User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Be thankful that you're not in some tribe that hasn't evolved in 40,000 years, and uses all of it's time scraping the bark off of trees, eating, sleeping, and repeating the process.
    Hunter gatherer societies typically needed something like 4 hours (according to the history channel) to do what they needed to...and assuming they slept 8 hours...thats 12 hours of free time a day doing whatever. Times 7=84 hours of free time per week.

If you work eight hours a day*5+8 hours of sleep*7+2-3 hours of daily chores*7=40+56+14= 110. 7*24= 168. 168-110= 58 hours of free time a week.

So, yeah, who exactly is spending their time doing useless work?

MBTI
    ESFJ

What's the point?

Sometimes to jump high you need to dip first to generate the momentum.

“I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    Hunter gatherer societies typically needed something like 4 hours (according to the history channel) to do what they needed to...and assuming they slept 8 hours...thats 12 hours of free time a day doing whatever. Times 7=84 hours of free time per week.

If you work eight hours a day*5+8 hours of sleep*7+2-3 hours of daily chores*7=40+56+14= 110. 7*24= 168. 168-110= 58 hours of free time a week.

So, yeah, who exactly is spending their time doing useless work?
    Some societies weren't even hunter gatherers. Like I said about scraping the bark off of trees, I'm not kidding! There's one tribe in Africa that really only has one crop available to them. They spend their days cultivating it - and unlike other societies that had crops that could be stored for later use, this crop spoils quickly. So these people are in constant toil and eating mode. They have to eat this stuff quickly, sleep, and resume work. They have no time to kick back and think of much else. All of their energy is placed in working one crop. And all that energy comes from one crop. And they haven't evolved as fast other humans, in different locales with different resources.

edit: That all said, from what I've seen (which is extremely limited), they seemed content.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

The point is there aint no point.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

The Calculus of Distinctions

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    The point is there aint no point.
    We are hard wired to find the shortest distance between two points.

We can see this physically in 'animal tracks', for no matther how well a site is designed, we find little worn pathways over the lawns as the shortest distance between two points.

Also we are hard wired to find the shortest distance between us and food, us and love, us and creativity, us and sex, us and money, us and status, us and fame.

All we need to do it to find the two points and our neurons will do the rest.

And the two points are a distinction. We distinguish between one point and another then move between them and back. We follow the calculus of distinctions.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Good news for you:
    You get to design the point. How amazing is that? (don't answer)
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Also we are hard wired to find the shortest distance between us and food, us and love, us and creativity, us and sex, us and money, us and status, us and fame.

All we need to do it to find the two points and our neurons will do the rest.
    I feel like I'm listening to someone tell an inappropriate story when I'm up past my bedtime. Were you talking to me??
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't believe there is any predetermined point in life. Although, you have the possibility to give your life your own point (like most people in this thread is saying).

Still, the sugestion of mourning your loss of a point seems a good point. Why not mourning? The lost of a point is a loss of an idea, it's a loss of something that was important for you. Even if you can't touch it.

I've mourned for a lost idea and I felt better after a time. And took a lesson from the experience. Well, a TV show helped me with that, but that's another story. Maybe you could give yourself some time? Why not being nice to yourself and letting you just feel for a while, when you think about your point or lack of it?

But anyway,

My point is trying to be a good person, learn a lot and maybe help other people with what I learnt. Something like that. I've had some people telling me I always seem fine and happy too, but sometimes I do feel sad. Some weeks ago I felt kinda empty thinking about the point of friendship. I still don't have a satisfactory answer, but I'm ok with that for now.

I'm curious about you depressing, cynical rant. :P

MBTI
    ISTx

The point? That's completely up to you.

On some level we all sense happiness is the point. It is only natural in life that we are drawn to the good, beautiful, and true and to find happiness in those things. I believe those three things are not just words that represent subjective value judgments, but inherent characteristics that exist in reality. God necessarily being the summum bonum, the highest good, it is therefore the highest level of happiness to enjoy God.

A person can pursue lesser goods, but I'm afraid that they will find such pursuit to be vanity. A quick assessment of the previous posts only affirms my belief that there is little difference between creating a purpose and there not being a purpose.

So I would suggest that the point is to enjoy the God who is there.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it