• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Man created god in his own image

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I never understood the original scripture anyway, it seems such a strange idea that I can't grasp at. I suppose it establishes a relationship between God and man, but what is it exactly? I feel similar with the ones that say we're God's children, doesn't that imply that we'll grow up to be Gods one day?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
doesn't that imply that we'll grow up to be Gods one day?
Exactly. And you get to be part of a consul composed by 50 billion Gods. You get to voice your opinion once every century.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Exactly. And you get to be part of a consul composed by 50 billion Gods. You get to voice your opinion once every century.

I figured we'd all just get our own universes to mess around in.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thatz zo wrong dood, God is the one haz superpowahz.

New proposition:
It takes one man's rib to make a woman.
Humans have 24 ribs.
Is one man worth 24 women?
No. It means 24 women can share a single man. Which means 23 out of 24 men are redundant, surplus, unnecessary, and can be eliminated in the interests of efficiency.

MBTI Type
ISTP
When man tries to make god, man makes an idol.

Does it make sense to say what is dead can make life?

God made man and gave man life. Man can reproduce and make man, who is alive, but man cannot make god. It would only be a dead object.

Lark

I never understood the original scripture anyway, it seems such a strange idea that I can't grasp at. I suppose it establishes a relationship between God and man, but what is it exactly? I feel similar with the ones that say we're God's children, doesn't that imply that we'll grow up to be Gods one day?

It is the teaching of Jesus that "ye shall be Gods" there is something to contemplate in that.

MBTI Type
ISTP

What establishes the relationship between God and man is God come as a man, that is who Jesus is. Jesus is God's only begotten son. Those who believe in Jesus are adopted sons, and therefore co-heirs with Jesus.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If God is not a person like you or I, then what is he?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
God, are you saying you are a God? Or else we would just call him "Man"

Jesus in Christianity has the body of a human, although he may have super-human powers. I was wondering whether God may have a non-human-shaped form, or whether there are multiple types of Gods, personal and non-personal alike.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
God, are you saying you are a God? Or else we would just call him "Man"
Or, as the Pagans say: "Thou art God / Thou art Goddess."

KDude

The original "proto-Israelites" were nomadic people who originated from Babylon. There are a lot of similarities with Babylonian and Mesopotamian myths. Myths that included humanoid type of gods. Consider them "reformers" of those old beliefs - but they didn't completely rewrite the stories. They adapted them and redefined them, and left some elements in. Leftover elements like Mesopotamian cosmology, parts of the creation stories, and possibly, how they envisioned gods.

But their religion kept evolving. Even THEY stopped believing they were created in God's image. The "Yahweh" cult presented a far more mysterious and profound God. The stories present Moses asking for a name. "What should I call you?" And the voice said "I am that I am." This was some all encompassing god representing the totality of Being itself. He would appear in burning bushes and thunderous clasps of lightning, he couldn't be approached, and condemned you if you made an image of him. This was a stark cry from the God of Adam, who walked in the Garden of Eden, lost, yelling out.. "Adam! Where are you?" The Yahwists were addressing this situation about "man creating God in his own image". The God of their myths was too small for them. And so they told new stories. They tried to rewrite the book.

Fast forward another couple of thousand of years though and all these documents get bundled up in a "canon" together. And people assume it's all representative of what everyone in the past believed. But they were evolving and had in-fighting amongst themselves on the "definition" of God just like anyone else. There is truly nothing new under the sun.

xisnotx

Permabanned
If God is not a person like you or I, then what is he?

An effective way of promoting harmony in society, by stratifying people. No man is a god. God is above all men. If you don't believe this, you aren't worthy of consideration...we may go so far as to kill you.

But, then again, some men have always thought themselves god (or have always acted as such). The egyption pharoes didn't even bother to hide it. They thought themselves devine, deserving of no less than total adulation. I'd imagine most of the most influential at one point or another challenged god's supremacy.

Why is it, then, that some respond to the god idea by assuming that he is the unquestionable supreme being, and others decide instead to challenge his supremacy?

What motivates these two groups of men? The god challengers and those that suppose that challenging god would be futile?

And what role does modern day technology play in all this? Will we all become god challengers? Will that lead to everyone believing that they are above god's morality, or have the ability to define it, thus rendering it arbitrary? Or will there develop a new social institution to seperate the challengers from those who can't or won't? Or perhaps nothing at all?

Isn't that what the devil wants? For people to challenge god? Of course the people who challenge god also challenge his authority on the wants of the devil...for perhaps the only reason we think that's what the devil wants is because god told us so. A catch 22. What to believe now?

Is the god concept (a sort of naturalistic order idealogy) worthy of being thought of as being unquestionable in all instances? Is humanity destined never to get past nature? Or can that over reaching concept be challenged, without falling victim to the devils desires?

All this, assuming of course, that god and the devil exist...or at the least their attributes manifest themselves in a real way in human beings. Said another way, that some people are inherently good and others inherently evil.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love that you believed this was an original thought.

...great minds think alike perhaps? :p

Yeah I can't find any valid reason as to why we would even be created in some all knowing being's image; the same of which wants everyone to be pure yet creates people with homosexual thoughts etc who are doomed to go to hell from birth. If we are supposed to ALL live the Christian way, and this all knowing being really wanted us to be this way, then these things should be instincts in us rather than something some of us would have to force ourselves to do; and go against the already natural feelings in us (which are there because of said being). Totally legit. But hey, I won't derail this. ^_^

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wait wait wait... this just came to me. If we are created in God's image, does that mean that God is also impure and is capable of sin? >_> None of this has ever made any sense to me.