• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Man created god in his own image

Lark

Wait wait wait... this just came to me. If we are created in God's image, does that mean that God is also impure and is capable of sin? >_> None of this has ever made any sense to me.

You confuse the image for the thing itself. A photograph of you is not you and not capable of the same things as you.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sometimes I think of God as an anthropomophization of society, our primary caregivers/parents, the universe/the inanimate world, or even self... sometimes not

Spurgeon

MBTI Type
xNxx
What establishes the relationship between God and man is God come as a man, that is who Jesus is. Jesus is God's only begotten son. Those who believe in Jesus are adopted sons, and therefore co-heirs with Jesus.

Amen.

Furthermore:

John 3:1-21

You Must Be Born Again

Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. This man came to Jesus by night and said to him, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God, for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him.” Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.” Nicodemus said to him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?” Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

Nicodemus said to him, “How can these things be?” Jesus answered him, “Are you the teacher of Israel and yet you do not understand these things? Truly, truly, I say to you, we speak of what we know, and bear witness to what we have seen, but you do not receive our testimony. If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how can you believe if I tell you heavenly things? No one has ascended into heaven except he who descended from heaven, the Son of Man. And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in him may have eternal life."

For God So Loved the World

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed. But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God.”

Munchies

MBTI Type
XNXP
Enneagram
OMG
Instinctual Variant
sx
god created us in his image. does that mean we don't evolve? We are evolving, we are being CREATED in god's image. What directs evolution, OUR MINDS DO. If our minds direct our own evolution into absolute perfection, WE ARE GOD.

funny thing about talking about god is that this is all subjective and if anyone wishs to do any progress in this frame of thought why don't you listen to richard feynman speak or sllan watts, instead of listening to randomd peepes on the interweb\

G

garbage

I mean, yeah. We naturally anthropomorphize things and bestow them with human characteristics. God is pretty much ineffable, and we do the best we can to capture it.

(Some religions/mindsets/worldviews capture it better than others.)

I feel similar with the ones that say we're God's children, doesn't that imply that we'll grow up to be Gods one day?
god created us in his image. does that mean we don't evolve? We are evolving, we are being CREATED in god's image.

Along this line of thinking.. I tend to think of 'God' as an ideal that we ought to strive toward (perhaps Jesus as a relatable manifestation). I'd regard the 'point' of spirituality to be to bring us closer to perfection and alignment, in any case, and most everything else as fluff or worse.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Along this line of thinking.. I tend to think of 'God' as an ideal that we ought to strive toward (perhaps Jesus as a relatable manifestation). I'd regard the 'point' of spirituality to be to bring us closer to perfection and alignment, in any case, and most everything else as fluff or worse.

the idea of analytical psychology is to come conscious of the unconscious mind and differentiate the whole Self(or as much that is possible). This whole Self is what i see the image of god represents, it has all the nasty things lurking in the shadow/unconscious differentiated and is the image of the wholeness.

its just that we can see our ego aspect all the time, but harder to see our unconscious directly. the unconscious mind is not directly observed, but it still has definite effects on the whole self and how the ego operates. its through dreams(i wonder how big of an % of these encounters with deities happened in a dream :D ), synchronicieties and projections that we observe our unconscious mind. these projections work sort of like leading our ego towards some predetermined but unknown(to ego) things.

i think the idea that this path of the unconsciousness is the guidance of god can be both good and bad thing, but personally i prefer seeing this thing people call god as part of myself, but i got no problem with people needing the comfort of "god".

Horrible Aesthete

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That most gods were created in humanity's image is so obvious, it is almost not worth mentioning, but for the multitudes for whom it is not so obvious. Up to this point there is not a shred of evidence to support the existence of god(s). Thus discussing whether or not there is a god(s) is moot, and all notions of god(s) thus far are human constructs. Taking a human construct based on absolutely nothing and assigning it various characteristics further compounds the problem. Assigning such a construct human traits is ridiculous (but understandable). The more detailed the proposed understanding of god(s), the more traits we assign, and the more we pretend to know such a construct's desires and pet peeves, the more ridiculous the notion becomes.

