• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Beliefs

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I was thinking about this the other week then abandoned it but was brought to my attention again after watching http://www.ted.com/talks/michael_shermer_the_pattern_behind_self_deception.html

Why do we hold onto beliefs?

Do our beliefs act as a coping mechanism?

What if symbolism is just a coincidence?

Is there any way to distingush a coincidence from a sign (based on our beliefs) to proceed in a particular direction?

Are beliefs just another way to deceive ourselves from something which we choose not to see or believe?

So, I love all things 'New Age' and i own crystals, tarot cards, angel cards, rune stones. I love symbolism thus look out and spot it regularly, especially if it has something to do with with Canada (haha, now it fits with what i want to happen).
I've done a deep meditation to find out a past life because my beliefs i perceive have allowed me to see deeper than what is on the surface, what is more than concrete however what if what i perceive is only an illusion, a self deception which has inturn taken me away from there i need to be (in my life or possibly not) in return for something which brings me joy yet it may not hold any credibly foundations.

For example, i wear 4 crystal bracelets during the day and sleep with 2 stones at night (only uncomfortable when i roll onto them, lol), Rose Quartz is especially important to me because 'i've been told' that it brings self love to the holder (and i need some self love contrary to how i come across on here). I perceive that by holding this crystal everynight that the energy from the crystal is helping me love myself more. I am not sure what kind of scientific evidence could back this up or even if there is any but because i believe in it so much and perceive it to be working thus making me a better person even if it is a possible deception then where lies the truth? Can my truth be the truth even if it isn't to everyone's taste?

Like i stated symbolism is something i always look out for. I see Canada on TV, in books and movies, in conversations (they've told me about something or other to do with the country), flags on bags in the city centre, darn just the other day i got off the bus and the lady infront of me was wearing a black Parka coat and it was only as i was looking down that i noticed it said Canada followed by something or other. If i believe the books i read such as 'The Secret' or 'Guide to Cosmic Ordering' then i am bringing to me what i truly want. Excellent as this fits in with what i want so I'll play along with this synchronism as i can see the underlying patterns here in force, lol. Or maybe and this fucking pains me, maybe because i want to believe it so much, i accept this notion because otherwise it is just a coincidence or many of them, jeez if i looked hard enough maybe i'll see the Australian flag, Aussies talking, Aussie stuff and think shit, i need to live there.

Maybe, just maybe, what i believe is just an illusion to help me cope with what is present in my everyday life.

Grrr, i spent 20 mins in my conservatory discussing this out loud to myself and it sounded better then how i've articulated it here.

Any thoughts??

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is there a significant difference between:

I believe the future will hold good things for me.

and

I believe in angels.

I mean, in either case a person is supposedly irrationally holding on to the idea that their experience in life will ultimately be positive. Does it really matter what form that belief manifests in?

Beorn

Permabanned
Is there a significant difference between:

I believe the future will hold good things for me.

and

I believe in angels.

I mean, in either case a person is supposedly irrationally holding on to the idea that their experience in life will ultimately be positive. Does it really matter what form that belief manifests in?

Is there ultimately a significant difference between believing those things and believing that I will continue to be held to the ground by gravity and not drift into space or that I am a human living on earth in 2012?

Every breath we take and every step we take is ultimately based in beliefs that are unprovable.

The question is: are you living consistently with your own fundamental beliefs?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is there ultimately a significant difference between believing those things and believing that I will continue to be held to the ground by gravity and not drift into space or that I am a human living on earth in 2012?

Every breath we take and every step we take is ultimately based in beliefs that are unprovable.
The question is: are you living consistently with your own fundamental beliefs?

This is true.. but we know there are things that are very very reliable, like gravity. There is no reason that the universe will follow the same patterns, but as far as we know, it always has. But, the assertion that we will have the ability to get some sort of satisfaction out of our lives doesn't have an basis on that sort of knowledge.

Beorn

Permabanned
This is true.. but we know there are things that are very very reliable, like gravity. There is no reason that the universe will follow the same patterns, but as far as we know, it always has.

These things are true. But, why believe in things we perceive to be reliable? Why trust in our perceptions? The further we dig down into what we know the more realize the reason isn't sufficient because we ultimately rely on circular reasoning.

But, the assertion that we will have the ability to get some sort of satisfaction out of our lives doesn't have an basis on that sort of knowledge.

It is a prerequisite for any satisfaction, but does not guarantee satisfaction. We must have faith that there is basic order in the universe to move on to higher level beliefs. That is beliefs build upon each other and simply because most people take for granted the majority of beliefs they hold about how the world works doesn't mean they are any less important or fundamental.