User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 151

Thread: Original sin?

  1. #81
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    That is the only moral authority any of us has access to.
    I disagree with your assertion.

    Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Fixed.
    No. The difference is in the word "purely". In a Christian world view goodness is something real and lasting and not just a social construct. When we exert power over others we can do it in a good way and do it to achieve a good end. Without God there is exertion of power, but no goodness that is meaningful.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  2. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Without God there is exertion of power, but no goodness that is meaningful.
    I fed a homeless man. + I am not a Christian. = Therefore is it not meaningful.

    Absurd.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

  3. #83
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Jesus preached submission to God, that did not make him submissive. In fact, he was a highly subversive Jew.
    The Trinity is an invention of the Catholic church, entirely inconsistent with early Christian doctrine. Jesus did not see himself as equal to God. If he had, much of his teaching would have been utterly nonsensical. Whereas, in fact, much of it was common sense.



    There's another dude who thought he could just redefine terms to suit himself. I figured you'd like him.
    You've never read the Bible have you? Confess.

  4. #84
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    You Christian types need to get yourself some better representation.
    Not going to happen. Jesus chooses the poor and lowly to do his work. Sorry.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  5. #85
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EvidenceOfRedemption View Post
    "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." (1 Corinthians 1:18)
    Amen!

  6. #86
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I fed a homeless man. + I am not a Christian. = Therefore is it not meaningful.

    Absurd.
    Apart from the lunacy of the statement he meant that his main deity is the giver of meaning rather than the religion itself. Though it would imply that the 'non christian wordview' however is meaningless (rather than the fact of non christianity)
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  7. #87
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I fed a homeless man. + I am not a Christian. = Therefore is it not meaningful.

    Absurd.
    No, I think that it's meaningful for a nonchristian to give food to a homeless person. But, that's only because I think I'm right and that the Christian God is real. I think your logical inconsistency and presumption that goodness matters is a sign that I'm right and the Christian God does exist.

    What's absurd is to believe in materialistic atheism and act as if goodness matters. If there is no God then we are all just the consequence of chemical reactions. There is no inherent difference between birth and murder. Shit happens. That's all.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  8. #88
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    I hate to break this to you, but scoring something out doesn't make it false.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    You've never read the Bible have you? Confess.
    I expect I know a good deal more of the Bible than you do.

    Believe it or not, once I was as brainwashed as you are now.

    My excuse is that I was 8 yrs old. What's yours?

    (I'm guessing that's not you in your avatar, although, then again...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  9. #89
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    No, I think that it's meaningful for a nonchristian to give food to a homeless person. But, that's only because I think I'm right and that the Christian God is real. I think your logical inconsistency and presumption that goodness matters is a sign that I'm right and the Christian God does exist.

    What's absurd is to believe in materialistic atheism and act as if goodness matters. If there is no God then we are all just the consequence of chemical reactions. There is no inherent difference between birth and murder. Shit happens. That's all.
    by this logic language also proves that god exists. The only thing your statement seems to demonstrate reliably is your complete inability to reason when it comes to your religious delusion
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  10. #90
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Hate is life

    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr6-zYWfIXk"].[/YOUTUBE]
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Similar Threads

  1. original sin
    By greenfairy in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 04-23-2013, 12:01 AM
  2. Seven Deadly Sin Quiz
    By Kiddo in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 04-05-2010, 02:53 PM
  3. Original Sin
    By Into It in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-01-2009, 08:37 PM
  4. Problems with Original Sin (Genesis)
    By Didums in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-18-2008, 04:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO