User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Richard is right

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFanGirl View Post
    This is why I believe in God. Being an atheist leaves a lot of questions about where the world came from and why certain things happen that I wouldn't want to answer. Believing in God is simple and I find it very fulfilling too. I think Richard Dawkins has dug himself into a nice little theological hole.
    The problem is that Richard is right.

And no amount of theological rationalising will change that.

Richard is right today. He will be right tomorrow and next week and next year and even next century.

There are parts of the world where today Richard would be convicted of blasphemy and tortured and killed, but in this part of the world Richard enjoys free speech.

FigerPuppet

This is why I believe in God. Being an atheist leaves a lot of questions about where the world came from and why certain things happen that I wouldn't want to answer. Believing in God is simple and I find it very fulfilling too. I think Richard Dawkins has dug himself into a nice little theological hole.
    Aw, how sweet.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The problem is that Richard is right.

And no amount of theological rationalising will change that.

Richard is right today. He will be right tomorrow and next week and next year and even next century.

There are parts of the world where today Richard would be convicted of blasphemy and tortured and killed, but in this part of the world Richard enjoys free speech.
    Just because you agree with him doesn't make him right. I'll fight for his free speech but I don't agree with him. Unless I misread that. In which case, sorry about that. And SmileyMan, of course it's sweet, it was typed in purple and came with a picture of Winnie the Pooh. I've really got to stop being so cutesy.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

See, if I felt that a belief in God actually helped explain phenomena, I would be much more likely to consider it a valid belief. The problem is it doesn't help explain any currently unexplained natural phenomena any more than my belief system does. So not only does it not increase my predictive ability, it actually hinders my incentive to search for new ways of thinking.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx

I'm just going to say I believe in God and I don't want a whole discussion about why I'm wrong or why you disagree with me. I'm not changing my mind. Now back to the topic and don't mind me!!

MBTI
    ISTx

I'm not changing my mind.
    Spoken like a true theist

The Evidence

[COLOR="indigo"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Just because you agree with him doesn't make him right.
    Of course agreeing with Richard doesn't make him right, just as disagreeing with him doesn't make him wrong.

No, what makes him right or wrong is the evidence.

MBTI
    ISTx

Of course agreeing with Richard doesn't make him right, just as disagreeing with him doesn't make him wrong.

No, what makes him right or wrong is the evidence.
    The evidence doesn't definitively prove anything, it only provides indication of what is most probable... But that is what is considered most probable and reasonable to us, human beings, with our pea sized brains.

Probability

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    The evidence doesn't definitively prove anything, it only provides indication of what is most probable... But that is what is considered most probable and reasonable to us, human beings, with our pea sized brains.
    Sure, we have evidence to 10 decimal places and counting for quantum mechanics, but you are right - it is still probable - in fact it is based on probability.

And we have evidence for General Relativity to 8 decimal places and counting, and you are right again, Gerneral Relativity is probable.

However there is no evidence that God exists and no evidence that God doesn't exist, so the existence and the non-existence of God is improbable.

MBTI
    ISTx

However there is no evidence that God exists and no evidence that God doesn't exist, so the existence and the non-existence of God is improbable.