User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Mankind is the only animal for which its own existence is a problem

Do you agree with this statement? What do you think it means?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Yeah, probably true, because we have the higher cognitive function to question our own existence.

But, we're also the only animal that drinks milk beyond infancy, and from another species at that, so there you go.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Yes.

When it comes to other animals, they tend to create healthy balance in the nature. Naturally there will be moments of unbalance at some points, like some new predator eating all the food they can catch, but after that the predator tends to die or only have some prey that they can barely catch, so that the amount of those predators lower to great extend and it comes more balanced environment again.

Humans on the other hand are destroying the whole planet(or too large parts of it), soon leaving an apprpriate habitat for cockroaches and jellyfish only..
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Ginkgo

I don't think so. I think all individuals of a species tend to compete for the same resources, which puts other individuals in jeopardy if supplies aren't met. I understand the point though - humans are the only animal that's made a spirit for its own destruction, that sings hymns about the deaths of its rivals, that turns violence into a sacred ideal, and that calculates genocide. Sometimes- genocide isn't even done self-servingly, which means that we're probably the only ones who destroy large numbers of our own for higher causes.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Absolutely untrue. Any animal, if allowed, would exploit its environment to the largest available degree. Of course, for animals whose technology isn't as advanced as ours, the available degree is much lower, and thus negative feedback cycles are easier for us to see at a micro-scale. However, we're subject to exactly the same laws i.e. when one kind of resource becomes depleted, we cannot afford its extraction and usage, eventually famies spread and millions of humans die etc.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Absolutely untrue. Any animal, if allowed, would exploit its environment to the largest available degree. Of course, for animals whose technology isn't as advanced as ours, the available degree is much lower, and thus negative feedback cycles are easier for us to see at a micro-scale. However, we're subject to exactly the same laws i.e. when one kind of resource becomes depleted, we cannot afford its extraction and usage, eventually famies spread and millions of humans die etc.
    But the problem occurs because humans dont really have limitations on exploiting the environment they live in
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    But the problem occurs because humans dont really have limitations on exploiting the environment they live in
    They definitely do, on a macro (well, let's just say larger) scale. Deaths from pollution, energy depletion, famine etc. are an example of negative feedback mechanism at play
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

They definitely do, on a macro (well, let's just say larger) scale. Deaths from pollution, energy depletion, famine etc. are an example of negative feedback mechanism at play
    Well i dont see whats happening in small scale is a problem, its just the normal course of life and most imporant the balance is restored without there being any significant problems occuring outside the small scale changes since other animals only has an effect on one of few species. Also other animals dont really cause other species to get extincted, unless they are introduced to totally new environment, like people taking cats to new zealand to freely much on stupid slow animals amd having no natural enemies. But even in that case it doesent destroy the whole system and damage remains in micro-scale. Humans on the other hand destroy so many micro-scale systems that they start to have effect on larger scale. But humans dont only stop to that, they also destroy habitat from multiple species, destroy ozone layer that destroys habitat from many species etc etc. This is what i consider a problem. You disagreed with op because you saw an alteration of a single micro-scale system as a problem?
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Agreed.

OP, I interpreted your post as more metaphysical than naturalistic. So in that vein I'd agree with @Aquarelle.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Agreed.

OP, I interpreted your post as more metaphysical than naturalistic. So in that vein I'd agree with @Aquarelle.
    The lack of clarity in the OP makes me wonder if people are wasting their time in this thread.