User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    You're right.

Why did those other cultures choose to pursue learning and/or honour instead of happiness?
    Fulfillment seems more the ultimate goal, be it transient emotional states such as happiness, how one is looked upon heroically, or what wisdom they accumulate.
    And I suppose pain and suffering are dimensions of any of these. Understanding, salvation, growth.

I've learned so far that, there is no universal 'supposed to.' All I know is that I am alive. And for how long, I can't be certain. I accept what I don't understand about this life, and hope answers can emerge in the future, hope that I develop the ability to recognize them if they do exist at all, but, more importantly, I try to learn from painful experiences, to give them meaning, to give myself the power to reconcile them, and move forward. Otherwise, I'd be spinning my wheels in place, digging a trench, rationalizing the intangible into oblivion, and eventually feeling nihilistic, perhaps hopeless. And all the while, until I snap out of it, all I've done is waste time. I can't be certain of much, but I am aware that precious time is limited. And that time belongs to me.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

I think about this sometimes, the more I find the atheistic and existentialist perspectives some what wanting in comparison with generations and generations of spiritual and imaginative perspective (Jung is the last in a long line of people to take that seriously).

I would say that there are two things which are important to me, after a lot of disillusionment and disappointment with different ideas or ideologies, its important to be the change that you would like to see in the world and it is important to prepare to meet your maker. Those, to me at the point in my life I'm at, seem like the two greatest tasks in life. That's mainly personal, although it links up with public or political or social scale issues too.

Its understandable that anyone would want to contribute to the world being a better place for their children than the one they have known and inherited, there are others who want to deliberately obstruct that goal and still others who dont know they are obstructing it, and it doesnt necessarily mean you're in favour of innovation or supposedly original and new development as that same betterment, sometimes those things impeed it. I also think its understandable that people dont want the world their children grow up in to be unrecognisably different from that which they themselves grew up in. The norms and expectations and values which permitted one generation to be happy I dont necessarily think future generations should be deprived of.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Even happiness is fleeting. And notice, while we are pursuing happiness, we are unhappy. So the very pursuit of happiness causes unhappiness.
    "There is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way."

I don't see a point.

Some people are just lucky and some ain't. It's life. It's all based on timing and luck. Some people are bullied, some people are really popular. Some people just can't make friends while others get friends so easily etc. etc. etc.

MBTI
    ENTP

the point is to make dollars and get hos lol ur all dum
    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I'm starting to see you and your avatar as a cloud of odor that eminates from trashy threads.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    I was once asked by a member if I ever got depressed, because I always seem so happy. No, I'm not, and right now is one of those moments.

What's the point of it all? Life? Relationships? Before I go into some depressing, cynical rant, I want to hear other perspectives.
    Here are a couple of quotes to consider:

"I don't believe people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive."
    -Joseph Campbell

"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    -Howard Thurman
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Whether or not there is a "point" depends I suppose of whatever religious opinions you have and whatever value you assign to being alive. If you feel that your life has no value then you may wish to consult different philosophies and/or religions.

Ultimately I don't think there is anything I or anyone can say that will give you some sort of meaning. Ultimately it comes down to you and god/reality/the universe/whatever.

Do consider this: all the time you spending why you should be living...is time you could spend actually living
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    Whether or not there is a "point" depends I suppose of whatever religious opinions you have and whatever value you assign to being alive. If you feel that your life has no value then you may wish to consult different philosophies and/or religions.

Ultimately I don't think there is anything I or anyone can say that will give you some sort of meaning. Ultimately it comes down to you and god/reality/the universe/whatever.

Do consider this: all the time you spending why you should be living...is time you could spend actually living
    The unexamined life isnt worth living better to be Socrates unsatisfied than the satisfied pig.

I've seen so many lives ruined by directionless hedonism and reflection fails.

Cool The Point is Poetry

I am told poets creates religion, prophets abuse religion and priests do it to death. So I can only conclude that the point is poetry.

And interestingly, Wikileaks, Oz Branch, has reached the same conclusion is now hacking poetry and releasing it one poem at a time in the Arts and Entertainment forum, Wikileaks and Poetry thread.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

the point? you only have one life, as far as we know, so you might as well see as much of what life has to offer in that time period... the fact that some day I'll die and there'll STILL be tons of things that I don't know, have never see, tasted, heard, felt or smelled, places I haven't been, things I haven't tasted... that always saddens me a bit. From time to time, I'll admit that I occasionally believe that the world would be a happier place if I ceased to blight it with my presence and that in the grand scheme of things I'm nothing but a blip if even that, but then I remember that there's still plenty of things worth being interested in even if I'm not one of them... curiosity wins in the end
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett