = no hope? Naturally intense fear without the ability to overcome it, can work as an disadvantage, so its not black and white thing.

Is fear an motivator for hope and hope motivator for fear? Without facing the fear, naturally you lower your chances to get what you hope for.

Do you think that fear and hope are two sides of the same coin?

Anything else come in mind about this?
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Lack of fear could also mean ignorance. I don't think hope and fear are that connected.
    Optimistic people are usually at the same time more hopeful and more fearless.
    Last edited by Rasofy; 03-01-2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: ...
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Fear could also mean ignorance. I don't think hope and fear are that connected.

If you look at optimistic attitude closer, its about repressing/suppressing negative thoughts about outcome(fears) and concentrating on possible positive outcome(hope). So how does this comment of positivity go against the assumption that there is no hope without fear? Lets say that someone has hope, how can he have the hope without repressing/suppressing fear?

Edit. Ups i read that you said fear could mean ignorance.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    How does fear mean ignorance?
    My mistake, I meant lack of fear. People usually lack fear when they underestimate (ignore) consequences or overestimate (ignore) their abilities.
    Also if you look at optimistic attitude closer, its about repressing/suppressing negative thoughts about outcome(fears) and concentrating on possible positive outcome(hope). So how does this comment of positivity go against the assumption that there is no hope without fear? Lets say that someone has hope, how can he have the hope without repressing/suppressing fear?
    You don't have supress what you don't consciously focus your awareness at. I just don't think there is a connection at all. In fact, I think the opposite is true: hope is more connected with the absence of fear and vice versa.
    -----------------

A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Anyways, there are scenarios on which your theory does make sense, like extreme depression. That's a case where the abscence of hope can make one not fear death.
    It just doesn't seem to be rule.
    -----------------

-----------------

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Having no hope doesn't necessarily equate no fear. A less equation offering a point of view distant from the extremities might produce another feeling, whether we are consciously aware of it or not.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

fear and hope, i think, are two ends of the spectrum. Forget the duality because in essence these both are the same thing. Such as love and hate, and bad and good. It's just a different direction of perception, but with the same emotional tone and connection to reality. (it is just useless imagination)

I see it as "will" as being the center of the fear and hope.

Fear is the motivation to not do, and hope is your motivation not to do either... since you are just in imaginary land. , while your will and determination is your motivation to do. Fear will only destract you from your intentions and will only misguid you. Your constructs are only as perplexed as your will is. Stop thinking i cant, and stop thinking period. Become centered with your ego and your will, and only do what you must do. 100% or nothing. No need to fear or hope anything, because that would mean you are living in imagination. Find out what you want, get it. Do not hope or fear for anything, only act. Hope and fear are emotions and are pretty usless in most cases imo
    1+1=3 OMFG

ReflecTcelfeR

A lack of fear could signify a lack of interest; which, could mean hope is no longer required.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Lack of fear could also mean ignorance. I don't think hope and fear are that connected.
    Well the opposite is true also. The more knowledgable a person or group is the less fear of the unknown they are becaseu they know more about any given situation. A good example would be teh evolution of religion.
    Innovation is the epicenter between Imagination and Logic.
    -Stephen M Cordova

You and your friend can draw together > http://draw.newphidias.com/ <

One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.
    -Thomas Jefferson, 1796

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecTcelfeR View Post
    A lack of fear could signify a lack of interest; which, could mean hope is no longer required.
    in the direction of hope, is a direction of your interest. In the negative direction of hope; fear, is still propelled by the median of your interest, you. You fear or hope to what you are thinking relative to. Do not think fearfully and you will not fear, same thing with hope.
    1+1=3 OMFG