User Tag List

123 Last

Post Fear vs free will

Does fear take away our free will? Or does it inhibit it?

If not, what do we have to fear?
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

you just watched green lantern havn't you
    1+1=3 OMFG

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by yenom View Post

I think it does. our lives follow a sort of default, predetermined path, but if we are strong and willing to put in the work, we can decide our own fate. this is what it means to truly be alive
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

no such thing as free will
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by yakimadude View Post
    no such thing as free will
    You've got a lot to learn about life, kid.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by yenom View Post

Erich Fromm wrote an entire book on this topic, humans are social animals and dread isolation, they WILL and DO forfeit their freedom to avoid isolation. Often those who pride themselves on being the most freedom loving least conformist are the opposite.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinism
    Anyone looked into this? It's quite interesting. Although Lewis Carroll did provide a very good argument against it ( that it is by definition unprovable)

Basically it's the idea that every thought is a product of our neurological chemistry, our environment and conditioning. A thought is just a product of the brain- we had no choice in making them.

Maybe if there's no free will in the first place, then fear makes it appear to us that we have less 'free will' by stunting our decision making processes (in prefrontal cortex?) and our conscious thought. But really it is just an illusion, as our 'rational', un-fearful thoughts were never an aspect of free will either. Who knows!

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by dadapolka View Post
    Anyone looked into this? It's quite interesting. Although Lewis Carroll did provide a very good argument against it ( that it is by definition unprovable)

Basically it's the idea that every thought is a product of our neurological chemistry, our environment and conditioning. A thought is just a product of the brain- we had no choice in making them.

Maybe if there's no free will in the first place, then fear makes it appear to us that we have less 'free will' by stunting our decision making processes (in prefrontal cortex?) and our conscious thought. But really it is just an illusion, as our 'rational', un-fearful thoughts were never an aspect of free will either. Who knows!
    I'm actually reading a book like that, Incognito. It's like all our thoughts start in the back of the mind long before we realize that we're thinking them or say things long after the process of saying it started. Really interesting if this is true considering some super fast reaction times in emergency situations and stuff. The annoying thing is everything you do and say for a few minutes after thinking about that is strange. Like, "I'm not going to say this because free will determined so, but wait, did free will determine that I wouldn't say it because I don't have free will? Wait!!! Is this entire mind conversation predestined too? (Says the thing I was going to say to begin with and tries to forget about it.)

Regarding OP. Yeah, I imagine that fear runs through the thicker neurons for survival. So it would be very hard to break out of whatever thought patterns and connections that are a result of the fear.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by dadapolka View Post

Kant addressed this question from all angles without the evidence and concluded that while we're likely to be automatons it was a categorical imperative to believe in free will and act as though self-determinism existed. Perhaps in order to make it a reality one day. I know a lot of enlightenment philosophy worked out like that.

Anyway, I do believe in soft determinism, or partial determinist, all those things are significant and influence things but they are not completely deterministic. To use a social constructionist analogy if you build a house our of concrete it will still be concrete, and a house presumably, but you can decide what shape to make it, how many rooms etc.

I would also say that some people are more subjects of their brain chemistry, environment, conditioning than others, either those things have had such an impact as to void or seriously impinge upon their individual sovereignty, like sociopaths or psychopaths or someone with a brain injury, or they simply havent ever developed many of their critical or analytical faculties at all.

To be honest the hard determinism, humans are automatons or pin balls, argument is not that different from the extremes of constructionism which suppose that no self or individual identity exists outside or besides what are constructed as stories by others or between others about an individual. If you take anything too far it seems to become absurd.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Does the taste of chocolate take away free will or just inhibit it?
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.