• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does Religion Encourage an Intuitive Mindset?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm curious if a religious upbringing encourages a more intuitive perspective of life, rather than sensing.

My experience in Western Christianity is that it hasn't. (Maybe those from other cultures and traditions have a different experience.) And I've usually had beliefs put down/dismissed since they were too abstracted.

Religion is just filtered through one's current preferences, rather than the other way around.
I.e., we tend to understand/filter the divine based on who we already are.

A

A window to the soul

You have the whole internet to yourself. Perhaps you should start looking.

That's all I needed to know. You're talkin' out of your--> :hideyhole:

We've all heard the rumors around here, but would like to see you pull those "reliable studies" you so bragged about and present them for us.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
That's all I needed to know. You're talkin' out of your--> :hideyhole:

We've all heard the rumors around here, but would like to see you pull those "reliable studies" you so bragged about and present them for us.

I just love seeing people dig their own graves. It's cute.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
leeet me guess. You had some bad experience in your life. Suffered some kind of personal anomie, loss of control over your life. You needed stuff to make sense and clang to what was available at the time: the belief in an overarching and human friendly pattern in the universe in the lack of any evidence of the supernatural.
Now both your self esteem and ego, your whole perception of being an intelligent and meaningful adult and actor in your own life is entangled with the same religious beliefs that saved you from a further breakdown at that critical period of your life and you simply could NEVER accept anything that attacked this belief as it would destroy you.

Luckily for you the very nature of religion is that its main claim cannot be disproved even if the particulars can be shown to be at best unlikely.

As I said, adorable. *ruffles hair*

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not again. :fpalm:

Obsolete Old Testament Law that people try to follow because they misinterpret the Bible (or don't read it at all), and miss the part where it talks about how the blood of Jesus fulfilled the Law when he was crucified.
I would rather think the golden rule "do unto to others, as you would have done onto you" encompasses the ten commandents. It doesn't negate them. Check out Matthew 7: 9-12, and Luke 6: 27-31.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Well if you are REALLY asking for it. Here you go.

E9r9I.gif

Study by Alan S. Kaufman
"The Relationship of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) to IQ Level and the Fluid and Crystallized IQ Discrepancy on the Kaufman Adolescent and Adult Intelligence Test (KAIT) "

Abstract

To better understand the putative relationship between personality style and cognition, we assessed adolescents and adults on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)and the Kaufman Adolescent and Adult intelligence Test (KAIT). The MBTI provides scores on four indexes: Extraversion-Introversion, Sensing-Intuition, Thinking-Feeling, and Judging-Perceiving. The KAIT provides Fluid, Crystallized, and Composite Intelligence Quotients.

Participants consisted of 1,297 individuals, aged 14 to 94 years, who were tested throughout the United States during the nationwide standardization of the KAIT. It was hypothesized that individuals favoring Intuition and Thinking would be more intelligent and would favor fluid over crystallized intelligence relative to those favoring Sensing and Feeling, respectively. Several multiple analyses of variance and covariance (MANOVAs and MANCOVAs) were conducted with sex, race, KAIT IQ, and KAIT Fluid and Crystallized IQ discrepancy serving as independent variables and continuous scores on the MBTI used as dependent variables. Consistent with hypothesized relationships, people classified as Intuitive earned higher KAIT Composite IQs than those classified as Sensing.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another one
The high preference of gifted adolescents for intuition compared to general high school students in this study is consistent with what Myers and McCauley (1985b) wrote about the connection between the psychological type theory and academic aptitude. They stated that people showing high scores on introversion (I) and intuition (N) show greater academic aptitude than those who score high on extraversion (E) and sensing (S). While sensing types almost always fall below the mean in IQ, intuition types are mostly above the mean. Indeed, IN types with P or J usually have the top scores in the comparisons of students’ SAT, IQ, and Florida Eighth Grade Test in the manual of the MBTI. However, according to McCauley and Myers, this is not necessarily related to intelligence; rather, it is related to the match between the academic characteristics of IN types and the content of aptitude tests. When gifted adolescents are compared to general high school students according to their preference for intuition, they are more likely to enjoy solving new problems and dislike doing the same thing repeatedly. They also are conclusive, impatient, and interested in complicated situations. They might be more interested in novelty according to the type theory.
http://www.sengifted.org/archives/a...-on-psychological-types-of-gifted-adolescents
the pdf can be found here : http://www.printfriendly.com/print/...on-psychological-types-of-gifted-adolescents#

