User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 20

  1. #1
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,748

    Default Concept of a soul

    I have cared for many people who died, and many caregivers and family members, (more than just a few) have the tendency to open a window when someone dies. While I don't think it's a terrible idea, (just freshen up the room a bit) they always go on to say that the soul went through the window, (which is always open just a crack.) During one death I mentioned that I had a warm and happy feeling a few minutes after his death and about three people insisted that this man's soul gave me a hug before proceeding out the cracked open window. This implies that the soul has physical properties that allows it to fit through cracks and screens but not to slide under doors or simply float up through the ceiling. It also implies that the soul knows exactly where to go and what to do immediately following the passing of the body, and not only that, it needs to definitely go outside. Surely it wouldn't want to spend time with it's grieving family! This topic, and anything else having to do with a soul. What it is, where it goes, etc.

    (Edit: Topic not really intended for people to debate the existence of souls or afterlife, we have plenty of room for that in other threads- let's just say, given someone has a soul of some kind, what do you think that means?)

    (Anyone ever seen the movie soul takers?? I saw the MST version and it was hilarious!!)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  2. #2
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    The concept of a soul scares me. How can anyone be sure that they have one? I mean, even if you believe in them, how can you be sure that yours is intact? Does every human have one?

    If you know someone has a soul, and you can tell "for sure" does that mean you do have one? Or you don't? If souls exists, and solemates exists, can two solemates ever be one, given that they are in two different bodies?

    Or, when you meet a (your) solemate (or when your sole meets a sole it wants to "evaluate") do they leave their respective bodies and intermingle in the in spiritual world? If so, what are the two now sole-less bodies (and the sole less people who occupy them) to do?

    If two soles leave each others bodies, do you think that they ever decide to exchange bodies? If so, does that mean that by whichever means you recognize your soles existence, you could actually be recognizing another person's sole?

    What's to stop one person from stealing your sole? Can two soles be in one body?

    Like I said, scary stuff.

    I prefer to just think that these questions weren't meant to be answered. Maybe one day I'll meet a person who'll prove me wrong/right lol

  3. #3
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    The concept of a soul scares me. How can anyone be sure that they have one? I mean, even if you believe in them, how can you be sure that yours is intact? Does every human have one?

    If you know someone has a soul, and you can tell "for sure" does that mean you do have one? Or you don't? If souls exists, and solemates exists, can two solemates ever be one, given that they are in two different bodies?

    Or, when you meet a (your) solemate (or when your sole meets a sole it wants to "evaluate") do they leave their respective bodies and intermingle in the in spiritual world? If so, what are the two now sole-less bodies (and the sole less people who occupy them) to do?

    If two soles leave each others bodies, do you think that they ever decide to exchange bodies? If so, does that mean that by whichever means you recognize your soles existence, you could actually be recognizing another person's sole?

    What's to stop one person from stealing your sole? Can two soles be in one body?

    Like I said, scary stuff.

    I prefer to just think that these questions weren't meant to be answered. Maybe one day I'll meet a person who'll prove me wrong/right lol
    Scary stuff?

    I've never seen so many sissy limitations to out of the box thinking of the 'unknown' as I have the past two weeks on this forum. The irony is how many of you think this means you are somehow more open, flexible, sane, and intelligent than the rest of us who study, analyze, and embrace possibilities of the unknown with fearless vigor.

  4. #4
    Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    To me, it's consciousness: something intangible that exists within the tangible that creates the flow of experience, sense of self and perceptual awareness. Consequently, I see the soul as mortal, as it dies along with the body.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

    I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

    - Emily Bronte

  5. #5
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Scary stuff?

    I've never seen so many sissy limitations to out of the box thinking of the 'unknown' as I have the past two weeks on this forum. The irony is how many of you think this means you are somehow more open, flexible, sane, and intelligent than the rest of us who study, analyze, and embrace possibilities of the unknown with fearless vigor.
    Perhaps your lack of fear has more to do with your own limitations instead of limitations to my relatively "in the box" thinking?

  6. #6
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    Perhaps your lack of fear has more to do with your own limitations instead of limitations to my relatively "in the box" thinking?
    No. No, there's not much I'm afraid of other than commitment. Or being trapped. In a boring box.

  7. #7
    Senior Member EvidenceOfRedemption's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    131

    Default

    the soul is not an ethereal wisp. it's your very consciousness. it is you. and your conscience is eternal, you are aware now and will always be aware, even more so after death.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Saslou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    4,915

    Default

    My mother used to work in a mental hospital and elderly peoples home so was used to death. I loved listening with fascination about how she'd feel a breeze as she walked into their rooms to wake them only to find out they'd passed away in the night. This breeze kind of gave her relief knowing that it isn't the end when the body dies.

    I think there is more to us what what meets the eye, science just has to catch up and figure it out.

    When i leave my body, i don't want to hang around, i'll going to start a new adventure. I may come back occasionally and scare a few people though oh and also comes into peoples dreams, if i'm capable of it.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

  9. #9
    Senior Member FunnyDigestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    1,137

    Default

    I think souls float thru the windows at night because they can move thru glass.

    I tossed a bucket of pink fairy dust in the air & someone's soul moved in it, letting me trap it. I looked it right in the eyes, it was the shape of a Tetris block. I think souls can move in wormholes from one side of the universe to the other. They also can breathe underwater & talk to the spirits of trees.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

  10. #10
    Senior Member Qre:us's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    This implies that the soul has physical properties that allows it to fit through cracks and screens but not to slide under doors or simply float up through the ceiling.
    But, if it has physical properties, it means that it is subjected to the laws of the material universe. Which raises many questions about its "metaphysical existence".

    (Edit: Topic not really intended for people to debate the existence of souls or afterlife, we have plenty of room for that in other threads- let's just say, given someone has a soul of some kind, what do you think that means?)
    It means that the arrogance of the human race, that we are too special to just simply *stop existing*, and our attachment to our relationships, makes us resistant to the point of willful ignorance such that we believe that death cannot, possibly, just end the existence of the person. We are not satisfied with them living in our memories. We need to believe there is something more....always something more.

    They could die physically, but they've truly not died.

    It is our game we play with ourselves to think that we've cheated death. Somehow.

Similar Threads

  1. Concept of Time
    By gromit in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-15-2012, 08:34 PM
  2. Critique the concept of "Cognitive Functions"
    By Quinlan in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-13-2010, 04:27 PM
  3. How rich is our conception of personality typing?
    By ygolo in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-11-2009, 06:20 PM
  4. Disliking the concept of "fun"
    By Xander in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 11-28-2008, 12:26 AM
  5. popular conception of great art?
    By GorillaGorilla in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-03-2008, 06:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO