User Tag List

First 12

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

It cannot be done.
    Ever heard of dark energy and dark matter? Products of the age of Hubble, in which we saw into the macrocosm. That single tool shook the foundations upon which all understanding of the universe was placed.
    Soon we will enter a new age wherein we see into the microcosm, and all bets will be off.
    'If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck.' All this means is that you know what a duck looks and sounds like, not what it is.
    Reductionism is seldom proven correct, given enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    It cannot be done.
    For every shield constructed there is a sword to pierce it. (Where there is a will there is a way).

This is philosophical question, like brain in a vat. If a brain was kept alive in a vat of life sustaining fluid what would it be thinking? Would it know that it is in a vat of fluid?

If you were able to put your consciousness on a hard drive would you?

It’s said that imitation is the ultimate compliment. I think imitation is more like a football in the groin. It’s funny till it happens to you.

I would not put my Consciousness on a hard drive there’s only room for one of me in this universe!
    Innovation is the epicenter between Imagination and Logic.
    -Stephen M Cordova

You and your friend can draw together > http://draw.newphidias.com/ <

One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.
    -Thomas Jefferson, 1796

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Consciousness is a byproduct coming from multiple things, consciousness itself is the same thing in every people, its just that the memories etc(which guide consciousness) are different. So you would need to make a complete map of brains, store this information and somehow be able to make a copy of it(it would need to be in atomic level) and get everything in it to continue from where it was when the map was made. When these brains start running, its the same consciousness in it than in the brains that were mapped. This being said, the consciousness(or the map of your brains) wouldnt be active during the storage, so basically it would be just there to be summoned some day in the future. Not sure if i would want to wake up futurame style or not.
    look at this guy
    1+1=3 OMFG

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Quote Originally Posted by LucidLegend1984 View Post
    I would not put my Consciousness on a hard drive there’s only room for one of me in this universe!
    You could not put your conciousness on the hard drive BECAUSE there is only room for one of you in this universe:o
    1+1=3 OMFG

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

It surely can be done some day. Neurons work as a net of entangled entities similiar to the internet. Sadly our technology aint so far yet, an equivalent of a neuron is still a very large and inefficient huge computer.

An interface, data storage and formating are the greatest challenges
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTp

Does that include the ability to think and deduce? In that case it would be both incredibly interesting and extremely dangerous. Computers process data at an incomparably faster rate than we do. A recent computer with a human's consciousness would instantly solve all questions about philosophy, mathematics, sociology, everything. It could also devise a plan to eradicate humanity or, on the contrary, save it from destruction by giving a working solution to every issue.
    Considering we'll likely destroy our planet in the not-so-distant future anyways, I'd try it.

If you meant only "store" then it basically means immortality, right? You store your consciousness on a computer just before you die, then transfer it to another human. I wouldn't do that if it means "killing" someone else's consciousness in the process.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

The universe is like a computer. It can be programmed to follow our will.

garbage

I would do so, because my consciousness includes my memory--my memory sucks and I could stand to enhance it for my own benefit. I use tricks to store my memory externally anyway; why not just go completely balls-out with those tricks?

Getting my memory out there in the form of a one-to-one mapping of my brain is a lot more effective than writing things down on a PDA or a notepad, or, worse, trying to recall things using my brain. I'd just write a Perl script to parse the contents of my brain, or something.

Would I get my consciousness out there for after I'm dead? Yeah, perhaps if it could be of benefit to science.

Consciousness and Being

Storing consciousness is storing being.

And as being alternatively conceals itself and reveals itself, storing being is like storing water in a sieve.

For consciousness is not a thing, it is not even a state of being, it is being itself.

If being were a thing, we could store it on the supermarket shelves, and pay for it at the checkout. When in reality, we pay for being with non-being.

And as being can no more be stored than non-being, so consciousness may not be stored.