User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default How does your spirituality or lack of it influence your daily life?

I am thinking principally of your behaviour towards others, are you more or less kind than you believe you otherwise would be?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'm kind to strangers i.e holding doors, I always give people my cart at Aldi's and never take their quarter, and general nice behavior. My family, I am very kind and loving to. My lack of spirituality has no bearing on it. Maybe it is easier for me to be kind because I don't have the burden of spirituality or religion in the back of my mind. There is nothing driving me but me.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I'm kind to strangers i.e holding doors, I always give people my cart at Aldi's and never take their quarter, and general nice behavior. My family, I am very kind and loving to. My lack of spirituality has no bearing on it. Maybe it is easier for me to be kind because I don't have the burden of spirituality or religion in the back of my mind. There is nothing driving me but me.
    You think spirituality is a demotivator to kindness?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    You think spirituality is a demotivator to kindness?
    It's possible.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

I act on my personal, evolving opinions of what is warranted toward myself and others. Basing my behaviors on a preexisting, external, fixed mandate is at odds with mine and other humans' individuality and would negate our need to reason for ourselves.

We were born with free will. I use mine to love, hate, befriend, vilify, learn, teach, accept, reject, experience, withdraw, take, give, bestow, receive, eat, sleep and live like everyone else.

I was religious in my youth. I am now agnostic. Differences? I am more cautious, thoughtful, compassionate, confident, straightforward, and tolerant. I believe this is the result of maturity and fastidious introspection. The only things I'm sure I can attribute to a change in self-mandate from foreign-mandate is the reduced guilt I experience for not meeting others expectations as they relate to religious doctrine. Now I only experience guilt for not meeting my own expectations as it relates to my personal judgment of fair and just self-conduct.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

define 'spirituality'.
    How can people reach a conclusion if they dont even agree on the terms.

If you mean all the current variations on religion and its psychological bases well, I find sanity suits me.
    But then again it's all , processes we use everyday. A little bit of assuming the world's structure emerge from an essentially similar process by which ppl act in the world, a little bit of trying to find patterns and using most available\instinctive shapes\concepts (most modern science though based on observed phenomena is counter instinctive for perfectly reasonable evolutionary reasons) and all that wrapped in the imperatives of bounded rationality.

People can choose to see phenomena in themselves and their environment in that anthropocentric light, personally I find I prefer to take a step back. Especially when it comes to defining morals based on a 'spirituality' inspired vision of the world. But that is a very large question and set of answers as spirituality itself is too vague and multiple a concept.

If we're talking about belief well, I believe in a lot of things. I believe a door is solid, I believe you are also consciously experiencing life when i'm talking to you, I am assuming my perceptions are correlated with the rest of the system I am part of. I assume that if it seems like we are speaking the same language my meaning will be translated correctly in your own brain.
    Is that spirituality?
    In a sense yes. In the sense of essentialism at least, the sense of spirituality being structurally different from 'the mere physical'. That there is more to a star than alot of atoms, and to a person than alot of cells. In a sense there is, but I find spirituality often takes the easy way out by drawing a new picture rather than trying to assemble the puzzle.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    define 'spirituality'.
    How can people reach a conclusion if they dont even agree on the terms.

If you mean all the current variations on religion and its psychological bases well, I find sanity suits me.
    But then again it's all , processes we use everyday. A little bit of assuming the world's structure emerge from an essentially similar process by which ppl act in the world, a little bit of trying to find patterns and using most available\instinctive shapes\concepts (most modern science though based on observed phenomena is counter instinctive for perfectly reasonable evolutionary reasons) and all that wrapped in the imperatives of bounded rationality.

People can choose to see phenomena in themselves and their environment in that anthropocentric light, personally I find I prefer to take a step back. Especially when it comes to defining morals based on a 'spirituality' inspired vision of the world. But that is a very large question and set of answers as spirituality itself is too vague and multiple a concept.

If we're talking about belief well, I believe in a lot of things. I believe a door is solid, I believe you are also consciously experiencing life when i'm talking to you, I am assuming my perceptions are correlated with the rest of the system I am part of. I assume that if it seems like we are speaking the same language my meaning will be translated correctly in your own brain.
    Is that spirituality?
    In a sense yes. In the sense of essentialism at least, the sense of spirituality being structurally different from 'the mere physical'. That there is more to a star than alot of atoms, and to a person than alot of cells. In a sense there is, but I find spirituality often takes the easy way out by drawing a new picture rather than trying to assemble the puzzle.
    Why dont you define it for the purposes of your reply post?

There's no trap here, its a discussion and I'm interested in everyones individual conclusions. I'm not interested in the rightness or wrongness or the ethics involved, I'm interested in the connections people make "I believe this, so I behave like that" sort of thing.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I act on my personal, evolving opinions of what is warranted toward myself and others. Basing my behaviors on a preexisting, external, fixed mandate is at odds with mine and other humans' individuality and would negate our need to reason for ourselves.

We were born with free will. I use mine to love, hate, befriend, vilify, learn, teach, accept, reject, experience, withdraw, take, give, bestow, receive, eat, sleep and live like everyone else.

I was religious in my youth. I am now agnostic. Differences? I am more cautious, thoughtful, compassionate, confident, straightforward, and tolerant. I believe this is the result of maturity and fastidious introspection. The only things I'm sure I can attribute to a change in self-mandate from foreign-mandate is the reduced guilt I experience for not meeting others expectations as they relate to religious doctrine. Now I only experience guilt for not meeting my own expectations as it relates to my personal judgment of fair and just self-conduct.
    This is very interesting to me.

Religion or spiritual disciplines do seem to positively correlate with self-reproach for many people I've known. I have heard many people at revival or faith understood together meetings or forums speak of traditional outlooks as typifying this and their personal wish to reframe, reform or change this. It is not something I have experienced or at least no longer experience and yet I dont consider myself to at odds with a traditional outlook, although admittedly it is tradition as I understand it and my religion as I understand it too, I hope there are shared meanings but I also know there are differences too.

Thanks for your response it is interesting.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Why dont you define it for the purposes of your reply post?

There's no trap here, its a discussion and I'm interested in everyones individual conclusions. I'm not interested in the rightness or wrongness or the ethics involved, I'm interested in the connections people make "I believe this, so I behave like that" sort of thing.
    People believe stuff but dont act on it every day, that's a wider topic than spirituality.
    Some people believe they shouldnt eat burgers, but still eat them etc.
    Because we are not only communicating with other people, we are also communicating within ourselves, and this communication isn't perfect, nor do our internal components always agree.
    We fool ourselves because our self esteem and ego is linked to the emotional value we attach to tags rather than their content.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    People believe stuff but dont act on it every day, that's a wider topic than spirituality.

Some people believe they shouldnt eat burgers, but still eat them etc.

Because we are not only communicating with other people, we are also communicating within ourselves, and this communication isn't perfect, not do the part always agree.
    We fool ourselves because our self esteem and ego is linked to the emotional value we attach to tags rather than their content

Because its not kosher or hallal?

Symbolic Interactionism?