User Tag List

First 78910 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Rasofy thinks religions encourage a closed and comformist mindset, which has nothing to do with intuition. If anything, that's Si.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    But it's also just a fact: intelligence is correlated with N.

Talking about that fact need not entail that one is doing it to make oneself feel superior.

And to make a claim like that does a disservice to being able to factually and openly talk about the truth.
    You must mean "truth" in the loose sense, right? Because there are serious problems with the self-report methodology and with the loaded wording on the tests themselves; namely, it seems likely that people who are more intelligent are testing as Ns because the questions that are meant to differentiate N vs S are actually just differentiating intelligent vs non-intelligent traits (such as the FFM Openness scale, which is the one that's supposedly correlated to iNtuition.)

I'll quote our resident statistics master (though he hasn't been around for a while) ptgatsby on this:

"Self-directed tests should never correlate that strongly against something that challenges the person... and the correlations across the board tend to be weaker than people think. In a way, the personality-> IQ correlation is akin to asking a person "Are you smart?" in a round about way."
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    You must mean "truth" in the loose sense, right?
    Yeah, I would say I was using it in a loose sense.

I think there are genius Ss and idiotic Ns.

I just think that N does tend to be correlated to intelligence.

I think you do have a worthwhile point about intelligent people possibly self-reporting as Ns because of the questions, though.

That would likely be true, and would likely skew the results to a reasonably significant degree.

This is gunna seem kinda asinine, but I'd figure that effect probably only accounts for about 1/3 (max 1/2) of the correlation, though.

Don't ask me to support that with any hard facts or data, though; I just estimate shit for a living, and I'm pretty good at it.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

There are some highly revered forms of cognitive skill that benefit from strongly concrete forms of intelligence. Some examples of careers of this type include surgeon, classical music performer -especially orchestral playing, engineering, and lab based science. Those all require high sensory awareness and the ability to reproduce externally with detailed precision. They require a complete command of concrete systems. These require a much difference cognitive skill set than a complexity scientist, theoretical physicist, philosopher, etc. who deals in abstract systems. People often assume that systems thinking is equivalent to iNtuition, but you have to be attuned to the concrete world in order to master a concrete system - you would typically have to have a Sensing preference.

When the assumption is that intelligence is correlated with iNtuition, then some forms of intelligence can be misunderstood.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Epiphany

This thread has veered a bit from the OP. I am mostly talking about people who are preoccupied with notions of eternity to the point where they're no longer concerned about earthly matters and everything they do in this world is assessed of its relevance to the big picture, depending on their brand of faith; whether it involves abstaining from certain foods, wearing particular articles of clothing, engaging in rituals, or avoiding "worldly vices." Even someone who is more inclined toward sensing, in terms of typology, would have to alter their mindset to focus on the grand scheme of their lifestyle choices, as opposed to living in the moment without thought of possible repercussions in eternity.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    This thread has veered a bit from the OP. I am mostly talking about people who are preoccupied with notions of eternity to the point where they're no longer concerned about earthly matters and everything they do in this world is analyzed of its relevance to the big picture, depending on their brand of faith; whether it involves abstaining from certain foods, wearing particular articles of clothing, engaging in rituals, or avoiding "worldly vices." Even someone who is more inclined toward sensing, in terms of typology, would have to alter their mindset to focus on the grand scheme of their lifestyle choices, as opposed to living in the moment without thought of possible repercussions in eternity.
    ah... so crazy people like the street preacher that I met at the bus stop at 38th and Meridian last year!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    ah... so crazy people like the street preacher that I met at the bus stop at 38th and Meridian last year!
    He's only crazy if what he's preaching isn't true.

*there is no spoon*

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

He's only crazy if what he's preaching isn't true.

*there is no spoon*
    he was trying to cure some guy's headache by laying his hands on him... it was very awkward so I was attempting to stand far away and not make direct eye contact
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    he was trying to cure some guy's headache by laying his hands on him... it was very awkward so I was attempting to stand far away and not make direct eye contact
    Well...did the headache go away?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Well...did the headache go away?
    nope... the guy was hungover and it was only 6pm

I suppose I shouldn't be shocked... it's not like I was in the fanciest place