User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Default religion is a cop out

we got in a bit of a debate earlier about whether we thought that religion was a positive or negative influence on our lives and I started thinking...

my mom is the 70s variety of folk music listening christian who believes that jesus loves everyone- I think that I disappointed her by refusing to go through confirmation or get baptized when the time came... I didn't really see a point to it since I didn't really believe in anything nonetheless, because she believed that we should definitely attend church and sunday school (she even read us bedtime stories from the picture bible as kids) I ended up learning plenty about religion and at least having certain bits influence me even though I could never manage to believe on my own- I think that I was born with a broken belief mechanism... I never even believed in Santa Claus as a kid

somehow the idea of an all loving deity never caught on... the idea that there is anyone who cares about me who doesn't know me personally just never clicked... the idea that I should feel guilty whenever I do something wrong certainly did. my mother's tendency to punish by informing me that she was so disappointed in me and then starting to cry probably didn't help. I doubt that she ever meant for things to turn out so that I would eventually end up feeling guilty.

I've done a lot of shit that I SHOULD feel bad about... I've screwed over a lot of people in the past, I've let a lot of people down... I have no idea how I would even begin to go about fixing things... should I just move on forward and try to do good? that seems like the correct answer, but it doesn't feel right. I can't fix things and I'm disgusted with myself for being so impotent in setting wrongs right. I feel guilty and there's no way to go back and fix things. I'm pissed off at the idea of religion in general because it makes it seem so easy and it's not... things aren't as easy as just saying to some non-corporeal being that your sorry... you still know that you did it... how are you supposed to live with that?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    STP

My thought

religion "CAN BE" a cop out

religion is a positive "AND" negative influence on our lives

I say apologize to the people in your life that are still there and you still can, and then move on and try to do good.
    Im out, its been fun

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

there's people who can't be apologized to... people it's too late to apologize to and there's people who even if I grovel for forgiveness it won't be enough

even if I go all My Name is Earl it won't set things right

it just seems so unfair somehow in a way... I know people who CAN believe in things easily... people who just pray or confess or whatever and feel alright... at peace or something no matter how much I've ever wanted to believe in anything it doesn't seem to work... what sort of evil fucker of a deity would play favorites?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

The Opium of the People

Religious distress is at the same time the expression of real distress and the protest against real distress. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions.

MBTI
    STP

yeah, I am the same way with religion...even down to trying to ask God to be in my life...it just never works. The best I can seem to do is to see the good and the bad that it bring.

Do what you can...say screw it to everything else...and work on being good.

edit: Not that God being in my life never works...but I dont ever feel it when I have tried or anything that would give me even an inkling of difference.
    Im out, its been fun

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I've attended a variety of different types of churches even, from shabbat to mosque to latin mass... have read a variety of different texts from different religions and even spent a summer in a convent (though that was for the free room and board)... still, nothing

I guess you're right about just trying to be good though

if only there were a way to just wipe the slate clean...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

You're probably putting too much weight on that. I mean, you didn't kill anyone, right?
    Think this way: If you have ever hurt someone, they probably learned something from the experience. Also you learned enough not to repeat the same supposed mistakes.
    The idea that a couple of prayers could fix everything up is inherently silly.

Edit: Btw the My name is Earl idea rocks
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    STP

I got nothing about wiping the slate clean...in my eyes, what does apologizing to God do or admiting your sins other then a sense of letting it off your shoulders. The best you can do is to give a true heart felt apology out into the world and move on. If you are truly sorry I think that would help. Wish I could help more, but I am in the same boat when it comes to that kind of stuff.
    Im out, its been fun

A window to the soul

I can't fix things and I'm disgusted with myself for being so impotent in setting wrongs right. I feel guilty and there's no way to go back and fix things. I'm pissed off at the idea of religion in general because it makes it seem so easy and it's not... things aren't as easy as just saying to some non-corporeal being that your sorry... you still know that you did it... how are you supposed to live with that?
    It is easy and the only path to true peace is through a relationship with God. All of your sins are forgiven: past, present, and future. I sense you already know this.

Do you think you can't forgive yourself, even though God is more than willing to forgive you?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I've done a lot of shit that I SHOULD feel bad about... I've screwed over a lot of people in the past, I've let a lot of people down... I have no idea how I would even begin to go about fixing things... should I just move on forward and try to do good? that seems like the correct answer, but it doesn't feel right. I can't fix things and I'm disgusted with myself for being so impotent in setting wrongs right. I feel guilty and there's no way to go back and fix things. I'm pissed off at the idea of religion in general because it makes it seem so easy and it's not... things aren't as easy as just saying to some non-corporeal being that your sorry... you still know that you did it... how are you supposed to live with that?
    You cannot change the past. You can only act in the present to make a better future.

If you believe in God, and feel that your past transgressions have offended him, then prayer is part of the answer. Not just a simple "forgive me for my sins" but an ongoing communication.

If you don't believe, or are unsure, start in the mortal sphere. Fix what you can; make amends where possible; apologize, whether the other person will accept it or not. Most importantly, though, figure out what you have to learn from these negative experiences. Do you do these things any more? Are there areas you still need to improve on? How? If you have done what you can to correct your mistakes and have used the experiences to become a better person, you have done all you can and far more than many people.

The only religious cop-out I see is to think seeking forgiveness from God is a substitute for putting things right in the human world.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...