User Tag List

First 8910

Cool The Poetic Code

The less people who understand a poem the better. And just as a woman should keep her mystery, so should a poem.

No one in their right mind writes a poem for money, and no one want to prostitute a poem. Who wants their poem handed round from hairy hand to hairy hand, who wants their poem drooled over in locker rooms?

If we can't license poems like guns and keep them in locked safes, the very least we can do is make them unintellibible.

Yes, poems are a secret code to the unconscious, they are the secret path to the rag and bone yard of the heart, they speak from the hidden springs of Delphi.

Cool Poems and Wikileaks

No poems should be published.

Let the hackers find them and release them one by one on Wikileaks.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

That's interesting you say that @Victor, because some of the very best hackers I know are poets. Revolutionaries usually do have a knack for words.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wRjc2Qg-3Y"]wal-mart[/YOUTUBE]
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I think a little bit of both happens. I think that reader interprets from their own viewpoint & injects some meaning, and the author may have many intended meanings. This doesn't mean that the author strategizes on how to fit these meanings into one poem. I think they often are expressing a feeling/idea that has many layers & angles for themselves as well. Something precise & exact would not be able to capture all of this so neatly, which is why art is the means of expression.

I'm no great poet/writer, but sometimes I see other meanings than what I was consciously aware of in the moment in what I write myself, and they're neither deliberate nor unintended. I don't start necessarily with any specific message in mind; it sort of unfolds itself.

To try & reduce a poem to one, specific meaning sort of misses the point of what poetry does. It expresses what ordinary phrasing can't. I have no issue with analyzing poems though, which I find entertaining & enlightening, as long as there is no insistence that it must mean one, specific thing. Some interpretations are better than others too; they manage to intellectualize the feeling/idea as best you can without reducing it to something else, something so specific it blocks out the rest of its ideas. Line by line analyzing can be silly when the whole thing is creating a mood/atmosphere; it's like analyzing a painting by every square inch. It seems like people need to make "sense of" every part. The words themselves are not the whole thing anyway; there's the rhyme, line structure, rhythm & other ways the sounds & even visual aspects of the words interplay.

Anyhow, I've noticed the exact opposite of some here when it comes to how people approach poetry. Many people interpret things very literally. I've noticed this not only in poetry but even in song lyrics. Many think a poem or song must be about a specific, literal experience, as if something real in a concrete sense must have triggered it. It seems many poems/songs are not about such literal things at all. It's not necessarily about the writer or their life or any specific thing, but just general concepts & ideas that are not easily expressed any other way.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Unclean Idolators

If we trace a poem back to its birth, we find it begins before meaning and interpretation. And that is why meaning and interpretation are not poems.

Meaning and interpretation are false idols, they are not kosher, they are not halal.

Meaning and interpretation are for unclean idolators.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Poetry and morality do not mix, other than humourously.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.