User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Default When it comes to spirit?

The more attached to religion and spirituality one is the greater or less ones ego?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

define ego.

Epiphany

You edited your thread and title.

Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    The more attached to religion and spirituality one is the greater or less ones ego?
    I think it really depends on the individual. Sometimes, a person may have a big ego because they think they are really spiritual and try to teach others how to be enlightened, but most people aren't quite as delusional as these self-proclaimed gurus.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    define ego.
    Ego, I thought I once knew how to define it.
    Then my friend said it was as big as the ocean.
    I visit her and now I hear peoples ego everywhere.

Who can say, ego is everything that we are afraid of yet nothing we are aware of.

Dunno if I can define ego.

Ego takes energy to maintain, the more ego there is the more energy it takes for the mind to support ones ego.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    You edited your thread and title.

Discuss.
    Yes I did.

I felt it was too strong and went for the softer approach.

I think it really depends on the individual. Sometimes, a person may have a big ego because they think they are really spiritual and try to teach others how to be enlightened, but most people aren't quite as delusional as these self-proclaimed gurus.
    Aren't they, maybe.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

how dare you put spirituality and religion in one box.

The more someone identifies with anything, the more they're ego will inflate. Because they identify with it. I don't identify with anyhting because i am constantly innovating my views on life. It's called evolving. People with large egos are stuck to one perspective on life (in this case, religion, not spirituality) and stick to one identiy that makes them comfterable, they are feeble humans afraid of change. I am spiritual, i do not identify with being spiritual, because there is nothing to identify in, I am what i am, and at the core we are all the same. I think that is a good measure of how small my ego is, not how big.
    1+1=3 OMFG

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Ego, I thought I once knew how to define it.
    Then my friend said it was as big as the ocean.
    I visit her and now I hear peoples ego everywhere.

Who can say, ego is everything that we are afraid of yet nothing we are aware of.

Dunno if I can define ego.

Ego takes energy to maintain, the more ego there is the more energy it takes for the mind to support ones ego.
    I think good definition would be; 'structure within the consciousness, with the following functions: reality checking, keeping the stability of personality and identity, cognition and executive functioning'.

Anyways i think whether you being religious or spiritual doesent have any sort of fixed effect on the ego, but what parts of the ego it effects depends on your beliefs. For example reality checking might be lowered with some extreme christian, but also strenghten the stability of identity. Buddhist on the other hand would most likely have hightened executive functioning and cognition due to meditation etc.

But one thing people should realize about the whole ego thing. For example this stability of identity or personality, in order to strenghten it, you can go with opposite ways, either close your mind from alternatives and accept you being certain way(which would happen in christianity) or go against it and seek for wholeness, by destroying ego by trying to see your unconscious self, thus paradoxically strenghten the stability of identity(which would happen in buddhism).

But naturally all of this would depend on the person.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Quote Originally Posted by Munchies View Post
    The more someone identifies with anything, the more they're ego will inflate.
    Because they identify with it.

I don't identify with anyhting because i am constantly innovating my views on life. It's called evolving. People with large egos are stuck to one perspective on life (in this case, religion, not spirituality) and stick to one identiy that makes them comfterable, they are feeble humans afraid of change. I am spiritual, i do not identify with being spiritual, because there is nothing to identify in, I am what i am, and at the core we are all the same. I think that is a good measure of how small my ego is, not how big.

Calling people 'feeble humans' ruined the sales pitch for your 'small' ego.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Others have asked for a definition of ego, I'd ask for one of attachment.

Ken Wilber wrote about the difference between "translative" and "transformative" spiritual practices. Basically the purpose of translative practices is "to console and comfort the ego, while possibly making the individual stronger. The purpose of transformative practice is to make the ego go poof. Very few people are interested in, or even capable of, transformative spiritual practice."

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Calling people 'feeble humans' ruined the sales pitch for your 'small' ego.
    you clearly have a different idea of ego then what i do
    1+1=3 OMFG