First 12

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by EvidenceOfRedemption View Post
    A couple guys at a poker table joked to each other that you wouldn't stand a chance at winning the game if you didn't know or calculate the probabilities involved with each hand. Many of the most successful players, however, do not rigorously consider mathematical probability but instead rely on the instinct they've developed which many times also consider a gut calculation of chances.

Likewise, I would think a Nascar driver to be much more likely to win a race against a mechanical engineer who knows the mathematics of the car he drives.

I find rote learning to be highly overrated. Typology would say this is just a reflection of my type (apparently we are skeptical of academic learning) but perhaps there is more to it than that.

Which style of learning and living do you think is more effective? Which works best for you, in practice? What is your philosophy of learning, or you could even say, your philosophy of philosophy?
    You do need to understand the odds to be good at poker. It helps to have that internal counter in your head that recognizes the cards that have been shown so you can guess what the other person has, etc. However in poker, it's really about being able to read people.

Rote learning is boring to me but I do it anyway because it is sometimes necessary. How I learn? Two ways - 1) gathering and lots of different types of information and distilling it into the essential points, which requires communicating it and 2) experience of doing things and seeing what works in practice and what doesn't

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

The Incompleteness Theorem and the Uncertainty Principle

Quote Originally Posted by EvidenceOfRedemption View Post
    Which style of learning and living do you think is more effective? Which works best for you, in practice? What is your philosophy of learning, or you could even say, your philosophy of philosophy?
    Applying mathematics to poker is called Applied Mathematics. Of far more interest is Pure Mathematics.

For instance, Kurt Friedrich Gödel has proven that all mathematics is incomplete and inconsistent. In the same way Quantum Mechanics has shown that the physical world is uncertain.

For milennia we believed that mathematics was complete and consistent and that the physical world was certain. But to our complete surprise we find the opposite is true. It's like discovering for the first time that the Earth goes round the Sun - who would have thought?

What does this mean? And why has philosophy failed to give us an explanation? And why has Theology ignored these salient facts?

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

my philosohpy of philosophy is that beneath all the subjectivity there is truth. And when you think you've found truth, you havn't gone deep enough. Truth/biases should always be tweaked with new analysed, confirmed, new truths.
    1+1=3 OMFG

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality.
    Nikola Tesla