and maany more, including a study by myers. Yes the one from that thing they call the MBTI.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
The few reliable studies available seem to positively correlate IQ to N traits. Religiousness is negatively correlated to IQ. While correlation is not causation it doesn't seem to point out to any strong link between intuitiveness and religiousness. Religious leaders can be Ns, but the following of their precepts doesn't require or encourage abstract thought as the allegories religion is based on tend to show a lack of coherence. I would expect that someone used to think in terms of abstraction would be more likely to be bothered by this and find it more difficult to end up an active religious follower.

Actually N has been found to correlate with religious beliefs.

I wonder how much of this correlation between religious beliefs and low iq is actually religion induced low iq. I mean i would wonder if someone wouldnt be able to get to his full potential when it comes to iq if everything(or at least those things that would reguire some mental gymnastics to get) happening in the world is explained with "god did it".

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I'd bet that being an iNtuitive type correlates with particular kinds of religious beliefs, e.g. deism.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That graph shows that "S" types have higher Iq than "N" types.

No, but what it does show is that intuitives are killed off dramatically starting at age 20, after they leave the protective cocoon of their parental home.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
That graph shows that "S" types have higher Iq than "N" types.

Look at the scores more carefully, there is nearly 3 times S types than N types, still even tho N types were clearly outnumbered by S types there is only 1% difference on how many people from each group scored 110 or more. In other words about 2/3 of S types failed to get over 110 iq and over half of N types have 110 or higher iq.

A

A window to the soul

leeet me guess. You had some bad experience in your life. Suffered some kind of personal anomie, loss of control over your life. You needed stuff to make sense and clang to what was available at the time: the belief in an overarching and human friendly pattern in the universe in the lack of any evidence of the supernatural.
Now both your self-esteem and ego, your whole perception of being an intelligent and meaningful adult and actor in your own life is entangled with the same religious beliefs that saved you from a further breakdown at that critical period of your life and you simply could NEVER accept anything that attacked this belief as it would destroy you.

Luckily for you the very nature of religion is that its main claim cannot be disproved even if the particulars can be shown to be at best unlikely.

As I said, adorable. *ruffles hair*

Mercy, no. That's soap opera stuff. I've had a blessed life. It's much, much simpler. I just knocked and the door opened. The details are supernatural in nature, and realized.

I would rather think the golden rule "do unto to others, as you would have done onto you" encompasses the Ten Commandments. It doesn't negate them. Check out Matthew 7: 9-12, and Luke 6: 27-31.
Pretty smart! :D

None of those scriptures are law. To understand them, one must understand the difference between achieving vs. receiving.

God wants us to receive the gift of righteousness, instead of achieving righteousness. In other words, God does *not* want us to earn his favor through achievments. He wants us to receive what Jesus did for us on the Cross by receiving his abundant grace (all sins forgiven, forevermore), and the gift of righteousness. The Bible is very clear about that, but people still get it backwards.

Now, if we look at the scriptures you mentioned from the correct perspective of having received grace and the gift of righteousness, the actions of the believer are supernatural manifestations of God's love working through the believer (fruit of the spirit).

When one takes the opposite approach and sets out to achieve righteousness to earn God's favor (by following law), they are doing the opposite of what God wants because they are not trusting, believing, having faith that what Jesus did on the cross is enough. They are not receiving God's grace or the gift of righteous in this scenario due to their lack of faith.

Well if you are REALLY asking for it. Here you go.

