User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Oh, you have stats. Where might those be? I didn't see a link.
    You have the whole internet to yourself. Perhaps you should start looking.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    I'm curious if a religious upbringing encourages a more intuitive perspective of life, rather than sensing.
    My experience in Western Christianity is that it hasn't. (Maybe those from other cultures and traditions have a different experience.) And I've usually had beliefs put down/dismissed since they were too abstracted.

Religion is just filtered through one's current preferences, rather than the other way around.
    I.e., we tend to understand/filter the divine based on who we already are.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    You have the whole internet to yourself. Perhaps you should start looking.
    That's all I needed to know. You're talkin' out of your-->

We've all heard the rumors around here, but would like to see you pull those "reliable studies" you so bragged about and present them for us.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

That's all I needed to know. You're talkin' out of your-->

We've all heard the rumors around here, but would like to see you pull those "reliable studies" you so bragged about and present them for us.
    I just love seeing people dig their own graves. It's cute.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

... In theory.

A window to the soul

I just love seeing people dig their own graves. It's cute.
    Bring it...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

leeet me guess. You had some bad experience in your life. Suffered some kind of personal anomie, loss of control over your life. You needed stuff to make sense and clang to what was available at the time: the belief in an overarching and human friendly pattern in the universe in the lack of any evidence of the supernatural.
    Now both your self esteem and ego, your whole perception of being an intelligent and meaningful adult and actor in your own life is entangled with the same religious beliefs that saved you from a further breakdown at that critical period of your life and you simply could NEVER accept anything that attacked this belief as it would destroy you.

Luckily for you the very nature of religion is that its main claim cannot be disproved even if the particulars can be shown to be at best unlikely.

As I said, adorable. *ruffles hair*

... In theory.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Not again.

Obsolete Old Testament Law that people try to follow because they misinterpret the Bible (or don't read it at all), and miss the part where it talks about how the blood of Jesus fulfilled the Law when he was crucified.
    I would rather think the golden rule "do unto to others, as you would have done onto you" encompasses the ten commandents. It doesn't negate them. Check out Matthew 7: 9-12, and Luke 6: 27-31.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Well if you are REALLY asking for it. Here you go.

Study by Alan S. Kaufman
    "The Relationship of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) to IQ Level and the Fluid and Crystallized IQ Discrepancy on the Kaufman Adolescent and Adult Intelligence Test (KAIT) "

Abstract

To better understand the putative relationship between personality style and cognition, we assessed adolescents and adults on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)and the Kaufman Adolescent and Adult intelligence Test (KAIT). The MBTI provides scores on four indexes: Extraversion-Introversion, Sensing-Intuition, Thinking-Feeling, and Judging-Perceiving. The KAIT provides Fluid, Crystallized, and Composite Intelligence Quotients.

Participants consisted of 1,297 individuals, aged 14 to 94 years, who were tested throughout the United States during the nationwide standardization of the KAIT. It was hypothesized that individuals favoring Intuition and Thinking would be more intelligent and would favor fluid over crystallized intelligence relative to those favoring Sensing and Feeling, respectively. Several multiple analyses of variance and covariance (MANOVAs and MANCOVAs) were conducted with sex, race, KAIT IQ, and KAIT Fluid and Crystallized IQ discrepancy serving as independent variables and continuous scores on the MBTI used as dependent variables. Consistent with hypothesized relationships, people classified as Intuitive earned higher KAIT Composite IQs than those classified as Sensing.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Another one
    The high preference of gifted adolescents for intuition compared to general high school students in this study is consistent with what Myers and McCauley (1985b) wrote about the connection between the psychological type theory and academic aptitude. They stated that people showing high scores on introversion (I) and intuition (N) show greater academic aptitude than those who score high on extraversion (E) and sensing (S). While sensing types almost always fall below the mean in IQ, intuition types are mostly above the mean. Indeed, IN types with P or J usually have the top scores in the comparisons of students’ SAT, IQ, and Florida Eighth Grade Test in the manual of the MBTI. However, according to McCauley and Myers, this is not necessarily related to intelligence; rather, it is related to the match between the academic characteristics of IN types and the content of aptitude tests. When gifted adolescents are compared to general high school students according to their preference for intuition, they are more likely to enjoy solving new problems and dislike doing the same thing repeatedly. They also are conclusive, impatient, and interested in complicated situations. They might be more interested in novelty according to the type theory.
    http://www.sengifted.org/archives/ar...ed-adolescents
    the pdf can be found here : http://www.printfriendly.com/print/v...d-adolescents#

and maany more, including a study by myers. Yes the one from that thing they call the MBTI.

... In theory.

Permabanned

That graph shows that "S" types have higher Iq than "N" types.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

The few reliable studies available seem to positively correlate IQ to N traits. Religiousness is negatively correlated to IQ. While correlation is not causation it doesn't seem to point out to any strong link between intuitiveness and religiousness. Religious leaders can be Ns, but the following of their precepts doesn't require or encourage abstract thought as the allegories religion is based on tend to show a lack of coherence. I would expect that someone used to think in terms of abstraction would be more likely to be bothered by this and find it more difficult to end up an active religious follower.
    Actually N has been found to correlate with religious beliefs.

I wonder how much of this correlation between religious beliefs and low iq is actually religion induced low iq. I mean i would wonder if someone wouldnt be able to get to his full potential when it comes to iq if everything(or at least those things that would reguire some mental gymnastics to get) happening in the world is explained with "god did it".
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read