• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Carl Jung: I know God exists...

• Thread starter A window to the soul
  • Start date

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Lark can say and Lark says BULLSHIT I'm afraid. What is this weird stuff you're tapping out man, seriously? I noticed it in other threads besides this one too, dont read any note of hostility into my response because its not there, its just wonder because at this juncture I fully expect you to be posting, unsupported pictures of the moon in threads or something like that.

You don't have to understand it, exactly people are in their illusions and what is outside their illusion is bs.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Lawd, everything suddenly makes sense. [I did some more research.] Jung was a leader in the study of visualization and the unconscious. So Jung was into mysticism, which means he wasn't gripped by God [like he thought], he was gripped by demons; it's doubtful he knew that's what they were. He wrote about his spirit guides where he was first led by a spirit guide called Elijah, which eventually he wrote about changed into an elderly man, Philemon. Jung wrote that Philemon was an external force that had power over his mind. Jung said, "Philemon represented a force which was not myself...it was he who taught me psychic objectivity, the reality of the psyche...there is something in me which can say things that I do not know and do not intend."
He seriously must have thought his spirit guides were God or God's angels leading him into truth. :fpalm:

But this is an argument from fallacy. You initially considered the possibility that Jung had a personal revelation until you researched more and discovered that he was interested in mysticism. Once you heard that, you concluded that Jung had not experienced anything divine, but instead that he had encountered demons. Essentially, you are asserting that mysticism is not included in your understanding of God, so anything that led Jung to mysticism cannot be divine. Jung's experiences are consistent with the experiences of those who are understood to have had a revelation...the only difference is the fruit of that revelation.

I understand that the Bible warns that demons will attempt to impersonate God. And I understand that if Jung decided to kill people because these forces compelled him to, it would be fairly easy to dismiss them as divine. But mysticism, while too broadly defined to count as a philosophy in itself, is not inconsistent with God - it's simply a different path to him. Why do you dismiss Jung's experiences with the facepalm smiley? His conclusions do not mirror the dogma of yours or any other religion, but their lack of specificity represents to me an honest spiritual inquiry, not a demonic hustle.

Lark

Jung used the word libido in pretty much the same manner as we today speak of action potential in neuropsychology http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_potential , expect its noted today that its the same thing that happens in everywhere in our bodies, while jung saw it only a mental energy.

Well the definition of complex is "clusters of feeling toned associations around a common theme". If you think about money for example and think it as the theme and all feeling toned memories you have about money as the associations around it, the first time you had a summer job and was able to buy your first car, when you were little and figured out that you can change money to candy etc etc. Now because of these associations you have developed over the years aroun money is what makes you see money as something else than just a piece of fancy paper. People often think at complex as something negative, which it naturally can be, but isnt it always. It is more prone of being negative because negative things are more easily repressed and repressed things form complexes easier.

These complexes wont morph themselves into archetypes, but you are able to make archetypal associations around some theme, which forms an complex. Im not sure if its neccesary for archetype to have an complex to link itself to in order to have an effect, but that certainly makes the effect of the archetype stronger.

Its not that complexes become a channel, but because there are loads of associations around the theme(which together makes the complex), the complex has more energy than a single thought and can even seem to have its own energy.

I do think that sounds a lot like how Jung used the term.

The two greatest sources on Jung that I've read, besides Jung himself which can be less easily understood on the first reading, have been anthony storr and anthony stevens, even at that it was some time ago, so I could be mistaken about the role of complex and archetype, I agree that complex had none of the negative connotations, it simply was, but it is some how related to the archetypes.

I just absolutely love the jungian version of the mind, with the conscious, unconscious and archetypes and complexes all constilated like a kind of star chart, although I know that jung had a thing for mandalas and its probably meant to resemble that more.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=8543]Nerd Girl[/MENTION] did you type in 'the Bible on mysticism' and choose the first page you came to for information? Because it seems that way.

Christian mysticism refers to the development of mystical practices and theory within Christianity. It has often been connected to mystical theology, especially in the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox traditions. The attributes and means by which Christian mysticism is studied and practiced are varied and range from ecstatic visions of the soul's mystical union with God to simple prayerful contemplation of Holy Scripture (i.e., Lectio Divina). This article addresses the practice of the inner, spiritual life within the Christian tradition.