E9r9I.gif

Study by Alan S. Kaufman
"The Relationship of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) to IQ Level and the Fluid and Crystallized IQ Discrepancy on the Kaufman Adolescent and Adult Intelligence Test (KAIT) "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another one

http://www.sengifted.org/archives/a...-on-psychological-types-of-gifted-adolescents
the pdf can be found here : http://www.printfriendly.com/print/...on-psychological-types-of-gifted-adolescents#

and many more, including a study by myers. Yes the one from that thing they call the MBTI.
Thank you for posting the chart. I may have some analysis to add later. I must brainstorm first.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Religion is just filtered through one's current preferences, rather than the other way around.
I.e., we tend to understand/filter the divine based on who we already are.

:yes:

No, but what it does show is that intuitives are killed off dramatically starting at age 20, after they leave the protective cocoon of their parental home.

:rofl1:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Look at the scores more carefully, there is nearly 3 times S types than N types, still even tho N types were clearly outnumbered by S types there is only 1% difference on how many people from each group scored 110 or more. In other words about 2/3 of S types failed to get over 110 iq and over half of N types have 110 or higher iq.

Sort of. The participants were 1/3 N and 2/3 S (twice as many S than N). 1/2 of the Ns and 1/3 of the Ss had higher than average IQ. A little more than 1/2 of the Ss and a little less than 1/2 of the Ns had average IQ. Something like 1/5 of the S and 1/10 of the Ns had below average IQ. Of course it's not actually an average IQ level (at least for the participants), since there are twice as many people above average than below.

So not as dramatic a difference as you seem to be implying. If you randomly sample a population with IQ>110, you're equally likely to find an N or an S.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Depending on the content of the Iq tests they are also favored towards intuitive style thinking.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Depending on the content of the Iq tests they are also favored towards intuitive style thinking.

Sure, and athletic competition favor athletes. Any other empty statement to add?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
most of my experiences with religion living in the rural midwest were more likely to consider rote memorization and taking the words of the church elders and pastor as the gospel truth and discouraging free thinking because that could encourage something horrible... like atheism, agnosticism or QUESTIONS *gasp* :horor:

I wouldn't say that it's as much of a type thing as a culture thing really though... that's the church culture there and there are some exceptions, of course, but it's a cultural thing... a rural cultural thing :shrug:

I'm not particularly religious, though I do love the fact that the entire universe is interconnected in different ways and the ripple effects that small actions can have... the laws of science, both social and hard are fascinating, though not as fascinating as the pure unpredictability of living things... I can say that I believe in chaos and interconnections even if I don't tend to follow any traditional religion... it's quite exhilaration to watch things unfold :holy:

I don't fit in in churches, being preached at makes me feel dead inside, just watching things unfold is good enough for me to believe in SOMETHING, just not in the whole god/jesus/prescribed shit manner... I'm encouraged to believe in something in order to keep a grip, but my choice tends to somehow make others think I'm hell bound :whistling:

and I tend to type myself as an S if that has any impact on the theory from the OP :newwink:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sort of. The participants were 1/3 N and 2/3 S (twice as many S than N). 1/2 of the Ns and 1/3 of the Ss had higher than average IQ. A little more than 1/2 of the Ss and a little less than 1/2 of the Ns had average IQ. Something like 1/5 of the S and 1/10 of the Ns had below average IQ. Of course it's not actually an average IQ level (at least for the participants), since there are twice as many people above average than below.

So not as dramatic a difference as you seem to be implying. If you randomly sample a population with IQ>110, you're equally likely to find an N or an S.

Thar 90-109 tier is both under and above average iq..

Also its irrelevant wether you have same chances of getting over 110 iq from random sample if you compare S vs N iq, because there are more S types around.. you need to have same amount of S and N people in the group where random samples are taken for you to be able to compare S vs N iq statistically from that study.

But i do think that there is one thing wrong with the test that can make more S types to the retard category. First of all i think some of those older S people are actually N types and like everyone propably knows, iq tests has gotten harder and bla bla bla