• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Man created god in his own image

godscollie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
intp
Not the other way around :yes:

Discuss

Edit. Blah i thought i invented a witty new saying that reflects the truth, but apparently some guy invented that already in 1841 :(

yes it is absurd to believe the creator of the universe and life exists in the form of a man in ultimate construction as God Almighty. Man is just a form he can take at will. Also the Bible has been tampered with by man over thousands of years to create this image. I am an Angel i know about such things :)

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Man created god in his own image
Not the other way around :yes:

Sounds reasonable. Because nobody has probably really seen the god so we wouldn't know how he is and id he is a man at all or just something else, or maybe he doesn't exsist at all. But if he would exsist, it's easier to imagine him as a man than as some other life form (and why a man anyway, why not a woman?).

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds reasonable. Because nobody has probably really seen the god so we wouldn't know how he is and id he is a man at all or just something else, or maybe he doesn't exsist at all. But if he would exsist, it's easier to imagine him as a man than as some other life form (and why a man anyway, why not a woman?).
In many times and cultures, "God" has been a woman, or both.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

personally i would prefer shemale god, but the original saying is 'god created man in his image', so i used man also. in some more civilized languages than english, the word man is switched to what translates to human.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
personally i would prefer shemale god, but the original saying is 'god created man in his image', so i used man also. in some more civilized languages than english, the word man is switched to what translates to human.
If I recall the Bible correctly, it says, "God created man in his own image; male and female he created them". This suggests that both male and female are part of the image of God. Many people use "he" as the default, partly for convenience, and partly for less noble purposes.

G

Ginkgo

If I recall the Bible correctly, it says, "God created man in his own image; male and female he created them". This suggests that both male and female are part of the image of God. Many people use "he" as the default, partly for convenience, and partly for less noble purposes.

Was the original definition of "man" referring to mankind?

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some translations now use "humanity" in place of "man", so I suspect it does. In any case, as soon as the "male and female" part comes in, it is no longer male/he only.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Many people use "he" as the default, partly for convenience, and partly for less noble purposes.

i hate it that english is so sexist language that it doesent have he/she/his/hers/him/her type of words for human. a lot of the times when the person has unknown gender, you need to say he/she or assume that the person is male.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I recently read an article giving advice on how to deal with a difficult boss, and throughout, the boss was referred to as "she", even though it wasn't about female supervisors specifically. So, it seems some people are reversing the trend. You are right, though, that the language doesn't offer us a real neutral alternative aside of "it", and most people would object to that.

godscollie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
intp
My dear Angelic Doctor, don't you think the universe is far more interesting than religious imaginings?

I like your opening, my heart fluttered. The universe is very interesting it has billions of Stars, Black holes , theoretical white holes that eject mass and the list goes on. Whether it is a question of imagining or not the Universe and Earth is far more interesting than whether i am an Angel.