User Tag List

First 1234 Last

FigerPuppet

I'm so tired of the way some "agnostics" separate themselves from other atheists in these discussions; as if they on a higher ground than the latter. You cannot label yourself as an "agnostic" without adding what you are agnostic ABOUT. There are 4 categories of people - all people can be boxed into one of these, whether you like it or not. Sorted after strength of belief (although some would argue that it takes at least as much faith to have a complete belief in God's non-existence as it does having a complete belief in His existence):

Gnostic theist
    Agnostic theist
    Agnostic atheist (Dawkins, and most other "reasonable" atheists - despite of Dawkins having lapses, probably due to his age)
    Gnostic atheist (fanatic)

Most atheists fall into the third.

Let's look at the definition of agnosticism:
    Agnosticism is the view that the truth value of certain claims—especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity, but also other religious and metaphysical claims—is unknown or unknowable.[1][2]
    As you can see, it says nothing about your actual belief in the thing's existence. That's why it's almost a non sequitur simply answering "I'm agnostic" to the question "Do you believe in God?"

The definition of gnosticism is a bit more difficult to tie down, but it's by definition the opposite of agnosticism - so a gnostic person possesses actual knowledge about the thing's (non-)existence, ie. "I know God exists." These people are usually perceived as crazy.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

^ Yeah, I mean that just makes sense. It would be just as idiotic to say "I completely believe there isn't a crazy gorilla at the center of the universe" as to say you believe there is one.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

I predict a death bed conversion in someones future.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Kind of like Charles Darwin's?

("Reports of my conversion were extremely exaggerated.")
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Kind of like Charles Darwin's?

("Reports of my conversion were extremely exaggerated.")
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Wait...isn't this exactly what he's always said?

Actually, that's not a question. It IS what he's always said. Or did you guys think, up until this point, that he was advocating the a priori assumption that God doesn't exist? I mean, that's why he's always going on and on about evidence...
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

I find that those who call themselves agnostics are usually inconsistent in their reluctance to believe one thing or the other. In their everday lives, they claim to know that pigs cannot fly, relying only on fallible human knowledge; but when it comes to this question, they suddenly give great seriousness to argumentative abortions that, in matters of pig, would certainly be lauged off.

Yes, this topic has the potential to raise interesting questions about epistemology and logic in general, but, at the end of the day, we do feel comfortable saying that pigs cannot fly. So the hesitance to say as much about (the christian) god suggests, I venture to guess, a fear of the audience rather than an honest mind.

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    I'm so tired of the way some "agnostics" separate themselves from other atheists in these discussions; as if they on a higher ground than the latter. You cannot label yourself as an "agnostic" without adding what you are agnostic ABOUT. There are 4 categories of people - all people can be boxed into one of these, whether you like it or not. Sorted after strength of belief (although some would argue that it takes at least as much faith to have a complete belief in God's non-existence as it does having a complete belief in His existence):

Gnostic theist
    Agnostic theist
    Agnostic atheist (Dawkins, and most other "reasonable" atheists - despite of Dawkins having lapses, probably due to his age)
    Prepare to be more weary. Having reread the definitions, I don't feel comfortable using any label more specific than 'agnostic' because it wouldn't be accurate.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Prepare to be more weary. Having reread the definitions, I don't feel comfortable using any label more specific than 'agnostic' because it wouldn't be accurate.
    You'll have to expand on that.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Gnostic theist
    Agnostic theist
    I have some severe reservations of how helpful this distinction truely is - not least of because "gnostic" is often used to identify a particular kind of religious belief system that is distinguish from other religious systems like Christianity in most cases. There are issues of mixing up different concepts here too.