Pointing at existence or consciousness and labeling it 'god(s)' will not solve the problem. It is obviously different methods of comprehending the same thing, and so ultimately it is merely a matter of semantics. Nevertheless, existence, consciousness, or even the so-called beauty and complexity of the universe(s), do not suggest the existence of a sentient god(s). There is no reason to ever have entertained such a notion (i.e. no evidence), much less to adopt its existence dogmatically. It is ultimately the product of circular reasoning (if it even makes it to the reasoning stage). Better to label it existence and leave it at that until further data is collected and analysed.

It could very well be that there is some sort of god(s), but if there is we have so far garnered absolutely no evidence to support such an assumption, and so we have no reason ever to have arrived at this conclusion in the first place. And it is very true that our faculties are somewhat limited. Is this to say that we will never be able to discern the existence of god(s), if god(s)s exists, and to quantify this existence to some degree? Not at all. Only that we should not make any great leaps based on a lack of evidence.

Of course, if believing in and fiddling with human-centric constructs brings someone some measure of happiness, follow your bliss.

G

garbage

the idea of analytical psychology is to come conscious of the unconscious mind and differentiate the whole Self(or as much that is possible). This whole Self is what i see the image of god represents, it has all the nasty things lurking in the shadow/unconscious differentiated and is the image of the wholeness.
[...]
i think the idea that this path of the unconsciousness is the guidance of god can be both good and bad thing, but personally i prefer seeing this thing people call god as part of myself, but i got no problem with people needing the comfort of "god".

That most gods were created in humanity's image is so obvious, it is almost not worth mentioning, but for the multitudes for whom it is not so obvious. Up to this point there is not a shred of evidence to support the existence of god(s). Thus discussing whether or not there is a god(s) is moot, and all notions of god(s) thus far are human constructs. Taking a human construct based on absolutely nothing and assigning it various characteristics further compounds the problem. Assigning such a construct human traits is ridiculous (but understandable). The more detailed the proposed understanding of god(s), the more traits we assign, and the more we pretend to know such a construct's desires and pet peeves, the more ridiculous the notion becomes.

Pointing at existence or consciousness and labeling it 'god(s)' will not solve the problem. It is obviously different methods of comprehending the same thing, and so ultimately it is merely a matter of semantics. Nevertheless, existence, consciousness, or even the so-called beauty and complexity of the universe(s), do not suggest the existence of a sentient god(s). There is no reason to ever have entertained such a notion (i.e. no evidence), much less to adopt its existence dogmatically. It is ultimately the product of circular reasoning (if it even makes it to the reasoning stage). Better to label it existence and leave it at that until further data is collected and analysed.
I love both of these thoughts.

We should believe in something and strive to better ourselves. In the meantime, we can chip away at the problem of what that something actually is, which can only help give us an even better picture of what we should aim toward.

I'm personally of the mind that it's all internal, to be unlocked, and that referring to it as an anthropomorphic and external God cheapens the whole concept of an 'inner light' and leads to confusion, but that if it's taken metaphorically it can be extremely powerful. But then.. that's just my view, based solely upon the evidence (collected experiences, intuitions, and facts) that I've collected and my interpretation of them.

Along that line, in my religious diversity groups, I've heard sentiments along the lines of "How can you not interpret the wonders of this world as evidence for the existence of God?" I don't have an answer.

Spurgeon

MBTI Type
xNxx

It could very well be that there is some sort of god(s), but if there is we have so far garnered absolutely no evidence to support such an assumption, and so we have no reason ever to have arrived at this conclusion in the first place. And it is very true that our faculties are somewhat limited. Is this to say that we will never be able to discern the existence of god(s), if god(s)s exists, and to quantify this existence to some degree? Not at all. Only that we should not make any great leaps based on a lack of evidence.

Of course, if believing in and fiddling with human-centric constructs brings someone some measure of happiness, follow your bliss.

We should believe in something and strive to better ourselves. In the meantime, we can chip away at the problem of what that something actually is, which can only help give us an even better picture of what we should aim toward.

I'm personally of the mind that it's all internal, to be unlocked, and that referring to it as an anthropomorphic and external God cheapens the whole concept of an 'inner light' and leads to confusion, but that if it's taken metaphorically it can be extremely powerful. But then.. that's just my view, based solely upon the evidence (collected experiences, intuitions, and facts) that I've collected and my interpretation of them.

Along that line, in my religious diversity groups, I've heard sentiments along the lines of "How can you not interpret the wonders of this world as evidence for the existence of God?" I don't have an answer.

