• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is adventure?

Lark

What is adventure? What do you consider constitutes being adventurous? Have you had any adventures by that measure? Do you consider yourself adventurous?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Adventure is going into the unknown. Yes, I'm adventerous, but my risk mechanism cuts me out before I can embark on grand adventures, unless necessity overrides.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Anything that alters one's thought processes.

No entropy necessary.

Nef

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Adventure is experience outside the ordinary. Not just going someplace, but doing something outside the ordinary.

I recently went on an adventure filled with many little adventures. I moved to Canada for a while. I embarked on a 4 day train journey, shot a rifle, worked in a different country, drove on the wrong side of the road legally, paid 25 dollars for the most amazing breakfast I've ever had, climbed a killer mountain, saw a moose (had to wade through a freezing lake to get a decent photo.) Adventure is going some place you haven't experienced or even doing something you haven't done before.

Adventures are not always good adventures, there can be bad ones too, that leave you running and screaming at the top of your lungs, narrowly avoiding death. However you look back and go WOW. That was an adrenaline rush!

I would consider myself adventurous, as the only thing you have in life IS experience from the moment your born screaming to the last shaky breath you take. People, things, computers, pets are all tangible. Make it count.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Trying new things... pushing yourself... getting out of your comfort zone... striking out into the unknown.

Yes, I've had adventures, mainly involving travel. My biggest adventures have been being stranded for 3 days at Schipol, studying abroad in France, traveling to Moscow on my own, Australia, roadtripping to the Grand Canyon and now Tanzania. The only non-travel adventure I can think of at the moment is having my cousin live with us, but that's a different kind of adventure.

I consider myself fairly adventurous. I'm not down with adventure sports like spelunking or sky diving or bungee jumping, but I'm not afraid to travel to a new country all by myself, try exotic foods (I'm especially adventurous about food, I loooove trying new/unusual things), etc.

Oh yeah, and when it comes to relationships, I've never shied away from putting myself out there and taking a risk. Those days are over now that I'm married, but that's ok. :)

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
expecting to be surprised

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Travel first comes to mind for me. And yes, doing something out of the ordinary, but hopefully with people whose company I enjoy and I feel safe with, or something on my own where I understand the parameters. I love adventures but I don't care for scary insanity.

I guess moving to Ireland from Canada, when it was my first time living away from home at all, was an adventure for sure, though I had a pretty soft landing. And just after I arrived I went to a conference and then exploring in Wales for a couple of weeks. I was on my own a lot and had a blast. First I was at a conference where I was way out of my depth with a bunch of academics but had a blast; then I went to see places I knew and loved from books, walked a mile up a hill in the rain to see the cottage where Led Zeppelin worked on LZ III, went up Mt Snowdon by the most difficult route with a couple of Israeli guys...etc. I've been to much more exotic places since but I still view that trip as really pivotal and one of my best. I felt so free and adventurous and like a whole big world was opening up, and like I was capable of much more than I'd imagined.

I actually think it's good for me to view things as an adventure. It makes me happier and makes me take things a bit less seriously and that's generally good. I have a fear of flying which has developed in the last few years and it's made travelling a bit harder, though it certainly hasn't stopped me. But now I'm trying to look at even that as "well, I'm bravely facing my fears to fly off and have some fun."

So It Goes

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Adventure may be described as an escape from the usual, a journey into the unknown. There are often elements of risk, fear and excitement, which may come about without any warning. Explorers enter uncharted territories of the body and mind... going as close to the edge as possible, blurring the line between security and danger.... discovering places or thoughts that were never apparent to them or others before.