User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Default Is there such a thing as true monotheism ?

Hi there,

See when I look at ancient polytheistic pantheons you generally have some creator deity or at least an origin story (maelstrom etc). The pantheon then evolves into more gods or the other way around, some spirits are connected to world events and then unified into a pantheon.
    Now what monotheism does is that it often fails at really unifying the world's happenings and structure under one 'grand being'.
    Take Christianity, with which I am familiar as I was raised in a Christian family. There is a god that is in fact 3 different beings, angels, archangels, demons, a Devil and representatives for different concepts just like in polytheistic society (love, patron saints ...)

It seems to me that religions have been following the path of unification in the same way science and most other things do. The rise of communication, travel, increasing knowledge about the universe, trade etc. stimulates the idea that the universe has a unique underlying logic but just as in science we are not quite there yet.

discuss!
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ESFJ

What?
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I consider myself a monotheist in that I see a single divine force in the universe. All those pantheons, and the trinity, are just so many manifestations of that single divine: the many ways it has revealed itself to us humans in various times, settings, and cultures. I am sure many believers saw them as independent beings. Human accounts ascribe to these pantheons all the passions, deceptions, petty jealousies, and compassion we humans manifest. A great example of man making God in his own image. Ultimately it is a matter of belief. If we are coming now to recognize the common thread, or divine spark, in all these manifestations, perhaps it is because as a species we are collectively growing up. We are finally realizing we are all touching the same elephant.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Yes.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Judaism has a heck of a lot invested philosophy-wise in the whole one god concept. There's no trinity, no Zororastrian devil, angels are not independent/individual beings.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

No. because there is no godhead.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Judaism has a heck of a lot invested philosophy-wise in the whole one god concept. There's no trinity, no Zororastrian devil, angels are not independent/individual beings.
    What about the Shekinah?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I consider myself a monotheist in that I see a single divine force in the universe. All those pantheons, and the trinity, are just so many manifestations of that single divine: the many ways it has revealed itself to us humans in various times, settings, and cultures. I am sure many believers saw them as independent beings. Human accounts ascribe to these pantheons all the passions, deceptions, petty jealousies, and compassion we humans manifest. A great example of man making God in his own image. Ultimately it is a matter of belief. If we are coming now to recognize the common thread, or divine spark, in all these manifestations, perhaps it is because as a species we are collectively growing up. We are finally realizing we are all touching the same elephant.

Yeah but if it's all one aspect of the same thing then Satan is God. Isn't that disagreeing with Christian dogma where the new testament god is supposed to be well meaning and loving and all that. I mean I do not say that you guys are Christian but in the context of Christianity don't you find it problematic?
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Yeah but if it's all one aspect of the same thing then Satan is God. Isn't that disagreeing with Christian dogma where the new testament god is supposed to be well meaning and loving and all that. I mean I do not say that you guys are Christian but in the context of Christianity don't you find it problematic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    What about the Shekinah?
    Yeah, I suppose you can say that Judaism does have something seeming like a pantheon of Angels and Demons, and aspects of God. And, really, Judaism did start out as religion with a pantheon, but they made a conscious choice to be Monotheistic. There is a tradition of many many Rabbis, philosphers of their times, discussing this very topic.

Anyway, I'm not Jewish, I just find the subject highly interesting.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Even in the Christian myths, Satan was originally an angel who fell from grace, so in a sense it is all part of the same entity. I do not believe in Satan as such, though, and do not worry about consistency with Christian dogma, since I am not Christian. These types of inconsistencies are part of why I cannot embrace a Christian spiritual view.