In darkness and ignorance, you blaspheme and dishonor God with these foolish words, and you do so to your own destruction.

Romans 1:18-25
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.

Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

I Corinthians 1:19-25
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written:

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
And bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.”

Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. For Jews request a sign, and Greeks seek after wisdom; but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks foolishness, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

John 3:16-20
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

“He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed.

Therefore, repent of your unbelief and turn to the only hope for sinners before a holy and righteous God--Jesus Christ.

Isaiah 55:6-7
Seek the Lord while He may be found,
Call upon Him while He is near.
Let the wicked forsake his way,
And the unrighteous man his thoughts;
Let him return to the Lord,
And He will have mercy on him;
And to our God,
For He will abundantly pardon.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=13954]Spurgeon[/MENTION] Ever get a convert by making posts that that?

Spurgeon

MBTI Type
xNxx
[MENTION=13954]
Spurgeon[/MENTION] Ever get a convert by making posts that that?

It's not my responsibility to "get converts."

I point people to the only One who can save them--Jesus Christ.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's not my responsibility to "get converts."

I point people to the only One who can save them--Jesus Christ.

So your appointed job is just to pound the pulpit on online forums until that happens?

Spurgeon

MBTI Type
xNxx
So your appointed job is just to pound the pulpit on online forums until that happens?

Whenever and wherever there is an opportunity to point people to Christ, I consider how I might use it wisely.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Whenever and wherever there is an opportunity to point people to Christ, I consider how I might use it wisely.

Maybe you should spend even more time considering it. I assure you, those walls of texts are only read by those who already agree with you, or those who will never agree with you. If I were Christian, I'd be flitting around displaying virtuous action, you know.. fruits of the spirit and all. Anyway.. take it or leave it.

Spurgeon

MBTI Type
xNxx
Maybe you should spend even more time considering it. I assure you, those walls of texts are only read by those who already agree with you, or those who will never agree with you. If I were Christian, I'd be flitting around displaying virtuous action, you know.. fruits of the spirit and all. Anyway.. take it or leave it.

No, I will not take your advice.

I've posted Scriptures which declare the guilt of those who refuse to turn to Christ, as well as Scriptures which declare the gracious Gospel of forgiveness, grace, and mercy available to all who call on Christ.

That is God's message, and that is my message.

If people ignore the Word of God they do so to their own destruction.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, I will not take your advice.

I've posted Scriptures which declare the guilt of those who refuse to turn to Christ, as well as Scriptures which declare the gracious Gospel of forgiveness, grace, and mercy available to all who call on Christ.

That is God's message, and that is my message.

If people ignore the Word of God they do so to their own destruction.

Okay, I get it, you're not into virtuous action. Here's your pulpit back, I'm sure the Holy Spirit is yelling right beside you.

G

garbage

Therefore, repent of your unbelief and turn to the only hope for sinners before a holy and righteous God--Jesus Christ.
OK, I will.

[MENTION=13954]Spurgeon[/MENTION] Ever get a convert by making posts that that?
I've been on mission trips to serve the Christian God.

The more successful missionaries have told me that one has to learn the culture and 'speak the language'--for example, equating 'sin' with 'shame' in the cultures that wish to purge shame. The absolute most successful ones have served as examples and demonstrations of true strength. People ask where they get it, they say God; blammo, you've got yourself a convert.

They have told me that those who smack people over the head with a Bible don't get many converts, no.

So...
...learn to use it wiselier. If you want to serve the Lord and perform God's work, learn to reach people on their level. Demonstrate what you have to offer them.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
OK, I will.

I've been on mission trips to serve the Christian God.

The more successful missionaries have told me that one has to learn the culture and 'speak the language'. The absolute most successful ones have served as examples and demonstrations of true strength. People ask where they get it, they say God; blammo, you've got yourself a convert.

They have told me that those who smack people over the head with a Bible don't get many converts, no.

So...

...learn to use it wiselier.

I figured this is how sensible Christians would go about it. Most online pulpit pounders seem to be more about being right than furthering their intents.

Spurgeon

MBTI Type
xNxx
@ Bologna:

I don't understand your last post.

Are you a Christian?

If so, your previous posts make no sense.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When all you have is a 20lb Bible, every problem looks like a head....