12311 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Default Man created god in his own image

Not the other way around

Discuss

Edit. Blah i thought i invented a witty new saying that reflects the truth, but apparently some guy invented that already in 1841
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Not the other way around

Discuss

Edit. Blah i thought i invented a witty new saying that reflects the truth, but apparently some guy invented that already in 1841
    With something as simple as that, it's safe to assume someone has said it before.

But yeah, I agree. Humans create many things in their own image. Look at nearly any sci-fi with aliens in it and they'll be humanoid aliens. Norse mythology is full of humanoid creatures (frost giants, dwarves, elves, dark elves I think, etc.). Other mythologies have plenty of human-shaped things too. Even Hinduism, with it's zany pantheon (meant with no disrespect), has human-shaped animals like Ganesha, the four armed anthropomorphic elephant god of beginnings and knowledge (among other things). I don't think humans creating one more deity (assuming you mean the judeo-christian one) in their own image is a stretch at all.

The default shape for a sentient being, in the minds of humans, is that of a human.
    MBTI: INTP (PNIT if you wanna put it in order of strength.)
    Socionics: INTp
    Enneagram: 5w4
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: (usually) Very Liberal
    Religious Stance: (roughly) Secular Humanist
    Class: Wizard
    Stereotype: Geek/Hippie

Also, credit for my new avatar goes to this person. I found it on the google.

Not the other way around

Discuss

What guy?

Have you just discovered Feuerbach? There's a book by this title which is in my to be read pile which I'm planning to read next, I bought it for the chapter on Erich Fromm but its also got chapters on Freud too.

In some ways it is true, this is how people mistakenly perceive God, then having only ever known that mistaken perception its easy to abandon that and in the process feel the new found atheism is so much more enlightened and clever.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What guy?

Have you just discovered Feuerbach? There's a book by this title which is in my to be read pile which I'm planning to read next, I bought it for the chapter on Erich Fromm but its also got chapters on Freud too.

In some ways it is true, this is how people mistakenly perceive God, then having only ever known that mistaken perception its easy to abandon that and in the process feel the new found atheism is so much more enlightened and clever.
    That feuerbach guy. I decided to google "man created god in his own image" after creating this topic and found out about the guy and his book. First time i even heard his name.
    Anyways i think if you are atheist, its important to find alternative ways to become conscious of your unconscious or to have some link with your unconsciousness. If you are too ego centered and cant do that, its better to just believe in god, that is if your religious beliefs arent effecting other people.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

That feuerbach guy. I decided to google "man created god in his own image" after creating this topic and found out about the guy and his book. First time i even heard his name.
    Anyways i think if you are atheist, its important to find alternative ways to become conscious of your unconscious or to have some link with your unconsciousness. If you are too ego centered and cant do that, its better to just believe in god, that is if your religious beliefs arent effecting other people.
    I knew it was Feuerbach!

I would highly recommend his Essence of Christianity BTW, I love that book, I dont believe his atheist beliefs but his account is praisworthy of what ought to be the heart of Christianity (it is love).

Anyway, I think anyone, religious or not, should be aware of the role of the unconscious and seek to exercise self-analysis, its one of four or five things which Erich Fromm identified as keys to dealing with the average character neurosis (you've got to understand with Fromm he thought everyone was more or less neurotic, more or less disordered because of the psychological compromises they would be compelled to make to live in the families and societies which shaped them).

A window to the soul

It sounds like something an atheist might say.

The Bible says man was created in God's image.

Smile Ineffable

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    The Bible says man was created in God's image.
    God, I am told, is ineffable. So we ourselves, even Nerd Girl and Victor, are ineffable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    :Anyway, I think anyone, religious or not, should be aware of the role of the unconscious and seek to exercise self-analysis, its one of four or five things which Erich Fromm identified as keys to dealing with the average character neurosis (you've got to understand with Fromm he thought everyone was more or less neurotic, more or less disordered because of the psychological compromises they would be compelled to make to live in the families and societies which shaped them).
    Quite right.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Not the other way around

Discuss

Actually, this is quite right.

Anyway, shouldn't people strive to be what god is supposed to be? Not what idiot fundamental Christians make him out to be.

I swear, sometimes, I wonder why people would want to worship an irrational, flaky god. What happened to love and forgiveness?
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    God, I am told, is ineffable. So we ourselves, even Nerd Girl and Victor, are ineffable as well.
    He is amazing. (: