• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Richard Dawkins "The most famous..... Agnostic?"

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It makes sense because god is omnipotent and can punish us for not praising and loving him.
Assume you were a God. Wouldn't you rather see people using their time doing good things to each other instead of hearing them repeat the same sentences everyday?

F

FigerPuppet

Assume you were a God. Wouldn't you rather see people using their time doing good things to each other instead of hearing them repeat the same sentences everyday?

Stop pushing your values onto other people/deities. God is his own person!

LEGERdeMAIN

One cannot know God's desires. I'm pretty sure that's called blasphemy or something, which happens to be illegal in my state.

dadapolka

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=4212]Peguy[/MENTION]: There is protest atheism - people who believe that if God or any deity existed, then they are likely to be evil and so should not be worshipped. Or something like that. It's hard to find very much on it though.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
[MENTION=4212]Peguy[/MENTION]: There is protest atheism - people who believe that if God or any deity existed, then they are likely to be evil and so should not be worshipped. Or something like that. It's hard to find very much on it though.

That's what Hitchens called "anti-theism."

Unique

99.9% of Atheists are also agnostic which is an independent category compatible with belief and non belief

The long title would be Agnostic-Atheists

But atheists just shorten it to Atheist for obvious reasons

Atheism as a term by itself isn't inherently arrogant anyway though, it simple means that you do not believe in God which refers to your belief not your knowledge. Ie. You can not believe in fairies but you don't KNOW for sure if they exist.

The fairies thing is actually something Dawkins refers to in which he says that he is Agnostic to God to the same degree that he is agnostic to fairies.

DisneyFanGirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
This is why I believe in God. Being an atheist leaves a lot of questions about where the world came from and why certain things happen that I wouldn't want to answer. Believing in God is simple and I find it very fulfilling too. I think Richard Dawkins has dug himself into a nice little theological hole.

Mole

Permabanned
Richard is right

This is why I believe in God. Being an atheist leaves a lot of questions about where the world came from and why certain things happen that I wouldn't want to answer. Believing in God is simple and I find it very fulfilling too. I think Richard Dawkins has dug himself into a nice little theological hole.

The problem is that Richard is right.

And no amount of theological rationalising will change that.

Richard is right today. He will be right tomorrow and next week and next year and even next century.

There are parts of the world where today Richard would be convicted of blasphemy and tortured and killed, but in this part of the world Richard enjoys free speech.

F

FigerPuppet

Aw, how sweet.

DisneyFanGirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
The problem is that Richard is right.

And no amount of theological rationalising will change that.

Richard is right today. He will be right tomorrow and next week and next year and even next century.

There are parts of the world where today Richard would be convicted of blasphemy and tortured and killed, but in this part of the world Richard enjoys free speech.

Just because you agree with him doesn't make him right. I'll fight for his free speech but I don't agree with him. Unless I misread that. In which case, sorry about that. And SmileyMan, of course it's sweet, it was typed in purple and came with a picture of Winnie the Pooh. I've really got to stop being so cutesy. :D

redacted

See, if I felt that a belief in God actually helped explain phenomena, I would be much more likely to consider it a valid belief. The problem is it doesn't help explain any currently unexplained natural phenomena any more than my belief system does. So not only does it not increase my predictive ability, it actually hinders my incentive to search for new ways of thinking.

DisneyFanGirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm just going to say I believe in God and I don't want a whole discussion about why I'm wrong or why you disagree with me. I'm not changing my mind. Now back to the topic and don't mind me!! :D

Mole

Permabanned
The Evidence

Just because you agree with him doesn't make him right.

Of course agreeing with Richard doesn't make him right, just as disagreeing with him doesn't make him wrong.

No, what makes him right or wrong is the evidence.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Of course agreeing with Richard doesn't make him right, just as disagreeing with him doesn't make him wrong.

No, what makes him right or wrong is the evidence.

The evidence doesn't definitively prove anything, it only provides indication of what is most probable... But that is what is considered most probable and reasonable to us, human beings, with our pea sized brains.

Mole

Permabanned
Probability

The evidence doesn't definitively prove anything, it only provides indication of what is most probable... But that is what is considered most probable and reasonable to us, human beings, with our pea sized brains.

Sure, we have evidence to 10 decimal places and counting for quantum mechanics, but you are right - it is still probable - in fact it is based on probability.

And we have evidence for General Relativity to 8 decimal places and counting, and you are right again, Gerneral Relativity is probable.

However there is no evidence that God exists and no evidence that God doesn't exist, so the existence and the non-existence of God is improbable.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
However there is no evidence that God exists and no evidence that God doesn't exist, so the existence and the non-existence of God is improbable.

white-boy-say-what.jpg