User Tag List

First 1234 Last

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I'd say no. Judging by the god botherers that live by a very strict set of rules and inflict them on everybody else.
    If you are wired that way, then you will automatically adjust your thought patterns to suit though.

Mind you I don't think the sensor/intuitive dichotomy translates into religious beliefs. Some of the deepest religious thinkers I've met personally have a preference for sensing functions.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    I'd say no. Judging by the god botherers that live by a very strict set of rules and inflict them on everybody else.
    If you are wired that way, then you will automatically adjust your thought patterns to suit though.

Mind you I don't think the sensor/intuitive dichotomy translates into religious beliefs. Some of the deepest religious thinkers I've met personally have a preference for sensing functions.
    Rules are for fools, and the self-righteous. I do not follow rules.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

"does religion promote an intuitive mindset" Let's re-arrange that. Does swallowing in whole information, not examining it for flaws, and regurgitating it promote an analizing mind? No, no it doesn't. Unless we are talking about hinduism or budism, if that can be called religion
    1+1=3 OMFG

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Rules are for fools, and the self-righteous. I do not follow rules.
    Weird. What are The Ten Commandments? Ardent suggestions?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Weird. What are The Ten Commandments? Ardent suggestions?
    Not again.

Obsolete Old Testament Law that people try to follow because they misinterpret the Bible (or don't read it at all), and miss the part where it talks about how the blood of Jesus fulfilled the Law when he was crucified.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

The few reliable studies available seem to positively correlate IQ to N traits. Religiousness is negatively correlated to IQ. While correlation is not causation it doesn't seem to point out to any strong link between intuitiveness and religiousness. Religious leaders can be Ns, but the following of their precepts doesn't require or encourage abstract thought as the allegories religion is based on tend to show a lack of coherence. I would expect that someone used to think in terms of abstraction would be more likely to be bothered by this and find it more difficult to end up an active religious follower.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    The few reliable studies available seem to positively correlate IQ to N traits. Religiousness is negatively correlated to IQ. While correlation is not causation it doesn't seem to point out to any strong link between intuitiveness and religiousness. Religious leaders can be Ns, but the following of their precepts doesn't require or encourage abstract thought as the allegories religion is based on tend to show a lack of coherence. I would expect that someone used to think in terms of abstraction would be more likely to be bothered by this and find it more difficult to end up an active religious follower.
    So sensors and religious folk have lower IQ's? What about black folk vs. white folk? Gays vs. straights?

My IQ just went down a few points after reading your post. It's not logical.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

As Ns are a minority in the population it's only natural to expect successful religions to adapt their structure, message and transmission of it to fit the majority of the population (SJ, SP).
    Such religions would spread to the next generation and attain critical mass in a given population faster. Assuming people generally have only one religion at once and people stick to it for years and often lifetimes religious belief should be considered as a limited resource. A process of natural selection would ensue, the more SJ\SP religions would spread more quickly and take over the available pool of believers, killing off religions more tailored for Ns.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

... In theory.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    So sensors and religious folk have lower IQ's? What about black folk vs white folk? Gays vs. straights?

My IQ just went down a few points after reading your post.
    I would expect any intelligent adult to understand that I was talking about statistics. Anecdotal data is just that. Also IQ scores tend to be stable throughout one's life and I wouldn't expect a major IQ lowering stroke to be causally related with your reading of this post.

It's adorable that you would use that tactic to attack my argument though. You could even have added orphans btw. And yes, lack of physical contact(oxytocin) and no adults regularly talking to an infant seem to have a negative impact on the development of a healthy adult brain but that would only concern kids abandoned at birth.

... In theory.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    I would expect any intelligent adult to understand that I was talking about statistics. Anecdotal data is just that. Also IQ scores tend to be stable throughout one's life and I wouldn't expect a major IQ lowering stroke to be causally related with your reading of this post.
    Oh, you have stats. Where might those be? I didn't see a link.