Peter 1:4 says that God enables Christians to be "partakers of the divine nature."
John 17:21 records Jesus' prayer for his followers during the last supper: "You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; [I pray] that they also may be one in Us."
The mystical experience of the apostles, Peter, John, and James, at the Transfiguration of Jesus, is confirmed in each of the Synoptic Gospels. See, e.g., Mark 9:2-8. Jesus led the three to the top of Mount Tabor. Before the eye of the disciples, he was transformed. His face shone like the sun, and his cloths became brilliant white. Elijah and Moses appeared to them. Then “A cloud came, overshadowing them and a voice came out of the cloud, and said “This is my beloved Son. Listen to him.""[43]
In II Corinthians 12:2-6, St. Paul refers to what tradition says was his own mystical experience, when he speaks of a man who was "caught up to the third heaven." [44]
In Galatians 2:20, Paul says "It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me."
In Ephesians 4:6, Paul writes "[There is] one God and Father of all who is above all and through all and in all.
1 John 4:16: "He who abides in love abides in God, and God in him."
1 Corinthians 6:19: "Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?"
2 Timothy 1:14: "Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you—guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us."

(mĭs'tĭ-sĭz'əm)
n.
Immediate consciousness of the transcendent or ultimate reality or God.
The experience of such communion as described by mystics.
A belief in the existence of realities beyond perceptual or intellectual apprehension that are central to being and directly accessible by subjective experience.
Vague, groundless speculation.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Do you have a specific reference where Jung stated that? After reviewing the videos and several websites, I don't think that's correct. Jung specifically commented on talking to different spiritual entities and called them by name. I posted a quote from Jung earlier in the thread where he named the entities.

But you should understand why jung was talking to these entities and gave them names, jung developed this technique called active imagination http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_imagination and through that he came up with the whole idea of archetypes and collective unconscious(also the idea of individuation). Philemon and those folks were products of active imagination and were archetypes(philemon the archetype of old wise man, salome was his anima).

In 'man and his symbols' jung says this thing about archetypes being from earlier stages of evolution and being in our genes.

I suggest reading what this wiki article says about the red book http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Book_(Jung) and watching the whole interview at op

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
In other words Religions are Archetypes constructs from thought forms, based on supported illusion. ;)

Jung understood this by the end, it was a bit late though, he ran out of time to amplify his own frequency so he presented what he knew the best way he could. And it goes over peoples heads a lot, many people on their paths are out of sync to their energy, and believe in what they believe for a reason. It is safe, it meets the criteria of their ego, their dualism. For to consider that life is more than the sum total of personal ego is incomprehensible. Indeed when one starts to understand the bardos and tibetan book of the dead, there is a lot of wisdom there. Personally Jung was expanding his consciousness and stopped short.

When you focus on the I, is there any energy left for Thy?
When thy will be done?

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I have the holy spirit.

I'm sharing my ideas from a Christian perspective, as supported by the Bible. These are a couple of scriptures that support my hypothesis...

Regard not them that have familiar spirits, neither seek after wizards, to be defiled by them: I am the LORD your God, (Leviticus 19:31).

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God, (1 John 4:1-2).

In other words Christianity is an Archetype constructs from thought forms, based on supported illusion.

Nothing really wrong with it, only that it limits a persons perceptions of the mutidimensional and understand where truth comes from. One can spend a whole life time there in belief, it is once removed from any and all beliefs does one start to expand their manifestation of thy holy spirit. Before then its just ego talk.

Lark

In other words Religions are Archetypes constructs from thought forms, based on supported illusion. ;)

Jung understood this by the end, it was a bit late though, he ran out of time to amplify his own frequency so he presented what he knew the best way he could. And it goes over peoples heads a lot, many people on their paths are out of sync to their energy, and believe in what they believe for a reason. It is safe, it meets the criteria of their ego, their dualism. For to consider that life is more than the sum total of personal ego is incomprehensible. Indeed when one starts to understand the bardos and tibetan book of the dead, there is a lot of wisdom there. Personally Jung was expanding his consciousness and stopped short.

When thy will be done?

No.

