User Tag List

12 Last

Ginkgo

Question Stored Consciousness

If you had the chance to store your consciousness in a hard drive or other physical platform aside from your brain, would you do it? Why?

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Consciousness is a byproduct coming from multiple things, consciousness itself is the same thing in every people, its just that the memories etc(which guide consciousness) are different. So you would need to make a complete map of brains, store this information and somehow be able to make a copy of it(it would need to be in atomic level) and get everything in it to continue from where it was when the map was made. When these brains start running, its the same consciousness in it than in the brains that were mapped. This being said, the consciousness(or the map of your brains) wouldnt be active during the storage, so basically it would be just there to be summoned some day in the future. Not sure if i would want to wake up futurame style or not.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    If you had the chance to store your consciousness in a hard drive or other physical platform aside from your brain, would you do it? Why?
    First they told me computers never make a mistake; and now they are telling me computers are conscious.

What do they take me for?

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    First they told me computers never make a mistake; and now they are telling me computers are conscious.

What do they take me for?
    Whether artificial consciousness can be(or has been) created is a matter of debate, simply because they are debating about what conatitutes as consciousness. Some people go to the extend and say that basic pc has some sort of consciousness, others say that only some super computers with built artificial consciousness are conscious, other say that artificial consciousness isnt consciousness at all, but just built to mimic behavior that seems as if it were conscious.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

The Literal Interpretation of Metaphor

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Whether artificial consciousness can be(or has been) created is a matter of debate, simply because they are debating about what conatitutes as consciousness. Some people go to the extend and say that basic pc has some sort of consciousness, others say that only some super computers with built artificial consciousness are conscious, other say that artificial consciousness isnt consciousness at all, but just built to mimic behavior that seems as if it were conscious.
    I think it is pretty obvious that the computer is a metaphor for consciousness, just as the steam engine was a metaphor for the emotions in the Age of Steam.

And with the steam engine as a metaphor, we were told we needed to vent our emotions just as steam engine vents steam; and if we didn't let off steam, we would explode. Please!

And with the computer as metaphor in the Computer Age, we are told we process information just like a computer. And we are told we can have information overload just like a computer. Please! Please! Please!

So we see the literal minded mistake a metaphor for reality, just as fundamentalists believe in the literal interpretation of their holy books.

So our problem here is not the storing of consciousness but instead the literal interpretation of metaphor.

It depends, would I be able to keep my consciousness in my brain also? Would this be just a "back-up"?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I think it is pretty obvious that the computer is a metaphor for consciousness, just as the steam engine was a metaphor for the emotions in the Age of Steam.

And with the steam engine as a metaphor, we were told we needed to vent our emotions just as steam engine vents steam; and if we didn't let off steam, we would explode. Please!

And with the computer as metaphor in the Computer Age, we are told we process information just like a computer. And we are told we can have information overload just like a computer. Please! Please! Please!

So we see the literal minded mistake a metaphor for reality, just as fundamentalists believe in the literal interpretation of their holy books.

So our problem here is not the storing of consciousness but instead the literal interpretation of metaphor.

That's why modern cognitive science is in a mess: we're treating the brain as a computer. Hence the allures of a disembodied brain, by "mind uploading". Never mind the pesky fact that brains exist integrally with the rest of the body...

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yes, if I could guarantee no one else had access to it.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Thisica View Post

That's why modern cognitive science is in a mess: we're treating the brain as a computer. Hence the allures of a disembodied brain, by "mind uploading". Never mind the pesky fact that brains exist integrally with the rest of the body...
    It's easy problem to solve, you just store a model of the body along with it as well...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'd put it out under a Creative Commons license, people could do mashups of my consciousness with Justin Bieber songs.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."