• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does Religion Encourage an Intuitive Mindset?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Rasofy thinks religions encourage a closed and comformist mindset, which has nothing to do with intuition. If anything, that's Si.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
But it's also just a fact: intelligence is correlated with N.

Talking about that fact need not entail that one is doing it to make oneself feel superior.

And to make a claim like that does a disservice to being able to factually and openly talk about the truth.

You must mean "truth" in the loose sense, right? Because there are serious problems with the self-report methodology and with the loaded wording on the tests themselves; namely, it seems likely that people who are more intelligent are testing as Ns because the questions that are meant to differentiate N vs S are actually just differentiating intelligent vs non-intelligent traits (such as the FFM Openness scale, which is the one that's supposedly correlated to iNtuition.)

I'll quote our resident statistics master (though he hasn't been around for a while) ptgatsby on this:

"Self-directed tests should never correlate that strongly against something that challenges the person... and the correlations across the board tend to be weaker than people think. In a way, the personality-> IQ correlation is akin to asking a person "Are you smart?" in a round about way."

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
You must mean "truth" in the loose sense, right?

Yeah, I would say I was using it in a loose sense.

I think there are genius Ss and idiotic Ns.

I just think that N does tend to be correlated to intelligence.

I think you do have a worthwhile point about intelligent people possibly self-reporting as Ns because of the questions, though.

That would likely be true, and would likely skew the results to a reasonably significant degree.

This is gunna seem kinda asinine, but I'd figure that effect probably only accounts for about 1/3 (max 1/2) of the correlation, though.

Don't ask me to support that with any hard facts or data, though; I just estimate shit for a living, and I'm pretty good at it.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are some highly revered forms of cognitive skill that benefit from strongly concrete forms of intelligence. Some examples of careers of this type include surgeon, classical music performer -especially orchestral playing, engineering, and lab based science. Those all require high sensory awareness and the ability to reproduce externally with detailed precision. They require a complete command of concrete systems. These require a much difference cognitive skill set than a complexity scientist, theoretical physicist, philosopher, etc. who deals in abstract systems. People often assume that systems thinking is equivalent to iNtuition, but you have to be attuned to the concrete world in order to master a concrete system - you would typically have to have a Sensing preference.

When the assumption is that intelligence is correlated with iNtuition, then some forms of intelligence can be misunderstood.

E

Epiphany

This thread has veered a bit from the OP. I am mostly talking about people who are preoccupied with notions of eternity to the point where they're no longer concerned about earthly matters and everything they do in this world is assessed of its relevance to the big picture, depending on their brand of faith; whether it involves abstaining from certain foods, wearing particular articles of clothing, engaging in rituals, or avoiding "worldly vices." Even someone who is more inclined toward sensing, in terms of typology, would have to alter their mindset to focus on the grand scheme of their lifestyle choices, as opposed to living in the moment without thought of possible repercussions in eternity.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This thread has veered a bit from the OP. I am mostly talking about people who are preoccupied with notions of eternity to the point where they're no longer concerned about earthly matters and everything they do in this world is analyzed of its relevance to the big picture, depending on their brand of faith; whether it involves abstaining from certain foods, wearing particular articles of clothing, engaging in rituals, or avoiding "worldly vices." Even someone who is more inclined toward sensing, in terms of typology, would have to alter their mindset to focus on the grand scheme of their lifestyle choices, as opposed to living in the moment without thought of possible repercussions in eternity.

ah... so crazy people like the street preacher that I met at the bus stop at 38th and Meridian last year! :holy:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
He's only crazy if what he's preaching isn't true. :sage:

*there is no spoon*

he was trying to cure some guy's headache by laying his hands on him... it was very awkward so I was attempting to stand far away and not make direct eye contact :ninja:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I actually corrected that post a minute after posted it or so (and before your answer). We operate on very different assumptions. Though the fact that the guru looking guy says N is a fact about that person rather than a score result is just his point of view. What can be observed are score results, any other statement is very highly subjective. Therefore while my statement that 'test scores are test scores' can be easily demonstrated yours have no backing and you haven't proposed any way to verify that ascertion. That video doesn't 'explain' anything, I could make my own video stating that pinguins are fruits, even if I personally believed this is so I couldn't in good conscience state it as a fact without having data to back it up.

Its not just that guy saying those things, its a common knowledge about basics of MBTI.

Here the same info is explained in official MBTI site:
http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/my-mbti-results/
http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/my-mbti-results/why-you-may-decide-to-choose.asp
http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/my-mbti-results/your-mbti-best-fit-type.asp

These things are explained all over the proper MBTI sites, books and research papers. Before they always had a professional to help you choose your best fit type after taking the type indicator, bit nowadays its usually forgotten. This is also explained in the official MBTI manual.

Do i need to dig more sources for this or can you accept it coming from the official source?

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Its not just that guy saying those things, its a common knowledge about basics of MBTI.

Here the same info is explained in official MBTI site:
http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/my-mbti-results/
http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/my-mbti-results/why-you-may-decide-to-choose.asp
http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/my-mbti-results/your-mbti-best-fit-type.asp

These things are explained all over the proper MBTI sites, books and research papers. Before they always had a professional to help you choose your best fit type after taking the type indicator, bit nowadays its usually forgotten. This is also explained in the official MBTI manual.

Do i need to dig more sources for this or can you accept it coming from the official source?

If the official sources dont base their judgement on any kind of quantifiable or verifiable measurement its just their opinion. a 1000 baseless claims dont make a right.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I guess the belief in God and spirituality could be connected to an intuitive mindset, but for the majority of people, that are religious for tradition and not for a belief (this is my personal opinion, you can attack me if you want, but i think i'm right) then religion would be associated with SJ, rather than N(F).

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
If the official sources dont base their judgement on any kind of quantifiable or verifiable measurement its just their opinion. a 1000 baseless claims dont make a right.

I know it can be painful for the ego to rearrange basic building blocks of some large concept(especially after creating some tension by arguing strongly against the info that forces the basics to be modified), but what you are doing there is just ridiculous.

You are basically saying that you know better than the people who created the system because you based your knowledge about the system on alternative view(misunderstanding) of the system and it doesent seem to create conflict with reality in your mind(if you ignore some things).

Its funny that your view on the subject can be debunked by very simple facts that you failed to include in it. I have scored INTJ ISTJ and INTP on type indicators over time, but yet i have been the same personality type all the time.