• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's the point?

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was once asked by a member if I ever got depressed, because I always seem so happy. No, I'm not, and right now is one of those moments.

What's the point of it all? Life? Relationships? Before I go into some depressing, cynical rant, I want to hear other perspectives.

Mole

Permabanned
The Point and the Sense

There is only a point if we have a point of view.

And it was literacy that provided us with perspective and a point of view.

In other words, literacy privileged the eye, and gave us perspective, a point of view, and gave life a point.

And so life is pointless as we cease to privilege the eye and engage all the other senses.

Of course we find this disorentating and we are inclined to long for the point of it all.

So as our eye loses its privileged position, and all the other senses come out to play, we come to our senses, and it all starts to make sense.

So the point is replaced by the sense.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There is only a point if we have a point of view.

And it was literacy that provided us with perspective and a point of view.

In other words, literacy privileged the eye, and gave us perspective, a point of view, and gave life a point.

And so life is pointless as we cease to privilege the eye and engage all the other senses.

Of course we find this disorentating and we are inclined to long for the point of it all.

So as our eye loses its privileged position, and all the other senses come out to play, we come to our senses, and it all starts to make sense.

So the point is replaced by the sense.

Great. Time to invoke the sensing function.

Mole

Permabanned
Mourning

If I mourn it, I am giving power to my point, no?

I am afraid the point has gone and lost its power over you. And it is this loss of power that you miss.

So why not allow yourself to miss the point?

Allow yourself to mourn the loss of the point.

Allow yourself to feel the pain of loss.

Allow yourself to mourn.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am afraid the point has gone and lost its power over you. And it is this loss of power that you miss.

So why not allow yourself to miss the point?

Allow yourself to mourn the loss of the point.

Allow yourself to feel the pain of loss.

Allow yourself to mourn.

I find it hard to mourn something I can't put my finger on.

Mole

Permabanned
I find it hard to mourn something I can't put my finger on.

Sure, mourning is a feeling. And we can't put our finger on a feeling.

And it seems to me that you are experiencing an unpleasant feeling and you don't want to experience this feeling.

Can you feel yourself blocking this feeling and reaching hopelessly for some other feeling?

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sure, mourning is a feeling. And we can't put our finger on a feeling.

And it seems to me that you are experiencing an unpleasant feeling and you don't want to experience this feeling.

Can you feel yourself blocking this feeling and reaching hopelessly for some other feeling?

Yeah, blocking the feeling that there is no point and reaching for a point.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So what is the feeling you are blocking?

The feeling that there is no point. Though obviously it is coming out. Other feelings? Trying to define the feeling of no point? Like you said- hard to put one's finger on emotion.

Mole

Permabanned
The feeling that there is no point. Though obviously it is coming out. Other feelings? Trying to define the feeling of no point? Like you said- hard to put one's finger on emotion.

It is hard to put your finger on an emotion. It is hard to touch an emotion. It is hard to come to grips with an emotion.

On the other hand, we are now using a tactile sense to reach for the emotion.

So perhaps we could describe your emotion in tactile terms - what does it feel like to touch?

But be careful as you touch it, for it is sensitive and very easily hurt. So be gentle with your emotion. Stoke it, caress it, hold it gently and warmly. Let it speak to you. All you need to do is listen.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
You're supposed to make your own point. Or just be okay with there being no point.

xisnotx

Permabanned
I'm still trying to figure out what a valid point is...how am I supposed to figure out what the point is, or even what my point is, when I can't seem to figure out what a point is?

In my estimation, very few points seem to have been discovered...and those who have discovered these points don't seem to be talking. (Hmm...is that part of the point?)

If, and/or when, I ever discover the point I'll be very surprised if I told anyone...I guess that might another part of the point.

So, there you go, two sub points to start you off on your journey back to Pointville. I graciously accept your applause (and donations if you are offering.)

KDude

There is no point imo. Other than to have peace with the idea of having no point.

The quest for "meaning" is almost the ultimate in entitlement. Why should I have some grasp of definitive meaning, when the human race as whole never has? Be thankful that you're just alive. Be thankful that you're not in some tribe that hasn't evolved in 40,000 years, and uses all of it's time scraping the bark off of trees, eating, sleeping, and repeating the process. Be thankful that you didn't have your face mauled by a killer chimp. That you weren't born a stillborn. Or with a terrible disability. All of these people deserve to ask the question of "meaning" more than anyone, but usually they don't. So why should I?

Hopefully this doesn't sound like platitudes - because I tell myself this as much as anyone else. It's the only way to remain sane... for me at least. The minute I start desiring too much that isn't here, well... that's the road to ruin.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
I was once asked by a member if I ever got depressed, because I always seem so happy. No, I'm not, and right now is one of those moments.

What's the point of it all? Life? Relationships? Before I go into some depressing, cynical rant, I want to hear other perspectives.

emoadvices.png