• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

French Government Angers Catholic Church in Allowing Debaptization

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Another thread full of Lark complaining and paranoia. If only the world would go backwards as he wishes.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If he had joined the Boyscouts or the Red Cross or the Communist Party as a youngster and now wanted to be struck from their member list, this would be a non-issue.

It just so happens the organisation from whose member list he wants to erased does not think that is possible and has no corresponding clerical procedure installed. They should, unless they consider themselves to be above and beyond secular law (which they seem to do). That is the whole point. From inside a religious worldview his request is ludicrous, but only IF you accept the premises used inside the church. From outside a religious worldview his request is the most normal thing in the world. I don't see it as a publicity stunt against the church (nor as others have suggested as a stunt BY the church to demonstrate how far those evil apostates have gone by spreading the misinformation that he wanted to be "debaptised") but simply as a conflict between two different interpretations of reality that come down to what has priority - divine law (and to accept that you have to be religious) or secular law.

This reminds me of those people who say Salman Rushdie is an idiot for thinking he is no longer a muslim and the laws of islam don't apply to him since he is an apostate. They say once a muslim always a muslim.

I don't think the church's refusal is a stunt. I have no doubt that they truly believe they are above the law. I think coining it a "debaptization" is a deliberate overreaction to make headlines and that is a stunt.

I'm also sure this has much to do with the fact that we're talking about the Catholic Church. I doubt we'd see the same resistance from outsiders if he were trying to leave the Church of Scientology for example, which is far younger, and subject to broader unpopularity.

Munchies

MBTI Type
XNXP
Enneagram
OMG
Instinctual Variant
sx
I love the french, so politicaly independant. I am still named a christian in the government eys because i was baptised and went through the whole christian school thing. Where do i sign to get "debaptised"?

Seriously though what a waste of time, i could've been learning about philosophy and brain excersises to get me thinking criticaly at a younger age. Although finding inconsistancies in the bible promoted critical thinking. Replace religion for philosophy and you will see a smart generation. Nobody has a clear understanding of the trinity, jsut swallowed whole and regurgitated.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
My father was an atheist, so I was not baptized. this caused my grandfather some consternation, so I was cut out of his substantial will.
but I'd rather have the truth from dad than a delusion from grandpa.

Last edited: