User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by reason View Post
    How important to atheists think they are?
    My mommy says I'm special

Ok, on a more serious note...my being an atheist has ---> | | <---- about this much to do with my normal day to day affairs.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I am a thuper important atheist. I even have the tie to prove it.

I recently watched an entertaining lecture by the blogger and writer, Greta Christina. She talked about why some atheists are perceived as "angry" by others. This video might give a perspective as to why there are atheists that are fighting to stop dogmatically-based policies and discrimination. I think, there are many atheists who only want to be treated as human beings and not moral-less heathens who eat babies. Although, babies do taste good. Others, of course, are against all forms of religion, and are anti-theists, as well as atheists. I'm not against all religion or even people believing in certain metaphysical claims, but I don't want people to impose their beliefs on me or others in a harmful fashion.

Welp, I'll stop my jabbering. Watch and enjoy.

Likes Litsnob liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by So It Goes View Post

I recently watched an entertaining lecture by the blogger and writer, Greta Christina. She talked about why some atheists are perceived as "angry" by others. This video might give a perspective as to why there are atheists that are fighting to stop dogmatically-based policies and discrimination. I think, there are many atheists who only want to be treated as human beings and not moral-less heathens who eat babies. Although, babies do taste good. Others, of course, are against all forms of religion, and are anti-theists, as well as atheists. I'm not against all religion or even people believing in certain metaphysical claims, but I don't want people to impose their beliefs on me or others in a harmful fashion.

Absolutely brilliant!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by So It Goes View Post

The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

How important to atheists think they are?
    The average, probably not at all, but there are some who go on & on & on about it, argue & argue & argue & rant & rant & rant & rave & rave... which can be fun like any other ranting session, & perhaps important also. Which is what I wonder about. Which is what i made this thread about. Which forms a question creating what the "crux of the matter" is, to my vantage (see original post). Some ranting atheism is really entertaining, & I've done it myself.

This article is something you ppl should all read, as it makes the case for confrontational atheism which I was getting at pretty well, & is also funny as hell:

GOD CAN SUCK MY DICK

"The reason that intellectuals like Chomsky are so polite when it comes to religion is, I think, a result of their not taking it seriously, because it is so transparently stupid. Few serious critical thinkers are very much intimidated by the prospect of proving that there isn't such a thing as a three-tiered afterlife, a heaven, a hell, and a waiting room called purgatory. There are obviously more difficult problems to tackle. So they blow it off. And in the meantime, religion keeps hanging on and prospering even, so that there hasn't yet been a President of the United States who wasn't terrified to be caught not going to church regularly. In an age when the human genome is almost completely mapped out already, 70% of Americans believe in the physical existence of angels. It is not yet safe for an atheist to be an influential public figure. The idea behind belief in God is not a powerful one, from a logical standpoint, so our best thinkers ignore it—but the phenomenon of belief is more powerful than ever, and becoming a bigger and bigger bummer all the time. "
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

MBTI
    ESFJ

You're joking, right? I understand why some atheists are angry (though the angry atheist does seem to be a rather American phenomenon), but articles like that are just as hypocritical, insidious, and close-minded as what the author purports to be against.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

You're joking, right? I understand why some atheists are angry (though the angry atheist does seem to be a rather American phenomenon), but articles like that are just as hypocritical, insidious, and close-minded as what the author purports to be against.
    I'm joking & also serious. I'm always like that. don't be so close-minded about opinions, they don't exist on a number line.
    RCUAI
    ---------

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    I'm joking & also serious. I'm always like that. don't be so close-minded about opinions, they don't exist on a number line.
    So in the future I should prompt you for clarification before jumping to conclusions, right? Like I did in my last post?
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

So in the future I should prompt you for clarification before jumping to conclusions, right? Like I did in my last post?
    Of course not, you should do whatever you want like I do. As long as you read what I say, I'm happy.

Why is the article I posted hypocritical?
    RCUAI
    ---------

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    Of course not, you should do whatever you want like I do. As long as you read what I say, I'm happy.

Why is the article I posted hypocritical?
    It exemplifies the kind of intolerance and close-mindedness that it is railing against. The author's conviction that theism is just a load of old nonsense, the tacit dismissal that there could be any good counterarguments to the author's position, is ironically similar to the attitudes of the much maligned religious dogmatics.