A

A window to the soul

But this is an argument from fallacy. You initially considered the possibility that Jung had a personal revelation until you researched more and discovered that he was interested in mysticism. Once you heard that, you concluded that Jung had not experienced anything divine, but instead that he had encountered demons. Essentially, you are asserting that mysticism is not included in your understanding of God, so anything that led Jung to mysticism cannot be divine. Jung's experiences are consistent with the experiences of those who are understood to have had a revelation...the only difference is the fruit of that revelation.
Correct, that's my opinion.

Why do you dismiss Jung's experiences with the facepalm smiley?
I do not dismiss, I grieve. From a Biblical standpoint, I concluded Jung was being led into darkness by entities that were hindering him from developing a relationship with God by way of faith.

I feel that God showed me something through my revelation yesterday about faith. God wants us to come to him in prayer and word. If we're tapping into the spirit realm and talking to spirit guides, we are not seeking God by faith. We are seeking God in signs and wonders because of a lack of faith.

I sincerely believe Jung thought he tapped into God (an external entity).

Are you aware of any scriptures that do not support what i'm saying? If so, it would help me a lot if you would post a reference, so I can better understand.

His conclusions do not mirror the dogma of yours or any other religion, but their lack of specificity represents to me an honest spiritual inquiry, not a demonic hustle.
I agree. I really appreciate the insight.

G

Ginkgo

Wiki:

Jung's assessment of Western religion arose both from his own experiences as well as from the psychotherapeutic work with his European clients. As a young man he had visions and dreams that were powerful and rich with meaning, yet he clung to Christianity. While he believed that God could "do stupendous things to me, things of fire and unearthly light", he was profoundly disappointed by his first communion—in his words, "nothing happened"[2]. He saw the same symptoms in his clients, namely, a fascination with the power of the unconscious, coupled with the inadequacy of Western religious symbols and rituals to represent this power. Summing up his analysis of the modern European situation he said: "Our age wants to experience the psyche for itself ... knowledge, instead of faith."[3]
According to Murray Stein, Jungian training analyst and author, Jung related theological concepts and psychological concepts using three tenets:[4]
That words about theological constructs (such as "God") can be interpreted as referring to structures within the psyche.
That psychologists can evaluate the adequacy of theological constructs against the normative structure and dynamics of the psyche.
That words about the psyche are also words about God, due to the correspondence between the structures of subjectivity and objectivity

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Too few understand their consciousness enough to give more than basic responses thats rehashing basic responses from everywhere else instead of listening to ones inner self.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

When thy will be done?

Nah, religions arent archetypes. Religions are ways to appreciate your unconscious mind by projecting your unconsciousness to some hypothetical entity and worshipping the entity. Its basically the same enlightnment that you have with buddhism and on christianity, the only difference is that in buddhism its seen as knowing yourself(assimilating your unconscious mind with your consciousness by going against your ego) and in christianity its seen as knowing some entity called god(projecting your unconsciousness and the projections are seen by the ego). Imo its better to see the real thing, not some projection that has been altered by other people..

Lark

Nah, religions arent archetypes. Religions are ways to appreciate your unconscious mind by projecting your unconsciousness to some hypothetical entity and worshipping the entity. Its basically the same enlightnment that you have with buddhism and on christianity, the only difference is that in buddhism its seen as knowing yourself(assimilating your unconscious mind with your consciousness by going against your ego) and in christianity its seen as knowing some entity called god(projecting your unconsciousness and the projections are seen by the ego).

No, its not that either. Although synapse is trolling.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Nah, religions arent archetypes. Religions are ways to appreciate your unconscious mind by projecting your unconsciousness to some hypothetical entity and worshipping the entity. Its basically the same enlightnment that you have with buddhism and on christianity, the only difference is that in buddhism its seen as knowing yourself(assimilating your unconscious mind with your consciousness by going against your ego) and in christianity its seen as knowing some entity called god(projecting your unconsciousness and the projections are seen by the ego). Imo its better to see the real thing, not some projection that has been altered by other people..

Almost.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
No, its not that either. Although synapse is trolling.

Do you believe in god(as in some entity)? If so, how can you be sure that your ego simply refuses to see it since, well you know how the ego works, right?

Do you have any arguments why not or are you simply refusing to believe it?